Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriepoppy)
    Yes, that does seem like the most logical option. Also, do you think that the ELAT is a good oppertunity to show off knowledge of 'literary methods' (providing you fully understand them and it links well to your point)? Or, does understanding of the poem and displaying original thought seem more impressive? I gather that there is a need for both but the time limit restrains total creative freedom to some degree.
    What do you mean by 'literary methods'?

If you mean a 'theoretical framework', such as psychoanalysis or something fancy like that, they say: "Marks will not be awarded for reference to other texts or authors, nor will candidates be expected to try to apply any theoretical frameworks to their essay." Only do it if it's really relevant.

If you just mean a good structure and order to your approach to the question, then I think it needs to be a mix of both. There is no time for a completely thorough review of the question, so you should be only talking about the specific most interesting things, but at the same time I don't suggest that you go all out to be really wacky and different. In the time you have, you probably only will think of the most interesting things anyway, so I shouldn't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    The official instructions are: "In your introduction, indicate briefly what you intend to explore or illustrate through close reading of your chosen passages."

When you look at the extracts you'll see the common link, but in comparing your two or three extracts you'll have something more specific that you'll want to explore. It doesn't matter if you don't have a completely clear idea, because in a lot of time-restricted exercises such as this you end up changing your idea as you go along, so it won't be a problem if your stated intention isn't very clear. It can simply be to "explore" an idea.
    Cheers, much appreciated :-)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that does seem like the most logical option. Also, do you think that the ELAT is a good oppertunity to show off knowledge of 'literary methods' (providing you fully understand them and it links well to your point)? Or, does understanding of the poem and displaying original thought seem more impressive? I gather that there is a need for both but the time limit restrains total creative freedom to some degree.
    I second this question! I am weaker at themes, and stronger with devices etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes..my main worry, is that I won't be able to come up with relevant themes
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MSB)
    What do you mean by 'literary methods'?

If you mean a 'theoretical framework', such as psychoanalysis or something fancy like that, they say: "Marks will not be awarded for reference to other texts or authors, nor will candidates be expected to try to apply any theoretical frameworks to their essay." Only do it if it's really relevant.

If you just mean a good structure and order to your approach to the question, then I think it needs to be a mix of both. There is no time for a completely thorough review of the question, so you should be only talking about the specific most interesting things, but at the same time I don't suggest that you go all out to be really wacky and different. In the time you have, you probably only will think of the most interesting things anyway, so I shouldn't worry about that.
    Thanks. I meant devices like assonance, juxtaposition etc. I think my biggest challenge will be only writing about the things that are truly relevant as I have a tendency to write about absolutely every weird and wonderful thing that enters my head. I hope the time pressure will help me to narrow my ideas a bit and focus on the main themes more. Oh, well only time will tell...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I meant devices like assonance, juxtaposition etc. I think my biggest challenge will be only writing about the things that are truly relevant as I have a tendency to write about absolutely every weird and wonderful thing that enters my head. I hope the time pressure will help me to narrow my ideas a bit and focus on the main themes more. Oh, well only time will tell...
    Oh right. Of course they will expect you to show a good knowledge of literary devices, but, as I have said before, you shouldn't be pointing stuff out without saying what it does.

ReputationRep:
    Best wishes for tomorrow everybody

ReputationRep:
    You too..:-) I hope it isn't too bad...*sighs*

ReputationRep:
    AAAAAH. ELAT tomorrow. I might have one more try at the sample paper, or at least make a plan again.

Anyone for University College?

ReputationRep:
    i quit. mother dearest, bless 'er, shoved a glass o' red at me and told me to stop shuffling paper, get in the bath, and chill. wise words.

good luck tomorrow everyone, sincerely.

over and out.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all!

ReputationRep:
    I've been lurking in this thread for days now without remembering I had a TSR account. :P Here's to hoping the ELAT is manageable and a chance to show off our natural critical ability (because, if we didn't have that, we wouldn't have applied to Ox). I look forward to the post-exam discussion!

Also I'd like to thank MSB for the unfailing reassurance and advice.

(Original post by jack/ten)
    Anyone for Bailliol College?
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, all of you! I remember panicking this time last year, but then the ELAT wasn't quite as bad as I expected, so hopefully it'll be the same for you. It helps if you just think of it as a test in itself, rather than something that could potentially lead to Oxford - there's no point in getting stressed out about how it might affect your future, so try not to think beyond the test, if you can.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, thank you MSB for all your words of wisdom, I trust you implicitly to get us through this period of immense academic distress. No pressure. Call it displaced angst.

ReputationRep:
    I know it probably wont really help at this point, but does anyone have a good online resource for literary terms? I just want something to glance over to put my mind at ease...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BethanW)
    I know it probably wont really help at this point, but does anyone have a good online resource for literary terms? I just want something to glance over to put my mind at ease...
    Try Dictionary.com and start with a few that you're not sure about and then it will give you a list of related searches for the ones you've never heard of.

ReputationRep:
    HI I'M NEW dunno if this is the place for it really but a query about the written work. anyone know how strict that "usually no more than 2000 words" rule is on it? i want to submit my a2 coursework which is 2700 odd words. am i gonna get beat down for this heinous crime?

jah bless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ITISCLARISSAHESAID)
    HI I'M NEW dunno if this is the place for it really but a query about the written work. anyone know how strict that "usually no more than 2000 words" rule is on it? i want to submit my a2 coursework which is 2700 odd words. am i gonna get beat down for this heinous crime?

jah bless
    I'm a gap year student and Mansfield said it was okay if I submitted my 3000 A2 coursework since I have nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas on structure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    I'm a gap year student and Mansfield said it was okay if I submitted my 3000 A2 coursework since I have nothing else.
    oh that's encouraging, how did you contact them? just ring up admissions?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.