Turn on thread page Beta

Labour Storm Past Tories in Polls watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Labour have less of a mandate to govern. The public rejected them in the election.
    Of course. I'm not claiming otherwise. No party has a mandate to govern. That's why we need another general election within the next 12 months so that we can get back into power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    Well it's not a surprise that the party who are removing all the unaffordable shiny baubles are going to be disliked.

What Joe Public doesn't seem to understand is that it isn't possible to keep living above our means.
    Unless you're a f******g banker or member of the CBI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    You do realise that a 1% lead will create another hung parliament?

As for the Liberal Democrats, i do not support them as my first choice, but they will bounce above 20% come the run up to the next election, and the coalition ain't going to fall until next summer at the earliest.
    No it won't. The way the FPTP system works means that Labour don't even need to win the total vote to get a majority. A 1% lead would do it with ease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    The coalition is doomed to collapse within the next couple of years. You don't seem to realise that you are dealing with the greatest political mind on TSR. I give it two years, max.
    Yes... And the sky is purple; you, single-handely, can stop poverty and corruption in Africa; and England won the World Cup this summer.

The coalition may well fail in two years, but they have a proper mandate (not a moral mandate like you seem to have deluded yourself into believing Labour have - there is no such thing as a moral mandate) to govern; but until then there is no reason to call an election - Labour were rejected by the public in May.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... And the sky is purple; you, single-handely, can stop poverty and corruption in Africa; and England won the World Cup this summer.

The coalition may well fail in two years, but they have a proper mandate (not a moral mandate like you seem to have deluded yourself into believing Labour have - there is no such thing as a moral mandate) to govern; but until then there is no reason to call an election - Labour were rejected by the public in May.
    And so were the Tories.

And we do have a moral mandate, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    If the coalition cuts sufficiently for the Tories to produce a tax cutting manifesto in 2015, running against Ed "permanent 50p tax rate" Miliband, we'll see who ends up storming ahead of who.

Labour's best politician looks set to bugger off to America or Europe, not really sure where all this optimism is coming from.

ReputationRep:
    No it won't. The way the FPTP system works means that Labour don't even need to win the total vote to get a majority. A 1% lead would do it with ease.
    This is very true indeed, I hope that Labour get back in power asap, unfortunately thought it doesn't seem like the next general election will be until the first Thursday in 2015 (think May 7th to be precise).

ReputationRep:
    YAYAY LABOUR!
    i want labour back

ReputationRep:
    Of course. I'm not claiming otherwise. No party has a mandate to govern. That's why we need another general election within the next 12 months so that we can get back into power.
    At least stay consistent with your posts lad.

No party has a mandate to govern so we should have annual elections, but Brown didn't need to call election because he had the mandate from the election 2 years previous to taking power.

If you honestly believe the crap you post, I think you should consult a psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    We did

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis1991)
    If the coalition cuts sufficiently for the Tories to produce a tax cutting manifesto in 2015, running against Ed "permanent 50p tax rate" Miliband, we'll see who ends up storming ahead of who.

Labour's best politician looks set to bugger off to America or Europe, not really sure where all this optimism is coming from.
    The 50p tax rate...which affects about 2% of the population. Yes, I'm sure it's really going to put people off voting for Labour. :rolleyes:

If the 50% rate for those earning over £150k is cut, it will have to be made up elsewhere. I'm sure tax cuts for the rich at the expense of everyone else will go down really well....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    You mean like Brown did :yawn:
    I'm a complete labour supporter, but god damn you just owned that guy

ReputationRep:
    And so were the Tories.

And we do have a moral mandate, by the way.
    They may well of been, but you wouldn't be giving the Lib Dems this much crap if they'd formed a coalition with Labour - which would have even less mandate to govern than the current coalition.

So what, prey tell, is a moral mandate? The only mandate required to govern is the one granted at the General Election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis1991)
    We did

:ahee:
    Touché sir. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Give it till next summer for the cuts to hurt the most, then we'll have lib-dem back-bench over-throw of the coallition a new election and the right people will be back in office.

ReputationRep:
    They may well of been, but you wouldn't be giving the Lib Dems this much crap if they'd formed a coalition with Labour - which would have even less mandate to govern than the current coalition.

So what, prey tell, is a moral mandate? The only mandate required to govern is the one granted at the General Election.
    Well Labour deserve to be in power because of their great recent record with Human Rights, lack of illegal wars, etc.
    Oh. Wait.

ReputationRep:
    The comments on that article are absolutely hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    The 50p tax rate...which affects about 2% of the population. Yes, I'm sure it's really going to put people off voting for Labour. :rolleyes:

If the 50% rate for those earning over £150k is cut, it will have to be made up elsewhere. I'm sure tax cuts for the rich at the expense of everyone else will go down really well....
    I'm not saying it's a bad policy, and I'd prefer a Labour gov't to a Tory one tbh. But if the election campaign becomes high taxes v low taxes I know who i'd put my money on.

And to a few others- why on earth would the Lib Dems break the coalition? One of their biggest principles is PR, being able to work in a coalition is necessary for them to even exist as a party.

ReputationRep:
    But you do realise that this would happen anyway, right? New leader, sweep of support.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Cameron should call an election, in my opinion. It's the right thing to do. He and his scum coalition have no mandate to govern. The Lib Dem voters were betrayed by Clegg.

Now that Labour are up and running, let's go to the country, Mr Cameron, so that we can finish you off once and for all!

Are you mad? Of course Cameron and Clegg have a mandate to govern. They gained a good share of the vote and have worked together to represent something in the House which is not represented in the voting figures. As far as I am concerned, the longer Labour stay in Opposition, the better for the country. I am glad red Ed got elected. His lurching to the left should be enough to usher in another generation of Conservative rule. Furthermore Brown had no mandate to govern, yet you seem to conveniently forget that.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.