The Student Room Group

Segway CEO dies after riding two-wheeled scooter off cliff

The UK's Daily Telegraph has just reported that Segway company owner Jimi Heselden died after accidentally riding one of his company's machines off a cliff.

According to The Daily Telegraph, multimillionaire businessman Jimi Heselden was inspecting his North Yorkshire estate while mounted on one of his company's products, a rugged terrain version of the two-wheeled Segway scooter.

Heselden had apparently fallen into a nearby river while riding his Segway, and both he and his machine were found by a passer-by around 11:40am on Sunday, September 26 (6:40pm in the Philippines).

The Telegraph said that, at the time of his death, Heselden was worth £166 million (about US$263 million).

Prior to being bought by Heselden earlier this year, Segway Inc. was a New Hampshire, USA-based company that manufactured the Segway scooter primarily for niche markets.

The Segway scooter itself, invented by futurist visionary Dean Kamen, was once touted as a revolutionary machine because of its computer-controlled balancing system that could translate a user's fine muscle movements into directional motion. However, due to its high price, the Segway has not found widespread adoption.

He died a hero because didn't afraid of Segways.
Got to admit, I lolled.
I think thats the way we all want to go.
It's probably awful but I lol'd for quite a while.
he died with his beloved scooter, so its all good:awesome: :sigh: i feel guilty now:frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
The irony here is rather funny.

Seriously though, commiserations and all that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh man, I was so scared this thread was going to be about Dean Kamen!
Oh dear :/ how ironic..
Lol
I shouldn't laugh, but reading this story made me snigger.

Oh well, RIP
I feel slightly bad for quitely chuckling about that, but I'm sure most people can see the dark humour in that! But yeah, it is sad.
Reply 11
I thought it was funny.

And a good excuse to rewatch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWx06tUxWo4
Reply 12
I giggled :frown:
He did it his (seg)way
I didn't want to believe it was true after I laughed...but heres a BBC link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-11416654
There are two ways to fall off a cliff, the right way and the Segway!
Reply 16
Lollersegway.
Reply 17
DannyBoy123
Got to admit, I lolled.

same

Latest

Trending

Trending