Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mozfadz)
    You're very welcome! I'm 21 and my parents are very traditional asian and a lot of my friends come from similar backgrounds. I went to an Islamic boarding school when I was 13, it wasn't exactly by choice but I wasn't forced to, it's like when your parents go on about something then you don't want to disappoint them so was pushed into it - but I learnt a lot from the experience and it actually makes my job/college application look good (independence at a young age for knowledge an' all lol).

It's not for anyone to say that another person is not a Muslim. You definitely can not judge by appearances and clothing. Only Allah knows what's in a person's heart.

Peace.
    Which boarding school did you go to?

(Original post by thewiseone)
    “O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)
    'draw their cloaks close round them' .. ok.. so where does it say you have to wear a headscarf??

I have muslim friends, some wore headscarf some didn't, one or two muslim girls at college tied their scarves like this..

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_170x135.106781295.jpg

...maybe you could do that if you prefer, if not wearing one at all will cause that much of an issue for you?

Really though, I think you should be able to make your own choice.

Do you really believe that when you die Allah will be like 'you stopped wearing a headscarf -- go to hell'... no.. I think Allah would be more concerned about you being a good person, who does good things and helps other people. You can be a modest person without wearing a headscarf.

ReputationRep:
    I went to an islamic charity dinner and I was the photographer, many people did not wear scarfs, most did, some covered their faces even.
    I have been given copies of the quaran etc as I think some friends want to convert me. Could I ask, do you sleep in them. Can your husband see you without them on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxkatiexxx)
    I went to an islamic charity dinner and I was the photographer, many people did not wear scarfs, most did, some covered their faces even.

I have been given copies of the quaran etc as I think some friends want to convert me. Could I ask, do you sleep in them. Can your husband see you without them on?
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    no and yes.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really believe that when you die Allah will be like 'you stopped wearing a headscarf -- go to hell'... no.. I think Allah would be more concerned about you being a good person, who does good things and helps other people. You can be a modest person without wearing a headscarf.[/QUOTE]
    exactly, but my parents don't understand this. when i first took off scarf my parents thought i am getting out of their control and if they didn't control right now they would never be able to control me. my mom said 'u r flying in air, get down on the ground'. in addition, i am 17, go to sixth form college and everyone has a cell phone where i don't. my parents think if they allowd me to have a cell phone, i would start texting to boys and one day ruin their honour. i hate all these things. my bother (1 year older than me) has 5 cell phone no fair to me!:mad: he also stayed for so long outside home and they don't even say anything to him and when i just go to park or morrsion they say 'where did u go without telling us'. also i'm not allowed to go out on my own, i have to take my younger brother or sister with me. if i didn't, they would prbably think, i'd gone to meet a boy privately.
    i have to get permission of my parents to do even a samll thing, so annoying:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommy5x)
    My translation of the Qu'ran (by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, often reputed to be the most faithful rendering in English to original texts) differs from your in some quite significant ways. Those passages in my version, in their entirety and in the context of the surrounding passages are basic guides to ettiquete, telling women to preserve their modesty ehilst taking no particular pains to do so. The phrase 'as is most convinient takes a very prominent place,' not to mention that at no point to those passages mention scarves.
    those passages are commands because the verse starts of with
    يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ
    the prophet is ordered to command the muslims to do such and such.

according to the vast majority of Muslims Sunni and Shia, al-Mawrid al-Qawrid Arabic dictionary, Hans-Wehr Dictionary of Arabic into English, and the exhaustive ancient Arabic dictionary "Lisan al-arab", (literally the tongue of the Arabs) the word 'Khimar' means and was used to refer to a piece of cloth that covers the head, or headscarf today called 'hijab'. Overwhelming evidence from the hadith is also proof that it is obligatory.

