Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..I did the Dickens, Dickinson and Milton one. And I was focusing on the different attitudes to time, and how people perceive, death, eternity and time... I wrote about how the woman in Dickinson's poem was suddenly aware of the vastness of time, and how they were nothing compared to the rest of time...and how in Dickens' extract, there was a positive attitude towards time, and how poignant his "relationship" was with a clock, that was ironically measuring his time, and bringing his death closer, although he places all his trust in that clock...No idea how I have done. Did anyone else do my combination as well?

ReputationRep:
    i ******* hate time as a topic. just confuses me

ReputationRep:
    No, I ended up doing Dickinson and Dickens; a bit confusing when talking about their names in the essay. Luckily i'd studied her poem the day before for part of my English coursework, so I knew the poem well enough. I talked mainly about the two narrator's attitudes towards passing on and the passing of time as well as discussing the use of companion characters (the Clock and Death) making the transition of time easier. Did anyone do Shakespeare?

ReputationRep:
    Exam didnt go as well as expected!! my schools an absolute joke - didnt even put me in proper exam conditions for the paper. Had people laughing, having a chat, walking around me and even calling my name the entire 90 minutes. Was ridiculous. Concentration levels = zero. Fabulous.

As for the paper, I chose Oswald and Dickinson. I wrote that Oswald's poem personified two trees as the "old couple", the poem commencing in winter as they grew "frost" on their edges, for example. followed by the coming of spring with the "sunrise" and "beauty" as images of life and movement were introduced, followed by the coming of autumn as life slows down for the trees and their "eyesight falls at their feet" (leaves?) and they wear their "old clothes" (old clothes perhaps hinting at the colour brown? colour of the leaves? of the blossom on the trees that is "dying" with the loss of "sunshine"? Basically just spoke about the inexorability of the passing of time in connection to death and the way that trees, unlike humankind, always bounce back from their encounters with death and extreme change in the surroundings... if anyone put anything mildly similar i would feel much more comfortable about the entire exam!

I also had issues with time - wrote far too much on Oswald's poem and not enough on Dickinson's. I hope they can see through this and realise (as is clearly shown in the difference in handwriting in the last quarter of the exam) that I was rushed and do actually have potential...sniff sniff..

ReputationRep:
    I did Shakespeare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordBlairgowrie)
    I did Shakespeare!
    Out of interest, what did you compare it to?

ReputationRep:
    I did the Dickinson and Milton.
    I wrote about the similar and contrasting ways they presented death, time, life and the afterlife (which seems a bit too broad in retrospect :/)
    For example, the personification of death and time and the futility and transient nature of life - in the stanza about the children, maturing to the grain and finally dying with the setting sun.
    I also discussed how Milton portrays immortality as a glorious and wonderful thing (with the religious allusions - presumably in heaven) but how Dickinson is more ambiguous as she mentions the "chill" and says that a grave is a house.
    My conclusion was pretty shocking.

ReputationRep:
    And I mean shocking in a bad way!
    Just realised how that could have sounded..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince-Myshkin)
    i ******* hate time as a topic. just confuses me
    Would you have rather done "Portraits"?

(Original post by ChloeKitson123)
    I hope they can see through this and realise (as is clearly shown in the difference in handwriting in the last quarter of the exam) that I was rushed and do actually have potential...sniff sniff..
    Hehe, my sentiments exactly! Dickens was two, rather neat, pages. Milton was just over a barely legible half...and there was about a three sentence conclusion tacked on the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicallyxlost)
    Out of interest, what did you compare it to?
    To Oswald's poem and the Dickens.
    That Ulysses' speech to Achilles about how valour, love etc.. were immaterial in the face of decay and how this linked with man's need to view the world subjectively in the light of objective mortality.

Did you use it too? In what ways did you link them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubberband)
    Would you have rather done "Portraits"?

Yes. I'm not complaining though, i just wrote on mortality/death instead. Was surprised so many people went for time though.

I like the only 3 choices style, only the best applicants do that... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince-Myshkin)
    Yes. I'm not complaining though, i just wrote on mortality/death instead. Was surprised so many people went for time though.

I like the only 3 choices style, only the best applicants do that... :cool:
    Ah well, to each their own - personally I'd have rather taken this exam with a hangover, sitting next to a rabid monkey with a tazer. But I was really tired and unhappy last year, maybe I'm remembering it as worse than it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubberband)
    :five:

Did you kind feel that the Milton one was a little...insincere? Or did I just want to read that? I thought he was taking the piss a little bit with his effusions. I can't remember what the last line was but I remember using that to underline that in the end!
    i agree with you i think he was making fun of death and trying to prove he had the ability to "outlive" death, to a certain extent.

