Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just to say I will be frequently hi-jacking this thread once you're all finished so I can ask stupid questions in anticipation of next year. That is, if everything goes to plan with AS, obviously, you can't be too overly-confident about these things And MSB, I've got to say, you frighten me, you're like an English admissions Buddha, enlightened by actually getting in

ReputationRep:
    I have 2193, hopefully that will be k.

RE: ELAT. I'm terrified, but oh well, should be fun. Seriously not prepared really, can't imagine going into the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I emailed them and then bugged Beth Irving via phone. There are even more complications that are irrelevant, but suffice it to say I get the impression that Mansfield at least are pretty lenient about written work.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    I'm also new and I've been reading your responses for preparing for the ELAT (i say this in the most non-stalkerish way possible :p: )
    Good luck with the ELAT everyone and i will be online tomorrow to discuss the exam.... AHHH!

ReputationRep:
    I just read through this whole thread and it nearly made me cry.

From http://www.mantex.co.uk/samples/closeread.htm:
    Close reading is not a skill which can be developed to a sophisticated extent overnight. It requires a lot of practice in the various linguistic and literary disciplines involved - and it requires that you do a lot of reading.
    My life is over

Good luck all! (Apart from those who applied to Hertford, I hope your bus breaks down tomorrow )

ReputationRep:
    To my answer my own question, I just found the following which is quite a neat little summary - http://www.schoolhousebooksweb.com/g...y_of_terms.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    Yeah, I emailed them and then bugged Beth Irving via phone. There are even more complications that are irrelevant, but suffice it to say I get the impression that Mansfield at least are pretty lenient about written work.
    urgh i hope that rings true for the other colleges. i'm applying to new, will definitely ring tomorrow, and probably prepare my as stuff just in case. thanks for the help comrade.

good luck everyone by the way, i'm sure everyone will be fine and everyone will get a place and lead a happy and successful life ETCETC as long as there is at least one decent prose extract
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ITISCLARISSAHESAID)
    HI I'M NEW dunno if this is the place for it really but a query about the written work. anyone know how strict that "usually no more than 2000 words" rule is on it? i want to submit my a2 coursework which is 2700 odd words. am i gonna get beat down for this heinous crime?

jah bless
    I discussed this on another thread but I decided against all advice to cut down the words and I'm sending my 3,800 word A2 coursework because it's the best thing I've written and I really have little else to submit (I self-taught and I'm post A2 so I can't ask teachers to mark something new).

ReputationRep:
    **** me that;s big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alecangeltess)
    **** me that;s big.
    ...is wat my gf said wen she saw my schlong!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    ...is wat my gf said wen she saw my schlong!!!
    Nice one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moomin?)

Good luck all! (Apart from those who applied to Hertford, I hope your bus breaks down tomorrow )
    Haaa This tickled me. I ceremoniously logged out about half an hour ago to go and relax, and yet here I am again, to encounter my most charming fellow Hertford applicant.

S'a good job I get driven to school...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alecangeltess)
    **** me that;s big.
    Yeah...the word limit for the exam board was 2,500 but they were really lenient and adopted the idea that as long as the quality isn't diminished by the length then it should be rewarded fairly. The topic I chose to do was so broad that I felt that it would actually damage the quality of the work if I didn't address all of the examples/themes. It was on 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' and 'The French Leuitenant's Woman' and neither are exactly short!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriepoppy)
    I discussed this on another thread but I decided against all advice to cut down the words and I'm sending my 3,800 word A2 coursework because it's the best thing I've written and I really have little else to submit (I self-taught and I'm post A2 so I can't ask teachers to mark something new).
    well glad i won't be alone in submitting a monolith of an essay (and mine pales in comparison to 3,800!!). do you not have a piece of as coursework? i do have that option, but i would prefer the a2 as i feel it's marginally better and i know the text (the great gatsby) SO much better than the as option (hamlet has dribbled out of my brain unfortunately)

ReputationRep:
    Gee, there's a lot of Hertford applicants this year. I'm walking so I should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello, i love you.)
    Haaa This tickled me. I ceremoniously logged out about half an hour ago to go and relax, and yet here I am again, to encounter my most charming fellow Hertford applicant.

S'a good job I get driven to school...
    Same, I get a lift. =D But haha, good luck, even to fellow Hertford applicants. ^_____^
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ITISCLARISSAHESAID)
    well glad i won't be alone in submitting a monolith of an essay (and mine pales in comparison to 3,800!!). do you not have a piece of as coursework? i do have that option, but i would prefer the a2 as i feel it's marginally better and i know the text (the great gatsby) SO much better than the as option (hamlet has dribbled out of my brain unfortunately)
    Well, I got a higher mark in the A2 piece (full marks btw, so I think it's worth the risk) and I just feel more passionate about these texts than I do about 'Antony and Cleopatra', which has since fizzled out of my brain (I fear Gossip Girl may be the culprit...). I think I rushed the AS piece because I did the course in a year and wanted to get started on the A2 piece quickly so I could look at both novels in depth. I think my lack of passion for said piece comes across and I want Oxford to see the best that I can do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Classics and English so I have to submit two essays - ahhh! :eek: I mean, picking one was a struggle

I really hope it goes well for everyone tomorrow, thanks for all the words of advice! Here's hoping I don't freeze in the exam and then start thinking about random things that have NO LINK WHATSOEVER TO THE PAPER then look at the clock and realise I've written nothing for, like, 10 minutes.

...Needless to say, exams and I have a very strained relationship.

Anyway; back to the point: good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello, i love you.)
    I ceremoniously logged out about half an hour ago to go and relax, and yet here I am again, to encounter my most charming fellow Hertford applicant.
    Whoever said I was applying to Hertford?
    Haha, no, I'll do my best to uphold your title, but I'm fairly sure I'll remain as most charming Hertford applicant :p:

(Original post by stabilo.boss)
    I'm walking so I should be fine.
    What if a bus breaks down, causing a car to swerve off course, onto the pavement, hitting you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t_reveuse)
    I'm Classics and English so I have to submit two essays - ahhh! :eek: I mean, picking one was a struggle

I really hope it goes well for everyone tomorrow, thanks for all the words of advice! Here's hoping I don't freeze in the exam and then start thinking about random things that have NO LINK WHATSOEVER TO THE PAPER then look at the clock and realise I've written nothing for, like, 10 minutes.

...Needless to say, exams and I have a very strained relationship.

Anyway; back to the point: good luck everyone!

Woah! Nice punctuation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.