The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Logan
oohhhh its ugly =( do you think that the thermaltake aguila is a good case?

I'd go with the Lian-Li PC7+
Reply 1261
Dont buy socket 939, its not upgradable. Go with AM2 for a budget gaming system. You'll need a PCI-E motherboard.

I have to disagree. If you're starting on a 3200+ or similar, there is a huge amount of upgrade potential available in skt 939. Viable as a top end PC for the next few years.
Reply 1262
estel
I have to disagree. If you're starting on a 3200+ or similar, there is a huge amount of upgrade potential available in skt 939. Viable as a top end PC for the next few years.

Socket 939 CPUs have been out of manufacture for a while now....
Logan
oohhhh its ugly =( do you think that the thermaltake aguila is a good case?

Nope its a horrible case. Get a nice sleek alumium case from Lian-Li or Asus. I only suggested the previous Antec case because of the number of fans it had and the fact it has high functionality.

The Aguila doesnt look very good and it has a slightly above cooling performance with its 120mm fans.
Reply 1264
ive just browsed through lian li cases and they are expensive... but it seems like their functionality are top notch... not the best looking, but they look good either way...
whats the best laptop you can get for around 400?
Reply 1266
beautyqueen
whats the best laptop you can get for around 400?

Try this:

Fujitsu V2085

Logan
ive just browsed through lian li cases and they are expensive... but it seems like their functionality are top notch... not the best looking, but they look good either way...

The PC7+ is about £50 depending on which retailer you buy from, I'd say it was the best value of the Lian Li range.
Reply 1267
ive searched froogle but the cheapest i can find is £56 :biggrin: oh well, i need to save up some more
New custom pc, new cpu, not sure?
INTEL CORE DUO!
Reply 1269
sr4470
Socket 939 CPUs have been out of manufacture for a while now....

yes the cpu's will disappear relatively quickly, but the mobos n ram etc will be available for a few years afterwards i think.

the price of 939 components is likely to go down significantly (as 754 and A did before) once AM2 stocks increase, and the performance difference between a 939 system and its AM2 equivalent is only marginal in the all the benchmarks ive seen. So if you can get 939 at a reduced rate theres no reason why you shouldnt choose it for a budget system, its been fine for me.

unknown soldier
New custom pc, new cpu, not sure?
INTEL CORE DUO!

lol intel rep by any chance?

i believe you mean core 2 duo. core duo bites monkeys. :smile:
Reply 1270
j66
yes the cpu's will disappear relatively quickly, but the mobos n ram etc will be available for a few years afterwards i think.

the price of 939 components is likely to go down significantly (as 754 and A did before) once AM2 stocks increase, and the performance difference between a 939 system and its AM2 equivalent is only marginal in the all the benchmarks ive seen. So if you can get 939 at a reduced rate theres no reason why you shouldnt choose it for a budget system, its been fine for me.

I see your point, its not just the EOL issue, but K8L and newer architectures will be released on AM2 ensuring its greater usefulness in the future.
Reply 1271
I see your point, its not just the EOL issue, but K8L and newer architectures will be released on AM2 ensuring its greater usefulness in the future.

Yep, but I think it depends on what you're using a system for. Even if you want it to be futureproof, buying a lowend 939 system here will be more than adequate for the tasks the OP required; whilst allowing for an upgrade well beyond any game for the next year or two will require.
hi i have this graphics card, HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon 9550 256MB, and its on this site its the 4th one down, just wondeirng if i can set up dual monitors, like one for each screen. i dont want them to display the same thing though
i think you can but not 100% sure.
i have a blue section and a white section on my graphics card, i thnk i need an adapter of some sort to convert it to the standard monitor thingy. n e idea what it is called?
Reply 1275
vincent
i have a blue section and a white section on my graphics card, i thnk i need an adapter of some sort to convert it to the standard monitor thingy. n e idea what it is called?

You'll need a DVI-VGA adapter.
Yeah thats the one, and you can have different things on each screen.
Is this any good?

http://www.packardbell.co.uk/products/packard-bell-smart-tv-s320/productsheet-PB74300101-691.html

I wanted something with a huge screen and this sort of has everything built in which i like. I know others exist where the computer is a seperate box but i can't seem to have any. Another reason i liked this was because i supose it would be quite easy to avoid paying a tv licence because everything is internal you have to go through windows to watch the TV. I've sceen one in PC world and the picture quality is really good, windows and tv alike.

TV System 2 x (PAL,SECAM, DVBT-T), Analog & DVB-T
Video Playback NTSC, PAL, SECAM

^^^^ im a bit confused in the store it says HD on the screen

is there anything else like this ?
1. Its a Packard Bell
2. Its completly unservicable by anyone other than the manufacturer, that means its expensive if it breaks
3. I can't imagine it'd be too great to do work on, a resolution that low over 32" isnt going to be eye friendly.

Latest

Trending

Trending