The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ALazyThracian
Ok basically i need advise i'm looking to buy a computer for coursework and light gaming. First off this PC is going for (£200) is it worth it? Also is this PC powerful enough to be able to play newer games out such as Battlefield 3? Thanks

Pentium dual core at 2.8ghz
4G RAm , 2 sata hard drives 160 and a 500
, asus mother board,
cooler master big cooler for cpu,
650 watt psu,
asus donar dg sound card,
ati sapire overclocked edition 7770 1gh and a 4 gig of ram
Samsung sycnmaster responce time 2m 22 inch like new and on windows 7 ultemate

this is for £200?
Seems a bit dodgy, so i'm gonna guess they cheaped out on the psu, ram, motherboard and hard drives.
And the cpu is old tech, the other things are definitely used products.
But it should play BF3 but not sure if it'll play it on high smoothly, maybe a stutter once in a while.
Reply 8361
Will play it at medium at best.

I'd be seriously surprised if that isn't a second hand machine. What PSU is it? You'll probably end up replacing everything but the PSU if it's decent.
Original post by Iqbal007
this is for £200?
Seems a bit dodgy, so i'm gonna guess they cheaped out on the psu, ram, motherboard and hard drives.
And the cpu is old tech, the other things are definitely used products.
But it should play BF3 but not sure if it'll play it on high smoothly, maybe a stutter once in a while.

Iqbal, I'm stuck on my build :frown:

The SATA power cables that came with the Coolermaster PSU will not plug in to my HDD or SSD. I don't want to force them :/

I have a SATA to molex adapter that plugs in fine to the HDD or SSD.

Do you think I'm just gonna have to buy a new cable?
Original post by flown_muse

The SATA power cables that came with the Coolermaster PSU will not plug in to my HDD or SSD. I don't want to force them :/

Are you plugging them in right?
Cos I had to turn the wire around quite a bit to get it in.
As the connector is a L shape.
Reply 8364

Should work fine, the connector should be shaped so it only fits in one orientation similar to a USB stick. Check the port and the connector and line them up.
Are you plugging them in right?
Cos I had to turn the wire around quite a bit to get it in.
As the connector is a L shape.

Original post by Zorg
Should work fine, the connector should be shaped so it only fits in one orientation similar to a USB stick. Check the port and the connector and line them up.

Yep, right way round.

Like I said, there is another that plugs in fine, here are pics:

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNjcuanBn.jpg
utf-8BSU1BRzAwNzAuanBn.jpg

I found this thread too, apparently it might be a problem with Coolermaster in general?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22165835
(edited 11 years ago)
Yep, right way round.

Like I said, there is another that plugs in fine, here are pics:

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNjcuanBn.jpg
utf-8BSU1BRzAwNzAuanBn.jpg

I found this thread too, apparently it might be a problem with Coolermaster in general?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22165835

The big one that plugs in seems fine, push it in a bit harder if you can. I don't have issues with my coolermaster

The other smaller slot is for the sata cable which comes with the motherboard to connect to the motherboard.

SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg
The big one that plugs in seems fine, push it in a bit harder if you can. I don't have issues with my coolermaster

The other smaller slot is for the sata cable which comes with the motherboard to connect to the motherboard.

SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg

Okay, I don't physically know how else to explain this. My partner has tried pushing it in too, and he can't, so it's not a weakness thing. The other cable I have which is for the optical drive, that's the first picture, plugs in with no issues.

The second picture is the plug from the PSU, and I cannot push it past that point. It just will not go in :frown:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nevermind, I hulked out and about took my hand off but it went in. It's really tight. I think I was a bit scared to force it.

Sorry!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay, I don't physically know how else to explain this. My partner has tried pushing it in too, and he can't, so it's not a weakness thing. The other cable I have which is for the optical drive, that's the first picture, plugs in with no issues.

The second picture is the plug from the PSU, and I cannot push it past that point. It just will not go in :frown:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nevermind, I hulked out and about took my hand off but it went in. It's really tight. I think I was a bit scared to force it.

Sorry!!!

Oh ok looool

It seemed more of an issue with the hdd or ssd, cos it seemed quite tight around the left part.
Oh ok looool

It seemed more of an issue with the hdd or ssd, cos it seemed quite tight around the left part.

Yeah :/ I was assuming cable cause it was doing it on both... I was just scared to break about £130 worth of equipment!

I'm nearly done hardware, just need to route power cables and then on to installing windows etc. Woop! :smile:
Yeah :/ I was assuming cable cause it was doing it on both... I was just scared to break about £130 worth of equipment!

I'm nearly done hardware, just need to route power cables and then on to installing windows etc. Woop! :smile:

you should have just one of the other sata power cables you getloads.

Are you doing cable management? so it looks neat.
you should have just one of the other sata power cables you getloads.

Are you doing cable management? so it looks neat.

Wanna see a pic? :smile:
Wanna see a pic? :smile:

sure :smile:
Reply 8373
Sometimes it needs a little wiggle rather than pure force, just for future connector/port issues :tongue:

Lol, I've seen some horrific ideas of cable management. Look forward to this :p:
sure :smile:

Original post by Zorg
Sometimes it needs a little wiggle rather than pure force, just for future connector/port issues :tongue:

Lol, I've seen some horrific ideas of cable management. Look forward to this :p:

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNzEuanBn.jpg

What d'ya think? :colondollar:
utf-8BSU1BRzAwNzEuanBn.jpg

What d'ya think? :colondollar:

turned out pretty well, wheres the gpu?
and does the cpu fan blow upwards?
turned out pretty well, wheres the gpu?
and does the cpu fan blow upwards?

I didn't get one yet... may upgrade in future?

And yeah, it draws air through and expels it out the top of the case.
I didn't get one yet... may upgrade in future?

And yeah, it draws air through and expels it out the top of the case.

oh ok, well you certainly got a lot power in that psu to do quite a bit.

oh ok, thats fine than
oh ok, well you certainly got a lot power in that psu to do quite a bit.

oh ok, thats fine than

hassi94
x

:frown:

My BIOS doesn't detect my SSD. It can see the optical drive and HDD.
Argh!

I've double checked, all cables are in, power cables and data cables, plugged into motherboard fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
:frown:

My BIOS doesn't detect my SSD. It can see the optical drive and HDD.
Argh!

I've double checked, all cables are in, power cables and data cables, plugged into motherboard fine.

just update your bios, it should be running on a old version at the moment.
Than update every other bit of the motherboard, etc

Latest

Trending

Trending