Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You make me laugh too much.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I've just been searching on TSR franticly in search of ELAT help.

How is everyone preparing for this? (The night before I know!) I've tried lots of different things but it's difficult for an unseen texts exam and my school suck when it comes to helping with this one off sort of thing.

Any suggestions occupy my undoubtedly sleepless night?

Anddd.. I've noticed loads of people applying for Hertford, anyone applying to New?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not bothering with getting too worked up. it's just an exam, and a pretty straightforward one at that. just have to be your intellectual self and if it's what they're looking for then alls good, and if it's not then oxford is probably not the place for you anyway.

is anyone else here applying to st edmund hall?! i'd be more than happy to be the only one :-)

ReputationRep:
    worcester college anyone?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H_Winth)
    Hi everyone
    I've just been searching on TSR franticly in search of ELAT help.

How is everyone preparing for this? (The night before I know!) I've tried lots of different things but it's difficult for an unseen texts exam and my school suck when it comes to helping with this one off sort of thing.

Any suggestions occupy my undoubtedly sleepless night?

Anddd.. I've noticed loads of people applying for Hertford, anyone applying to New?
    i am. i haven't seen it but apparently it's the only college with a drum kit? can't see what other criteria you'd need to consider when choosing a college personally.

ReputationRep:
    So ELAT nerves are kicking in... Two quick questions - someone who sat it previously may know the first one:

1) Do they collect in the question paper and all rought paper? just wanted to know because i hate people seeing my plans

2) ok less short question but how are you guys comparing and contrasting? I think I can manage the spotting + explaining of featues but the comparing of contrasting...yeah that bit is getting me a bit stuck

thanks gang x

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed loads of people applying for Hertford, anyone applying to New?
    I'm applying to New :woo: Just sent off my written work!

Been memorizing literary devices flashcards in preparation. Still super nervous, but at least I know what prosopopoeia is... Haha, fat lot of good that'll do me...

ReputationRep:
    I've never get rough paper in any of my exams, I just plan on my booklet and cross it out.

2nd one depends on the texts and the focus.

ITISCLARISSAHESAID - From what I've worked out, it's by far the coolest. The drum kit just proves it. Have you applied for joint or single Eng?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninabeans)
    I'm applying to New :woo: Just sent off my written work!

Been memorizing literary devices flashcards in preparation. Still super nervous, but at least I know what prosopopoeia is... Haha, fat lot of good that'll do me...
    Ah I don't know any literary devices. Ok I test for you and a help for me if you don't mind: 10 most important literary devices. You don't have to write out the meaning if you don't want I'll look them up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is it really going to be a massive advantage knowing lots of complex terms, or will it be just as good if you can identify them without necessarily knowing the names? I'm asking because, after reading through a book earlier today, I realised how few literary terms I actually know

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping the comparing and contrasting will come naturally. So if one poem uses,I don't know, pararhyme and the other uses full rhyme, I can talk about that difference but how they still contribute the same effect or some such rubbish.
    RE literary terms. Know the basics imo.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone...I'm off. And thanks to MSB especially :-) I really hope all goes well tomorrow..

ReputationRep:
    MSB is a living legend.
    University Challenge, last minute ELAT reading, then bed methinks.
    Tragically underprepared, but oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much about the terms. I'm off to listen to some pan pipes.

Hope it goes well for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I've never get rough paper in any of my exams, I just plan on my booklet and cross it out.

2nd one depends on the texts and the focus.

ITISCLARISSAHESAID - From what I've worked out, it's by far the coolest. The drum kit just proves it. Have you applied for joint or single Eng?
    just single lit&lang, i refuse to acquire any other skill except talking about made-up stories. how about you?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Right, discuss away, then.

ReputationRep:
    So, did everyone in the whole world use passage A? (Alice Oswald)
    Every single person I've spoken to seems to have used it.
    I compared it with C. (Emily Dickinson)

ReputationRep:
    See, wasn't that fun?

ReputationRep:
    I did B and C. I read the book last week :p:

Compared their offhand approach to the act of death... both quite nonchalent but Dickinson in a far more obvious way etc. Think was pretty good but wrote far too much just gutting the poem as had a few good points but not sure how much it added to my answer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    So, did everyone in the whole world use passage A? (Alice Oswald)
    Every single person I've spoken to seems to have used it.
    I compared it with C. (Emily Dickinson)
    Sadie and I can dominate this discussion until the kids get back from school. :p:

I did these two too.

The first poem seemed difficult to understand though. I spent a lot of my answer talking about how images like the initial "they had frost of them" and "the coats barely covered their wings" were confusing and it was all part of the discourdant atmosphere of the poem - hence the irregular metre, stanzas, etc etc - whereas Dickinson's was more clarified. I didn't plan, I just wrote constantly and linked things up as they occured e.g. in Dickinson the thought of death was presented as a chill, whereas in Oswald's the ignorance surrounding their mortality was associated with the "frost" in the fourth line, and the revelatory sunrise caused them to sway and warm their hands.

But remember guys, the worst case scenario is that you get a bad score, and even a bad score will get you an interview. The bands are as follows:

Band 1 (top) - should indicate those candidates most likely to be called for interview (unless other indicators suggest otherwise)
    Band 2 - should indicate those candidates who should probably be invited to interview
    Band 3 - will contain candidates who may not be called to interview (unless there is convincing evidence to suggest otherwise)
    Band 4 - should indicate those candidates who are less likely to be invited to interview (unless other factors outweigh the evidence of the test)

Last year I was band 4 with 3.5A*s at GCSE and no language qualification, and they still invited me.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.