Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, up until a few days ago I was still unsure whether or not I would be going to uni. This was due to the fact that I have had a pretty decent job for the past 6 months on a fixed term contact which ends on Thursday, but they were considering extending it to give me another 6 months. If they had extended it I would have withdrawn from uni and carried on working there instead. Unfortunately, on Friday I found out that they have decided they can't afford to keep me on (it's a Parish Council btw)

So anyway, after hearing this, I decided I would definitely give uni a go, even though I have had reservations about it for some time. The course I would be doing is American studies, which I know most people think is a Mickey Mouse degree and not worth doing, which is part of what puts me off. I did really like the idea of moving away and having a fresh start somewhere else, but after looking at pictures of the accommodation I would be staying in (I never visited the accommodation on the open day as I was ill and went home early) I have really started to wonder if I'm doing the right thing by going. I started uni last year and dropped out because I hated the campus and the accommodation and couldn't settle in at all. The room just doesn't look at all nice and I know that shouldn't be reason enough not to go but I'm just worried I'll hate it and want to drop out again and I won't do well if I'm unhappy.

On the other hand, if I stay here I'm back to square one looking for a job and I might end up doing one I hate. I just really don't know what to do with my life at the moment

Please help!

tl;dr do I go to uni to do a degree which isn't respected or stay at home and try to get a job, risking ending up on jobseekers.

ReputationRep:
    How about commuting, this is what im doing as im unhappy living in halls and happier at home with my studies, so i will commute. You should think about the same

ReputationRep:
    I would but I think 1 and a half hour journey to get there is a bit far, would be 3 hours of driving every day.

ReputationRep:
    yeh im taking the train which is a 90 minute ride, and its not bad tbh, just do my work on the train. If it means spending more time with the family, so be it, its a good enough motivator for me

ReputationRep:
    i know it's easy to say, but your best idea in my opinion is to try it out give it a fair crack, try and settle in the accommodation and course, if you still dont like it after the first term or so then back out. the last thing you want is to end up being on jobseekers regretting not giving uni another go

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you move into private accommodation? I think you need to decide whether you actually want to study this course? if you'll enjoy it then just go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Of_the_hook)
    Why don't you move into private accommodation? I think you need to decide whether you actually want to study this course? if you'll enjoy it then just go for it
    I'd like to but it's probably too late to sort anything out now =[

ReputationRep:
    Would like some more opinions on this please!

ReputationRep:
    I say give it a go, I went on an open day and the accommodation didn't look very nice, but once I'd moved everything in it seemed a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    I would make a decision before lectures start so your comfortable I'm moving out and committing before Monday so I'm organised don't force your self do what makes you comfortable if part life is Not for you committing may be your better options

ReputationRep:
    TBH, if youre uni is anything like here (Manchester) you can get nice accomodation for as cheap if not cheaper than uni halls. Halls you tend to pay more than they are worth as they hire security guards, cleaners, are more insured, are very close to campus, etc, but you could easily find somewhere very nice to stay for the same price or less if you dont go for student housing.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.