Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chillwave is the new punk rock Watch

ReputationRep:
    lol at the 'new'

**** t and **** u are da best salem stuff

must collab that **** with tnps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Chillwave is absolutely nothing like punk.
    It shares A lot of the attitude of punk, cheap to get into, don't need much musical skill, gets around via word of mouth etc.

In fact it's even fairly musically similar, punk was just fast loud pop music, chillwave is just pop music with lots of reverb on everything.

Sorry about the bump, I've been banned for a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storm_jh)
    It shares A lot of the attitude of punk, cheap to get into, don't need much musical skill, gets around via word of mouth etc.

In fact it's even fairly musically similar, punk was just fast loud pop music, chillwave is just pop music with lots of reverb on everything.

Sorry about the bump, I've been banned for a week.
    You sounds like you know absolutely nothing about punk, it was one of, it not the most influential genres of music ever. It was so much more than just fast loud pop music.

ReputationRep:
    You sounds like you know absolutely nothing about punk, it was one of, it not the most influential genres of music ever. It was so much more than just fast loud pop music.
    No it wasn't.

Beatles song's speeded up.

ReputationRep:
    No it wasn't.

Beatles song's speeded up.
    Point proven, you're an idiot. Enjoy your chillwave, I will stick with my ramones, clash and black flag though.

ReputationRep:
    Point proven, you're an idiot. Enjoy your chillwave, I will stick with my ramones and blag flag though.
    Blag Flag? they sound good.

But most punk rock is just pop music played a bit faster/louder, 3 chords, mostly meaningless lyrics and not much musical talent, I never said I didn't like it though.

ReputationRep:
    Blag Flag? they sound good.

But most punk rock is just pop music played a bit faster/louder, 3 chords, mostly meaningless lyrics and not much musical talent, I never said I didn't like it though.
    Yes I meant black flag.

It depends what you mean by punk, if you mean modern, commercial punk bands then you would be right, but thats not real punk, modern bands like gallows, cancer bats, refused and so on are more punk, and they are definitely not as you described them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I meant black flag.

It depends what you mean by punk, if you mean modern, commercial punk bands then you would be right, but thats not real punk, modern bands like gallows, cancer bats, refused and so on are more punk, and they are definitely not as you described them.
    You think gallows song's are any more complicated or meaningful than pop music?

ReputationRep:
    You think gallows song's are any more complicated or meaningful than pop music?
    Yes I know they are, have you ever listened to grey britain?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know they are, have you ever listened to grey britain?
    Must say I haven't, I only have orchestra of wolves, gone off punk recently. But I really doubt it's particularly complicated or deep.

ReputationRep:
    Must say I haven't, I only have orchestra of wolves, gone off punk recently. But I really doubt it's particularly complicated or deep.
    Then you would be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Then you would be wrong.
    Still doesn't change the fact that chillwave and punk are fairly similar.

ReputationRep:
    Still doesn't change the fact that chillwave and punk are fairly similar.
    No, no they are not all all.

ReputationRep:
    No, no they are not all all.
    How are they not?

Non/anti commercial
    Musically simplistic
    Easy to get in to making

If you really can't see the similarities you really are an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    How are they not?

Non/anti commercial
    Musically simplistic
    Easy to get in to making

If you really can't see the similarities you really are an idiot.
    You have shown throughout this thread that you do not understand punk at all. Dubstep is non commercial, simple and easy to make, yet it is nothing like punk.

ReputationRep:
    You have shown throughout this thread that you do not understand punk at all. Dubstep is non commercial, simple and easy to make, yet it is nothing like punk.
    Go on then, give me the characteristics that define punk.

ReputationRep:
    Go on then, give me the characteristics that define punk.
    Punk is about what lead up to it, people annoyed at the state of the music industry, people who use music to voice their opinions, not caring what other people think making a stand for what you believe in and so much more.

You said punk has meaningless lyrics, thats just completely untrue. Listen to minor threat, listen to the sex pistols, and tell them that their lyrics are meaningless. Punk is the most political music genre in history.

ReputationRep:
    Punk is about what lead up to it, people annoyed at the state of the music industry, people who use music to voice their opinions, not caring what other people think making a stand for what you believe in and so much more.
    So, like chillwave then?

You said punk has meaningless lyrics, thats just completely untrue. Listen to minor threat, listen to the sex pistols, and tell them that their lyrics are meaningless. Punk is the most political music genre in history.
    I said most punk has meaningless lyrics, and a lot of punk that is 'political' is often fairly shallow rubbish that could have been written by any 16 year old.

And the sex pistols were utterly manufactured ****.

ReputationRep:

:ahee:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.