Turn on thread page Beta

Does the IMO prove that boys are better then girls at maths? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at the IMO website, and notice that most of the top ranked nations had mostly male members. For example.

China 130 males and 2 females from 2000
    Russia 130 males and 2 females from 2000
    USA 129 males and 3 females from 2000
    UK 126 males and 6 females from 2000

Anyone know why this is?

ReputationRep:
    You're sexist!?!!2112

ReputationRep:
    Is it not the whole "there are more outstanding boys than girls, but also more really stupid boys than girls" thing?

ReputationRep:
    Boys just tend to be more suited to maths than girls. It's more of a personality thing than an intelligence thing, I think. There are obviously exceptions, where some boys suck balls at maths and some girls are crazygood.

ReputationRep:
    Does this matter in any way shape or form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    http://www.imo-register.org.uk/

Anyone else notice they all go to really nice schools?
    Who'd have thought that clever people would go to good schools?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's also to do with 'Social stigma'.
    Maybe girls are scared to be seen to really enjoy Maths from a young age.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Does this matter in any way shape or form?
    Well it does if the trend is because girls aren't given the same opportunity to do well in Maths as boys, as it illustrates that more effort should be made in teaching to narrow the gender gap a bit. If the trend is as a result of genuine personality differences and that not as many girls want to take Maths to a high level, then that's fine, but numbers like those are quite indicative that it might actually be the former. I don't think it necessarily means as the OP suggests, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    :rolleyes: I'm not asking why, I'm just a bit surprised that almost all of them go to the most upmarket schools, and thus pretty much all the top mathematicians are concentrated in the wealthiest families. I would have expected the natural maths ability of the population to be a bit more spread out than that. That's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Well it does if the trend is because girls aren't given the same opportunity to do well in Maths as boys, as it illustrates that more effort should be made in teaching to narrow the gender gap a bit. If the trend is as a result of genuine personality differences and that not as many girls want to take Maths to a high level, then that's fine, but numbers like those are quite indicative that it might actually be the former. I don't think it necessarily means as the OP suggests, though.
    Fair point. Not sure that is what the OP was getting at lol. I guess its just the kind of subject that is more attractive to men than women. It is why there are generally more men than women at unis like Imperial that only cater for the sciences.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    How are their opportunities different? They're given the exact same maths education as men.
    What I mean is, if the education system is inherently geared to tailor more for boys' needs and interests (at least in Maths) then the opportunities aren't equal. I'm not claiming there's some sort of institutional oppression or international conspiracy against women going on or anything. It's not exactly a new observation anyway, and evidence works in its favour (e.g. in this 1990 study, which shows that at a very young age girls and boys are pretty much on par at maths, but as they go through school the boys outperform the girls).

EDIT: And this study finds that the gender differences don't even exist in some countries, which sort of highlights the point.

ReputationRep:
    How are their opportunities different? They're given the exact same maths education as men.
    Socially, most primary school teachers are women and generally (like the population here) suck at maths and are required to teach it - the class pick up on it and the girls mimic. Then it self-perpetuates. That is a popular explanation.

I heard that the parts of the brain typically active while doing maths are generally better developed in males then females.

---

There was a documentary on it, I really enjoyed watching it. The girl who feels **** at maths (near the end) is so beutiful :love:

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...541339yawQ9fEF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    I believe that if we are judging cleverness on achievement then good schools are full of clever people because they help them achieve, not so much because more-able people would go to good schools. I'm sure there is/was potential in alot of people who go/went to bad schools, it's just harder for them to achieve and be 'clever'.

Meh, I realise it was a sarcastic post. YOU LURED ME INTO RESPONDING, FFS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    EDIT: And this study finds that the gender differences don't even exist in some countries, which sort of highlights the point.
    I geuss that quashes my thought that girls are physically disadvantaged. I thought it scientifically proven that women brain is size of peanut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Is it not the whole "there are more outstanding boys than girls, but also more really stupid boys than girls" thing?
    ^This^

ReputationRep:
    correlation ! \Rightarrowcausation

ReputationRep:
    Sophie Germain, Emmy Noether, Ruth Lawrence, Julia Robinson, Maryam Mirzakhani... the list goes on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbounded)
    Sophie Germain, Emmy Noether, Ruth Lawrence, Julia Robinson, Maryam Mirzakhani... the list goes on...
    I'd like to add Unbounded to that list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAKstriked)
    I'd like to add Unbounded to that list.
    :nothing:

NEGGED

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.