Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightRain1)
    Hi, im a Muslim too! In Islam its compulsory to wear a scarf! They are different ways of wearing a scarf, so try different ways, but DONT take it off, it will be stupid to do so. I assume Sidra, you cant. Its forbiden in Islam, this life is a test and for Allah you cant even do that. Im 12 and I wear a scarf everywhere.
    No it isn't. Reread your Qu'ran and properly this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidra111)
    i have not intension of making people realise that islam is not a good religion or niether to get their attention. islam gives you freedom to do whatever you want. i was so wrorried and whenever i am worried i shared with my mom. recently i had arguement about scarf with my mom so cannot share my feeling with her. i was feeling so lonely and depressed and to be able to calm down i asked for advice to people on what should i do.
    in addition, if i asked my dad to take off my scarf, he would go mad at me and probably scold my mom for not doing a good upbringing of me or not told me the right way to talk to parents. i don't want my mom to be insulted becasue of me. furthermore, it could have a bad impact on my younger siblings that their older sister is not listening to parents and my parents might blame me if anyone of my bothers and sisters didn't listen to my parents. my parents always used to proud on me but the issue scarf has spoiled everything

yes Islam is a good a whole way of life and yes women and men in islam are told to dress modestly and surely your headscarf is a strong identity of the faith we follow as muslim women. we are protected from being objectified and teased in a sexual manner when in a hijab your father is most likely looking from this point of veiw and that does not make your parents bad at all..........

the headscarf acts like a filter for keeping away the lustful gaze of men and yes your young and want to showoff your beauty but sis be patient inshallah.

you seem like a very caring daughter mashallah, just look in to the rewards of wearing the hijab and then make your mind up........:yep:

ReputationRep:
    islam gives you freedom to do whatever you want.
    Hahaha. You joker you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayDay92)
    Why have you put "pbuh" randomly at the end there for no reason?
    Wagwan Jude, you can't be a muslim because you ain't wearing a hijab/headscarf in your pic then why are you taking offense?

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    People wear the hijab out of modesty? Is that why I see so many hijab-wearing girls with their thongs hanging out? :rolleyes:

I don't understand Islamic culture at all. It's completely incompatible with Western culture.
    no, people SHOULD wear hijab out of modesty, it’s up to ourselves to follow Islam properly. don’t judge Islam on its followers, judge it from the authentic sources i.e. Quran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommy5x)
    yes it is.
    Obligation of Hijab as Stated in Qur'an

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (jalabib) close round them (when they go abroad)..." (33:59)

Ibn Rushd in Bidaya al-Mujtahid (1:83) said that this verse has been adduced as proof that no part of a woman's body should be evident to those who are not among the prohibited degrees of relationship (mahram) or her husband. Al-Qurtubi in his commentary on the verse said that the jilbab is the cloak that conceals all of the body including the head.

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms..." (24:31) "…only that which is apparent" applies to women’s face and hands.

"... And when you ask of them (the wives of the Prophet) anything, ask it of them from behind a veil. . ." (33:53) Al-Qurtubi said in commentary of this verse: "The consensus of Muslims is that the genitals and backside constitute nakedness for men and women, as well as all of woman except her face and hands, but some disagreed about the latter two." This means the consensus of Muslims included them in the definition of her nakedness based on verse 33:59 and the hadith cited below.

Obligation of Hijab as Stated in Hadith

Among proofs for the veil in the Sunna are the following authentic hadiths (traditional reports) of the Prophet – (s):

"Ayesha (r) reported that Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr (r) came to the Messenger of Allah (s) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." [Abu Dawud]

Ibn Qudama in al-Mughni (1:349) explained that showing the face and hands are a specific dispensation within the general meaning of the hadith "All of the woman’s body is considered her nakedness [to those outside the mahram relationship or her husband]." (al-mar'atu `awra)

`Ayesha (r) said: "I used to enter the room where the Messenger of Allah (s) and my father (Abu Bakr) were later buried in without having my garment on me, saying it is only my husband and my father. But when 'Umar ibn Al-Khattab (r) was later buried in (the same place), I did not enter the room except that I had my garment on being shy from 'Umar."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cravez)
    no, people SHOULD wear hijab out of modesty, it’s up to ourselves to follow Islam properly. don’t judge Islam on its followers, judge it from the authentic sources i.e. Quran.
    I couldn't give a toss about any 'authentic source' about religion. It's all oppressive nonsense to me.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't give a toss about any 'authentic source' about religion. It's all oppressive nonsense to me.
    If thats what you want to believe then sure thats fine, but im not talking about that, i was simply clearing your misconception.

ReputationRep:
    so many hijab-wearing girls with their thongs hanging out? :rolleyes:
    No, you don't. You see one or two but please don't exaggerate. Even if you did, which is highly unlikely, they weren't following the rules properly.

(Original post by Godspeed)
    I don't understand Islamic culture at all. It's completely incompatible with Western culture.
    Probably is.

ReputationRep:
    what are you confused about? i only wear head scarf and don't wear hijab. hijab and headscarf are different from each other. you wear scarf to cover your head and wear hijab to cover your whole body. i only wear headscarf which only covers my head however i do wear western clothes as longer as they are not too tie :rolley
    if you are still confuse, i would recommend you to do some research or please do not hesitate to ask question
    Hijab, while it means 'cover' in Arabic, is widely known to mean headscarf in both muslim and non-muslim circles, in arabic and non-arabic countries. If you cover everything (with any type of non-tight clothes) except your hands (perhaps forearms), feet and face then it is hijab.
    If I was talking about one garment which loosely covers the whole body I'd say jlbab, or abaya or any type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    No, you don't.
    Yes, I do.

(Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    they weren't following the rules properly.
    The rules? Pfft. Whose rules? Your rules? Your 'god's' rules? Please.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do.
    Something like this:

Or something accidental like this:

The second one could of also been avoided if they take the reccomended/compulsory(depending on interpretation) jilbab.

The rules? Pfft. Whose rules? Your rules? Your 'god's' rules? Please.
    Not my Gods because I don't have any Gods because I don't believe in any gods. Anyway, the Islamic God.

ReputationRep:
    are you muslim = if so, could you please quote from the quran where it says you don't have to wear scarf so i could show to my parents that i could be a good muslim without wearing scarf
    I'm not being funny but why don't you get off your arse and find it yourself :confused: if you're so desperate to show the evidence to your parents ...

Also, only you can decide what makes you a good muslim, if you respect all the other beliefs or whatever I fail to see how not wearing a headscarf makes you a bad muslim. It doesn't make you any less of a muslim/less worthy etc. If you don't want to wear it, and you don't feel like you have to, then don't wear it, it's that simple

ReputationRep:
    This is why religion annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    Also, only you can decide what makes you a good muslim, if you respect all the other beliefs or whatever I fail to see how not wearing a headscarf makes you a bad muslim. It doesn't make you any less of a muslim/less worthy etc. If you don't want to wear it, and you don't feel like you have to, then don't wear it, it's that simple
    It's not that simple. The general rule of thumb is the more religious a Muslim is, the more 'better' he is because of the fact that he is religious ergo can resist temptations better than your average Muslim. Now, if you see religious Muslim women chances are they will be wearing the niqab or jilbab. The hijab according to most Muslims is compulsory (it's noted in other hadiths as well), therefore by not doing something compulsory you are ignoring one of Islam's rules which means you have a negative point which reduces your chance to get into heaven.

TLDR: It does make her less of a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cravez)
    yes it is.
    My translation of the Qu'ran (by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, often reputed to be the most faithful rendering in English to original texts) differs from your in some quite significant ways. Those passages in my version, in their entirety and in the context of the surrounding passages are basic guides to ettiquete, telling women to preserve their modesty ehilst taking no particular pains to do so. The phrase 'as is most convinient takes a very prominent place,' not to mention that at no point to those passages mention scarves.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Sidra

I have read most of your posts. I understand how you're feeling, I think it should be a personal choice. I agree with Crave's post where (s)he has quoted a quraan translation and yes it does say in the quraan to cover yourself, it's to preserve your beauty and for modesty reasons. In hadeeth it states that the world is paradise for the disbeliever and prison for the believer - this is telling us life is hard and will be hard as it is a test but it doesn't matter because you'll get rewarded for it. I really hate the posts where people have wrote bad things about your dad & mum - astaghfirullah! Whether they be wrong or right, they're your parents and you have a duty to listen to them.

I'm a Muslim and I don't wear a headscarf but I do believe you have to, I hope I get the guidance to wear it some day. Maybe you don't understand why you wear it and therefore you see your parents comments as opression. Even though the way they tell you to may be, it's not for any of us to go against Allah's words.

My advice to you - just keep wearing it. It's best to avoid your parents treating you badly over something so little. In their hearts, it is for your own good even if they're going about it wrong. You're a girl so you'll get married and move out some day, then do as you wish cos you won't be under their roof anymore. Whatever you choose - they'll still love you despite what they say.

To all others who may have seen her post as negative towards Islam. I think she may have written her points a little incorrectly. Islam does not oppress women. Sidra's portrayal of her family is cultural, not all Muslim parents are the same. End of the day, they're just humans and make mistakes. It might look like Islam makes life hell to the onlookers, but it's the people that are doing wrong. Do not judge a religion by the followers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    This is why religion annoys me.
    Really? I think it's pretty fascinating.

I'd love to set up a controlled experiment where I introduced religions to artificial, isolated communities. I'd subject each individual community to religions of increasing severity to see how ridiculous their circumstances could be made before they stopped adhering to them.

There would be plenty of arbitrary, pointless rules such as always having to wear certain items of clothing, eating certain foods would be forbidden, they would have to constantly observe pointless customs. They would be offered the promise of eternal heaven if they complied, but any deviation from the rules would result in strict punishment.

I think someone beat me to the chase though.

ReputationRep:
    My mom is Muslim,
    She does not wear any scarf.
    She is very religious.
    Now for those of people who are saying "woman without scarf are not muslim" Is my mother atheist?
    For God's sake it was 1400 years ago that Qoran came to the world. Almost everything changed.
    Please know that Islam is a Mental Religion which is how you comment on things like scarf etc...
    e.g Many people think that cigs are OK to smoke cause there is no info in qoran, but drinking alcohol is sin cause it harms to body. I've seen many people like that and cannot understand them.

Anyway
    There should BE NOONE between you and Allah(God)
    If you don't want to wear, then don't wear it. Your parents or family cannot decide if you deserve to burn in hell or not. The body that you are carrying is YOURS, the soul that is inside is YOURS, THE LIFE IS YOURS, NOT YOUR PARENTS!!! LIVE THIS LIFE FOR YOURSELF NOT FOR YOUR ENVIROMENT!!! If you harm noone and never do bad against people and other living creatures, I mean If you become a good person whom is sought by everyone. Then who would care if you wear scarf or not...
    If scarf makes you unhappy and when you live this world like crap you won't be able to be a good person.
    So please take all of these comments as a suggestion, and do the best that goes through your heart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommy5x)
    So you are saying: All girls dont need to wear a scarf. How weird. Number 1: Your not muslim.

So calm down.
    I have read the Quran, and I think you should start wearing spectacles because our Prohet Muhammed P.B.U.H is saying that all girls should protect them selves with a Hijab, Nickab and A Scarf.

So calm it brother.:mad:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.