ReputationRep:
    Well then commands to basic modesty. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the hadith aren't given the mandate of Allah's commandment by the Qur'an, so they're actually a statement of the Prophet's preference rather than Allah's word. How can anything be deemed obligatory due to an interpretation of arcane texts about a man ( a fallible man) when such things were not explicitly stated as being obligatory by the God who consecrated him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidra111)
    Do you really believe that when you die Allah will be like 'you stopped wearing a headscarf -- go to hell'... no.. I think Allah would be more concerned about you being a good person, who does good things and helps other people. You can be a modest person without wearing a headscarf.
    exactly, but my parents don't understand this. when i first took off scarf my parents thought i am getting out of their control and if they didn't control right now they would never be able to control me. my mom said 'u r flying in air, get down on the ground'. in addition, i am 17, go to sixth form college and everyone has a cell phone where i don't. my parents think if they allowd me to have a cell phone, i would start texting to boys and one day ruin their honour. i hate all these things. my bother (1 year older than me) has 5 cell phone no fair to me!:mad: he also stayed for so long outside home and they don't even say anything to him and when i just go to park or morrsion they say 'where did u go without telling us'. also i'm not allowed to go out on my own, i have to take my younger brother or sister with me. if i didn't, they would prbably think, i'd gone to meet a boy privately.
    i have to get permission of my parents to do even a samll thing, so annoying:mad:[/QUOTE]
    I don't know UK rules but as far as I know you are allowed to be free to do any intercourses and other stuff in which the right is given by laws. You can simply say that the life is mine, from now on just advise me what to do or not to do, do not force me anymore. You gotta be free in this life, else you'd have many problems with life.
    Turkey is not officially muslim country but more than 95% is muslim, and nowadays if you ask girls who are aged between 18-20 if they are still virgin or not more than 50% would say not virgin anymore, cause they know the boy that they will marry would be probably not virgin as well. You can always rebel your family by doing simple things. e.g buy a cell phone and say ur family that the money is yours so you are the one who knows best how to spend it.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=xxxkatiexxx]I went to an islamic charity dinner and I was the photographer, many people did not wear scarfs, most did, some covered their faces even.
    I have been given copies of the quaran etc as I think some friends want to convert me. Could I ask, do you sleep in them. Can your husband see you without them on?[/QUO
    i suppose he can as he will be ur huband and u r allowed to share everything with him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hidden_desire)
    Which boarding school did you go to?
    Bradford. Why?

No, don't sleep in them. Who's gonna see you when you're asleep? You don't have to wear it in front of your father, grandfather, brother, husband, uncle, nephew and son, pretty much in front of all other men though.
    Your husband can see you however, he can even see you totally naked. The point is only he can.

ReputationRep:
    You're human first, muslim second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Your father sounds like a *******, to be honest. Don't let anyone dictate how you do and do not live your life, you are an adult now and free to do as you please.

How can YOU write this word and nothing happens, yet I type [6 letter word -begins with D, ends in E] and I get a warning and the post gets deleted? BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaza2345)
    How can YOU write this word and nothing happens, yet I type [6 letter word -begins with D, ends in E] and I get a warning and the post gets deleted? BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    You mean douche?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidra111)
    i have to get permission of my parents to do even a samll thing, so annoying:mad:

I'm so glad I've not had Islam forced upon me. It is so oppressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaza2345)

Because I'm special :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmen)
    r u muslim ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightRain1)
    Please dont be racist though. If you dont belive in Allah, that doesn't mean everyone will follow you.

Last chance.
    are you for real?

being an atheist isn't racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmen)
    So true.. Anything that can make parents abuse and in some cases murder their child over a rag is extremely dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    To the sister who started this thread:

Number 1:

Fear Allaah.

Number 2:

I swear by Allaah for every person who abandons the compulsory acts in Islaam that NUMEROUS non Muslims enter Islaam and become close to Allaah.

I have seen it myself and I see it every day.

Sister, you are not in an Islaamic state where these things are applicable by law, but know that if you reject the commandments of Allaah then you will be replaced and forgotten about unless you repent and turn back to the One who Created you.

You doing this will not affect Islaam in the slightest. It is equivalent to you headbutting a mountain trying to destroy it.

"O you who headbutt the mountain! Have mercy on your head!"

And to the non Muslims who say that Islaam is oppressive, get real. You call oppressive a religion which in its holy scriptures calls for women to be protected and loved? In which we are told the best thing in the world is not gold nor silver but a virtuous woman? In which [in an Islaamic State] if one Muslim woman was ever even touched in a harmful way by a non Muslim, wars would literally be waged over her dignity? [Has happened in Islaamic history]. In which we are told that the best of men is he who is best to his wife?

Sister, remember that when we die, we know that we will be brought to account for everything we have done.

As one Muslim Poet recently said :

"This life is like a dream, you get excited when you're involved. But when you die you look back and say 'Is that all?' "

The next life is our aim and woe to the Muslims who sacrifices eternal happiness for this world.

And if anyone who reads this still wants to believe that Islaam is a repressive religion, then my advice to you with intellect, is not to judge Islaam by the Muslims, but rather by its scriptures. I would have thought it is common sense but I guess even that is not common. Does it now make sense to you why 2/3rds of all Muslim converts are women? [In the USA which as seen as the beacon of democracy]

I thank Allaah for allowing me to speak up in defence of His Religion, even though it does not need me to defend it.

And finally to the sister who started this thread, may Allaah guide you and keep you guided if not may Allaah replace you with a Convert sister who is strict upon her religion and may Allaah grant her paradise.
    Every Muslim who reads this say 'aameen in their hearts.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.