The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ChiefNX
*Resists urge to be pedantic about this*

well in this case, it is. look on that link that was posted.

I know it's not strictly memory. but i'm not talking generally.
Reply 1901
I know, it wasn't really a criticism. :biggrin:
olileauk
Looks good. It is DX10, though low-end.
Memory is RAM, yes.
what do you mean "soft touch or scratchy"?

soft touch being like glass... smooth
scratchy ones being the other ones, if that makes any sense so you can kinda see the squares in the scratchy ones

sir_inferno
matt/gloss maybe? :/ if so, the only "gloss" screens i've come across are on laptops...

yea... i know somebody that had one of them sony vaio and i think that had a glossy screen but when i was in comet last week I seen this http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=389196 and that had the smooth screen
maybe thats what TFT means when in which case I guess the screen with the mesh computer would be smooth too as it describes it as 19" Widescreen LCD TFT Display with internal speakers
hmm..
thanks for all your help again! :biggrin:
hi guys jus twondered if anyone coul dhelp me, i am tryin gto install xp home onto a sata2 drive it doesnt work anyone know where i can find out how please, vista keeps messing up. i tried to run a virus scan with avg then it froze :s-smilie:
Reply 1904
I've also had some good RMA experiences with Scan.
Reply 1905
Meh, I'm sure that people have individually had some very good and very bad experiences with every type of company in the world. Looking at general trends though (and some larger surveys such as were on romulus5), Scan seems to do better than most.
its like temporary memory, you cant access it dirtectly nor can you keep things stored there!
Jaffaholic
Please explain, how is Random Access Memory not memory? All memory may not be RAM, but at the very least RAM is memory.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

you say it is, he says it isn't! I KNOW WHAT RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY IS!

Look, for a happy medium, Random Access Memory is memory but technically it's a SPECIFIC TYPE of memory.

are you happy now?
Just wondering, having gone back to XP (from the Vista) i have noticed CoD2 has decreased in quality :O:O is this to be expected? the smoothness of the game feels different!
olileauk
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

you say it is, he says it isn't! I KNOW WHAT RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY IS!

Look, for a happy medium, Random Access Memory is memory but technically it's a SPECIFIC TYPE of memory.

are you happy now?

Well remembered. :p:
hi, im looking to buy a new laptop for uni, as my current one is on its last legs.
http://uk.shopping.com/xPF-Packard-Bell-PACKARD-BELL-E2316-PERFORMANCE-LAPTOP

the things i want are:
good speakers
15in+ widescreen
2GB ram
160GB hard dive
bluetooth, wifi
vista
a decent dual core processor
the only game i will play is football manager but i want all the leagues! or maybe halo 2 vista just cos i can

my budget is around £800

any advice on a model?
im currently looking at dells, sony vaios and hp. which 1 would u recommend?

thanks for reading :smile:
one thing i have heard, NEVER GET PACKARD HELL :P
Jesus christ how much is that junk you linked hehe (price: A cup of tea?)
i can show you a laptop that covers all of those things except the 15" screen for £720.
olileauk
i can show you a laptop that covers all of those things except the 15" screen for £720.

oooo show me, show me! :biggrin:
as long as the screen quality is gd as my current laptops screen isnt
http://h41306.www4.hp.com/itemDetails?SID=9c125423aa14b2941cb06dd5ced9342c62d:1222&sku=GJ018EA

^ £680 + vat takes it to £800 + £10 P&P, but use the code "hpsale and you get 10% off (so £720) plus free P&P!
Bleached
one thing i have heard, NEVER GET PACKARD HELL :P
Jesus christ how much is that junk you linked hehe (price: A cup of tea?)

lol, i got that one like 3 years ago for like £450 i think. its probably worth less than a cup of tea now. the battery only lasts 4minutes, it crash when i run IE, itunes & MSN at th same time.. so its basically VERY ANNOYING! lol
olileauk
http://h41306.www4.hp.com/itemDetails?SID=9c125423aa14b2941cb06dd5ced9342c62d:1222&sku=GJ018EA

^ £680 + vat takes it to £800 + £10 P&P, but use the code "hpsale and you get 10% off (so £720) plus free P&P!

hmm looks good but...
i have £100 more to spend! could you get the same but with a bigger screen?

hmmmm this is probably my top choice atm tho.
thanks 4 the help! :smile:
Reply 1917
Hi everyone, was wondering if you could help. I am currently annoyed with my Acer being so slow and irritating and need to buy a new laptop for uni because this one is going to die soon (I can feel it). I have no idea what I should buy, or what it will need to have. I mainly use my laptop for music and pictures (I take ALOT of pictures). I also like to play movies on it. BUT I don't want anything too big, I will also need it to be quite fast as I am very impatient and it needs to have wireless. I don't have a job so below £500 would be my budget, any help would be appreciated. thanks xx
i think iv decided what to get... a dell inspiron 9400. its just cos i can customise to have what i want, even tho its over budget!
Spec:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 Processor (1.83GHz,667MHz,2MB L2 cache)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
17" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
160GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 128MB shared graphics memory
Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (80 Whr)
Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data Rate, for Vista
Built in speakers and subwoofer
£921

what u guys think? good choice?

oh and why do people want XP instead of vista?

thanks 4 any help :biggrin:
Thats not a good deal, wait until there is a better offer on. A few months back there was a inspiron 9400 with a 2ghz processor and a 7900gs graphic card for £900

Latest

Trending

Trending