The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Moncal
Okay, So if a Sempron was an Athlon 64 with the 64-bit instructions disabled, then why is it still called a Sempron if they reactivate the instructions?

Less L2 cache. 128 or 256KB as opposed to 512KB\1MB on A64s
Reply 21
For most uses the cache is not that important, also there are real 64-BIT semprons on the market now. The 3000 ones do have a 512kb L2 cache, the 2800 have a 256kb l2 and the lower Semprons have a 128k l2. I don't think you can get the 128kb L2 semprons now though.
Reply 22
AT82
For most uses the cache is not that important, also there are real 64-BIT semprons on the market now. The 3000 ones do have a 512kb L2 cache, the 2800 have a 256kb l2 and the lower Semprons have a 128k l2. I don't think you can get the 128kb L2 semprons now though.

The Sempron 3000 for socket A is an exception as it uses the barton core (512k L2) but socket A cpus should be phased out by now (although the odd barton is still for sale here and there). Socket 754 semprons are far superior (the lowly 2600 with 128k L2 @1.6ghz is usually quicker than a celeron 2.6).

AMD will continue to make the 128kb versions because theyre cheap and help get the most £££ from the build process.
I have a Sempron 3000+ skt A in my PC rig, runs about as fast as a Athlon 2800 stock.

The newest skt 754 semprons are great value, 64 bit and overclock like crazy. I wouldn't have a problem pushing them to a full o/c as they are so cheap if it burns out prematurely (a year say) who gives a crap?

Btw to the critics that DON'T have a mac and DON'T know what they are used for, last time I checked you can get one for £299 that will do your word processing, internet and itunes without the threat of viruses. And also looks much sexier than a OEM pc.
Reply 24
Madmanjock
I have a Sempron 3000+ skt A in my PC rig, runs about as fast as a Athlon 2800 stock.

The newest skt 754 semprons are great value, 64 bit and overclock like crazy. I wouldn't have a problem pushing them to a full o/c as they are so cheap if it burns out prematurely (a year say) who gives a crap?

Btw to the critics that DON'T have a mac and DON'T know what they are used for, last time I checked you can get one for £299 that will do your word processing, internet and itunes without the threat of viruses. And also looks much sexier than a OEM pc.

This is a PC thread... not another Mac debate :p:

Besides... you could put one of AT's specced machines in a pretty PC case and still be cheaper than that glorified CDROM drive of a mac.

Interesting thought about the o/cing though :smile:
Mad Vlad
This is a PC thread... not another Mac debate :p:

so...

Mad Vlad

Besides... you could put one of AT's specced machines in a pretty PC case and still be cheaper than that glorified CDROM drive of a mac.

... don't give me more fuel :biggrin:

You could have sex with a transexual, because they look like girls. But a transexual is not a girl, merely a greasy copy for those in denial. PC owners with fancy cases are like that :wink:

Besides which, transexuals don't look like proper women anyway. Like how nothing on the pc market looks as small and "cute" as a mac mini.
Reply 26
Mad Vlad
Building computers for WP and stuff is dead easy and its dead cheap too... £250 is a bit generous in fact! I could do it (at a push) for £150-200 I think... Inc. Monitor :cool:

Yes but does that price include a legal copy of xp? (which is about 80quid no?) - you have to have an OS.
RMIM
Yes but does that price include a legal copy of xp? (which is about 80quid no?) - you have to have an OS.

Depending on how low you want to go theres OEM XP Home for ~£50 and Linux for free.
Reply 28
PieMaster
Depending on how low you want to go theres OEM XP Home for ~£50 and Linux for free.

As a student, I was given a copy of XP Pro for free. :p:
As am I; and Office 2003, Visual Studio, Virtual PC, the MSDN subscription CD's and a whole load of other Microsoft stuff i'll never need.
Reply 30
Madmanjock
so...

You could have sex with a transexual, because they look like girls. But a transexual is not a girl, merely a greasy copy for those in denial. PC owners with fancy cases are like that :wink:

Besides which, transexuals don't look like proper women anyway. Like how nothing on the pc market looks as small and "cute" as a mac mini.

I don't want a metrosexual computer that looks "cute". I want a COMPUTER that I can upgrade. Its not what it looks like that counts - its whats on the inside that counts and lets face it... the mac mini is hardly spectacular. Now stop trolling this thread.
Reply 31
RMIM

As PieMaster said - Linux. Or for just over £200, a copy of XP Home :smile: for £50 OEM.
Reply 32
PieMaster
As am I; and Office 2003, Visual Studio, Virtual PC, the MSDN subscription CD's and a whole load of other Microsoft stuff i'll never need.

Once I've done MCSE I might actually want to try out the copy of Windows 2003 Server they gave me...

@the Mac guy - Even dual G5s suck, my A64 3000 is quicker even in Photoshop :p:
Reply 33
Madmanjock
so...

if you want sex with a transexual, look in the personals in the Birmginham Evening mail; both pre- and post- op trannies! :eek: :askpig:
Reply 34
Mad Vlad
As PieMaster said - Linux. Or for just over £200, a copy of XP Home :smile: for £50 OEM.

Yes but Linux is not for the faint hearted is it? Only people/computer students who are really into computers would ever install such a thing?

Just been to their web site to see what Linux looks like. Can't see a single screen shot. Does it have a GUI? (Oh right, you have to install one.) Can you install copies of word/excel etc that you had for windows? Or it needs it own special versions? Looks like its for advanced users only.

£50 not too bad if you want to keep things legal. Other than not having remote desktop, what disadvantages does homeXP have compaired to ProXP (or win2003 is it?)
Reply 35
Theres lots of different versions for Linux. Most install the GUI for you, but you can choose between a range of GUI's

Open Office is opensource Office. It opens all the filetypes and is 100% compatable, as well as free.

Anyway, back on topic. Get the OEM version of XP, or the even cheaper one
Reply 36
Is this good as a budget pc? Everything you need apart from monitor and OS for £125

AMD DIY PC Kit (Build your own PC)
Reply 37
RMIM
Is this good as a budget pc? Everything you need apart from monitor and OS for £125

AMD DIY PC Kit (Build your own PC)

Not bad for the price...
In a word, maybe.

If all you need is word processing an internet, it would be fine; but (and its a big but) its very old technology. The PC I built 4 years ago would have been the same speed as that.
Reply 39
RMIM
Yes but Linux is not for the faint hearted is it? Only people/computer students who are really into computers would ever install such a thing?

Just been to their web site to see what Linux looks like. Can't see a single screen shot. Does it have a GUI? (Oh right, you have to install one.) Can you install copies of word/excel etc that you had for windows? Or it needs it own special versions? Looks like its for advanced users only.

£50 not too bad if you want to keep things legal. Other than not having remote desktop, what disadvantages does homeXP have compaired to ProXP (or win2003 is it?)

No, Linux isn't for your average user... but that wasn't specified was it - that it had to be XP based :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending