Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am stuck on the second part of this question. It's been bugging me for about an hour and I don't understand what it's asking me to do. Would really appreciate some help and pozzz rep in it.

The even function f is defined over the domain -4>(or equal to) x (or equal to)< 4 by

f(x)=x, 0<(or equal to) x <2

f(x)= 4-x, 2>(or equal to) x (or equal to)< 4

[a] Sketch the graph of f over its domain. GOT THIS.

[b] Find all the values of x for which

f(x)= (x+4)/4

Thanks
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by chussell)
    I am stuck on the second part of this question. It's been bugging me for about an hour and I don't understand what it's asking me to do. Would really appreciate some help and pozzz rep in it.

The even function f is defined over the domain -4>(or equal to) x (or equal to)< 4 by

f(x)=x, 0<(or equal to) x <2

f(x)= 4-x, 2>(or equal to) x (or equal to)< 4

[a] Sketch the graph of f over its domain. GOT THIS.

[b] Find all the values of x for which

f(x)= (x+4)/4

Thanks

Well, in the interval 0 to 2 for instance f(x) = x, therefore you are looking for solutions to x = (x+4)/4 which lie in that interval. If the solution doesn't lie in that interval then you're not interested in it.

Similarly for the other intervals.

Edit2: Remove alternate suggestion; nowt wrong with it, just not useful in this circumstance.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    For (b) you need to consider the cases 0 \le x &lt; 2 and 2 \le x \le 4 separately.

So you need to solve two equations: the first is x = \dfrac{x+4}{4} (and 0 \le x &lt; 2), and the second is 4-x = \dfrac{x+4}{4} (and 2 \le x \le 4). Remember in each case only to accept roots which are in the given ranges of x.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I seem to understand it a bit more now. However, this will seem very dumb, but what do you use as the values of x to plug in to the equations ? For some reason functions has me very, very confused.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by chussell)
    Thanks I seem to understand it a bit more now. However, this will seem very dumb, but what do you use as the values of x to plug in to the equations ? For some reason functions has me very, very confused.
    You don't plug in any values, you need to solve them.

For example if you had x+3 = 5-x then you'd rearrange to get 2x=2 and so x=1... just solve the two equations, and make sure that the answer you get (e.g. 1 in my example) lies in the necessary range of values of x.

ReputationRep:
    You sir, are a legend. Thanks a lot .
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Hopefully you now have 4 solutions:
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.