Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone taking the new driving test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, is anyone taking the new driving test starting from October 4th? Also is anyone taking it in Dorchester?

I have my driving test on the 8th of Oct, and I'm really nervous about the new section 'Independent driving', just wondering if anyone else taking the new test feels the same?

ReputationRep:
    i've not actually booked my test yet (nor is it in dorchester) but my instructor has been through it with me quite a few times. it's good because it means u only have to do one manuveur. also, it doesn't matter if you get lost, as long as your driving is okay then they will direct you back to the route you should be on. i wouldn't worry about it too much, tbh i think that the change works in our favour. good luck though drive safe

ReputationRep:
    Not in Dorchester but yep I had no choice (stupid test centre cancelled my test and they have two and a half month waiting lists!) due to uni i'm taking it in the xmas hols.

You shouldn't worry, IMO it actually looks easier and more like a normal drive.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking it in November, but not in Dorchester!

I think it'll be better really. Problem is I can't read road signs 'cause my eyes are crap, but I have glasses that I have never worn. I'm going to try and get contacts before my test but otherwise I'll obviously wear my glasses!

I'm glad there's only one manouver now. They're probably more likely to ask for a bay park or a parallel park since they'll be the most common things you do really. That's my own speculation though.

ReputationRep:
    I will be doing my test soon, my instructor said it's a lot easier than the current test and you will most likely be asked to do a turn in the road for your manouver. It also don't matter if you don't go the right way, as long as you drive safely then it should be perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    mine is 18th oct i dont mind following signs but hate the direction one :L

ReputationRep:
    As i failed my first test a while ago i will be taking this new one when i finally book it. I don't have a clue what it involves though, all i have heard is there is one manouver and some independent driving, anyone know more?

ReputationRep:
    I've failed 4 tests now and have mine on 5th October. In all my tests i've passed all my manouvers and failed in other areas.

I think the independant driving is fine as long as you stay calm and don't panic. Just keep your eyes open and watch for other drivers. Two of my four were failed because the situation another driver put me in.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're asked to follow road signs, it's going to be something very obvious. Otherwise you're just going to be given a set of instructions in advance and you'll need to follow them without being guided. You just need to remember 'left left right left' or something. If it means one less manoeuvre to potentially get caught out on, I'd be quite happy about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magical Man)
    I've failed 4 tests now and have mine on 5th October. In all my tests i've passed all my manouvers and failed in other areas.

I think the independant driving is fine as long as you stay calm and don't panic. Just keep your eyes open and watch for other drivers. Two of my four were failed because the situation another driver put me in.
    Ooh let me know how it goes! Post on here once you have had it! I'd love to know how it went seeing mine is a few days after! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I'm taking it in November, but not in Dorchester!

I think it'll be better really. Problem is I can't read road signs 'cause my eyes are crap, but I have glasses that I have never worn. I'm going to try and get contacts before my test but otherwise I'll obviously wear my glasses!

I'm glad there's only one manouver now. They're probably more likely to ask for a bay park or a parallel park since they'll be the most common things you do really. That's my own speculation though.
    My eyes are crap too and I'm **** at reading signs! I have glasses but even with them on it still take me a while to actually see the signs, and by then its probably too late! haha

ReputationRep:
    My test is the 25th Oct, I failed my first one and I'm actually looking forward to taking the new one.. on my old test I constantly felt on edge because I didn't know when he was going to ask me to turn.. i kept taking wrong turnings because he warned me too late etc, this is more reflective of normal driving.. and I think I'll cope a lot better with this test, plus only one manouvre.. woooooo!!

ReputationRep:
    They have changed it?! Can anyone link me a site detailing the new test please?

ReputationRep:
    I wish they wouldnt vary in what they are saying. For e.g. why cant they just say they wil show us a picture or we will have to use signs, one or the other. Thats another thing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do and im peeved Meant to have had my test in july sometime but the DSA cancelled it because the instructor fell "ill". I argued to get it rescheduled earlier but all I got was Oct 4th the day the bring out this new £$%^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannnnn)
    I will be doing my test soon, my instructor said it's a lot easier than the current test and you will most likely be asked to do a turn in the road for your manouver. It also don't matter if you don't go the right way, as long as you drive safely then it should be perfectly fine.
    xD I really doubt well be given the easiest manouvere when you can only do one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddielouxx)
    Ooh let me know how it goes! Post on here once you have had it! I'd love to know how it went seeing mine is a few days after! Good luck!
    I'll definitely keep you updated but I think you'll be telling me how you got on first!

I checked on the website and they've cancelled it and put it back a month without notifying me!

Good luck, PM me and tell me how you got on if you remember

ReputationRep:
    I have my test on the 5th. I did some independent driving practice today and it's a complete doddle. You feel a bit stressed like you'll forget the way when you're pulled up at the side of the road but you are allowed to ask for directions. So you are approaching a roundabout thinking about picking a lane and you say "oh, which was was it here again?" They tell you. You do it.

It's SO easy. And they are going to be super lenient while it's still new. Just don't go into any no entry zones if you get lost

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for those who will take the new test, i know i would've struggled if i had to do it. But it's meant to make better drivers, so i'm all for it.

ReputationRep:
    OOh let do let us know how it goes! I'd be interested to see how different it all is and whatnot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.