(Original post by Eliastor)
    How much did everyone write? I got out two and a half pages, but I may be slow. Withal I found the most difficult thing to be organizing. My notes were pretty scratchy and brief (a few lines), even though you're supposed to spend half an hour making them. I spent that time looking at the poems instead.
    i wrote 9 pages (i had to ask for extra paper) but I always write way too much. i'm hoping they think it's quality and quantity rather than just a load of waffle. :yes: how much did everyone else write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordBlairgowrie)
    To Oswald's poem and the Dickens.
    That Ulysses' speech to Achilles about how valour, love etc.. were immaterial in the face of decay and how this linked with man's need to view the world subjectively in the light of objective mortality.

Did you use it too? In what ways did you link them?
    No, I was tempted to, I mean I knew the speech well-ish...:p: but i had submitted a piece of coursework on Othello, and the Dickens piece interested me more. In your essay, did you address transcience, time and immortality as separate entities or talk about them in reference to each other?

ReputationRep:
    I did A and B, Oswald and Conrad. Anyone else?! Seems like I'm the only one!

I didn't know what transcience meant hahaaa so focused on how both defy the preconceptions of death connoting darkness and negativity and how death, in these cases, has been presented as a reflection of light to escape the hardships of life- old age and a trapped marriage.
    The fundamental difference being Verloc got death, by means of murdering her husband and thus was set free, whereas the old couple only saw death's beauty and brilliance for a moment and then were forced back into the troublesome and tiresome lives that they have had to endure.

I was told I didn't have to do the ELAT though and a bad mark is taken into account am on special consideration for a devastating situation..
    Loved the ELAT though, it was pure escapism from life's badddd times

Anyone else applied for English at Pembroke?!
    well done! I love reading everyone's ideas! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELS23)
    Anyone else applied for English at Pembroke?!
    Me! Yay, you're the first I've seen.

By the way, if you're unhappy with your performance: the tutor at the open day for Pembroke said they really don't care about the ELAT that much, it's just to check that your ability to write an essay doesn't completely fall apart once the possibility to rip it all off of old Guardian articles is taken from you.

ReputationRep:
    Pheww I did really enjoy it, but yeah my mind was probably elsewhere, I think my application is mostly being judged on the other criteria according to many emails haha.

Did you go to the Sept open day?! I think I heard her say something similar then! Funny if you were there too!
    Yay for Eng and Pemb!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I did a and b as well and I'm quite surprised at how different everyone's interpretations are. I talked about the personification of time and death in Dickensons' poem with the almost inamimate living couple in Oswald's and about how beauty and a fascination with it is important to these characters in order to get the most out of life. I explained how as poets, both Dickenson and Oswald relied on and appreciated the beauty of nature and death to be creative and fulfill their ambitions as artists. I thought that in Dickenson's poem she became more fascinated with death and immortality whereas in Oswald's poem they became more fascinated with life. I can't really remember what else I talked about...oh, I know! I talked about how in both poems it was very unclear about what was real to the characters and what was imagination (magic realism in Dickenson's poem), and how time was a metaphor for life in one of them but irrelevant in the other as time is irrelevant to the immortal. Hmm...I also thought that when the carriage was passing over the children it meant that death was passing over them, so they were dying. And, I think I said that their literature replaced them once they died, or something like that. I really can't remember anything else, maybe it will all come back to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELS23)
    Pheww I did really enjoyed it, but yeah my mind was probably elsewhere, I think mine application is mostly being judged on the other criteria according to many emails haha.

Did you go to the Sept open day?! I think I heard her say something similar then! Funny if you were there too!
    Yay for Eng and Pemb!
    Yes, I was! Hehe, that's weird - what a small world. I vaguely remember the people that were there, there weren't very many...I was the dark haired girl in a baggy burgundy sweater and jeans (lol, somehow I remember what I was wearing because I was running late that day and felt like a complete tramp!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry Lee)
    Hey, I found this sample as well: http://www.ascenduk.org/uploads/samp...tions/ELAT.pdf

Ack, I just wish that there were more so that I would a little more confident with this test. =S A week now. o_O
    Why did I not find that before! !

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.