The Student Room Group

Elat 2010

Scroll to see replies

Rayel
"it looked as if their wings were caught in their coats"

I got something along the lines of - their life traps them from ascending into the sunlight/sky/afterlife because the angelic connotation of wings suggests their souls are trapped beneath the coats - representing life.

It just struck me - does that actually make sense? Or is it too vague and and retarded sounding to get me good marks. I wish I didn't relive parts of the essay and worry over them but heck.

Pretty much what I said, except talked about the sunrise being a missed opportunity of time.
Reply 361
connected
Hi I received the same email. Perhaps it's a standard email sent to all, so colleges are not overcrowded!? I'm not sure yet what option to go for :-s

- Squibakou - I might have seen you at Glasgow Academy at the test.

Nope, took mine at my school- Hyndland Secondary. I was the only one doing it in my school =P

@Rubberband- But it's a comparative exercise, so surely emphasising points of comparison is a great big neon sign to the examiner. Obviously, there are points to be made about each poem seperately, but I really wanted to highlight what the question is asking, i.e. comparing, contrasting being the second most important thing.
Prince-Myshkin
wrote about how they both dealt with daeth in quite an offhand way, but used different techniques to bring it about. dickinson used an offputting form vs content clash, but the further the poem developed this deteriorated. 2nd stanze only pararhymre,3rd no rhyme, 4th has a spondee in the first line and loses a foot. said that this shows a slowly increasing feeling as the 'journey' with Death progresses that her she rgrets her almost apologetic attitude to mortality in the first line
said conrad also handled death in a nonchalent way. no sense of drama in his writig, suggested mr verloc could have saved himself by the repetition of 'leuisurely'. instead he just fantasised about possible escapes, he didn't seem to take the matter seriously, and this was mirrored by the writing. no build up to stabbing, it just happens, he can only sigh etc

something along those lines:o: hows about you?

Wow that sounds really very good indeed. Interview for you then :smile:

I'm not great at remembering what I wrote about in exams, so it's all a bit blurry to me now, haha. I think I wrote more about Conrad's novel's extract than Dickenson's poem though and compared tone, imagery and build-up of tension... perhaps more.
Reply 363
fever skin
Oh wow, you sat your ELAT at Glesca Academy? Me

Yes, I did. Was sitting in the sort of middle - girl with the braids. Do you have big (very glamorous I thought), brown/reddish hair ? I think there might have been only two girls doing ELAT there!
I didn't have enough time... and thought it was quite ironic looking at Milton's 'On Time' as didn't have time to write on it! :smile:

Did you manage to finish?
Reply 364
Reading this thread is basically killing me guys! I did Dickens and Oswald and wrote about how the both personified time. Dickens through the clock and Oswald through seasons/time of day. It was hard to find how Oswald personified time and had to really stretch points to make this fit in, but I honestly had no other idea of what to do.

Also, I got a rejection from Leeds on the same day. Although I'm predicted AAA* and the wanted AAB - a bit strange. So not been a good week for UCAS Applications. I'll be so glad when it's over.
Whoa, I didn't even know this message board existed until I accidentally googled it, so although it's late in the discussion, I'll hop in.

So... I compared the Milton and Shakespeare pieces, focusing on the significance they put on Time: Milton seeing it as temporary, an instrument devouring the bad in this world, personifying it as sinful (he had a lot of gluttony and greed going on there), and Ulysses seeing Time as the frame of the world. Then I went on to how they each deal with Time: Milton putting his faith in God who has triumphed over Time, and Ulysses talking about an endless struggle to remain relevant (to win the battle against Time is still within it), and how they both conceived Time as a destructive force, but the conflict between their perceptions stems from their different approaches towards Time: Milton seeing himself out of Time, and Ulysses seeing himself in it.

I didn't find anyone who compared the same texts, so I can't say I'm reassured by the thread, but it's so cool to read everyone's answers!
[QUOTE="connected"]
fever skin
Oh wow, you sat your ELAT at Glesca Academy? Me

Yes, I did. Was sitting in the sort of middle - girl with the braids. Do you have big (very glamorous I thought), brown/reddish hair ? I think there might have been only two girls doing ELAT there!
I didn't have enough time... and thought it was quite ironic looking at Milton's 'On Time' as didn't have time to write on it! :smile:

Did you manage to finish?

Sorry, I can't recollect you :s-smilie: perhaps because I was at the front? That whole day was quite a blur. I don't think you're talking about me, because I have just brown hair haha. I was wearing a blue skirt and a brown cardie, and was the one who put my hand up for the paper after everyone else sitting ELAT. My ears can't seem to differentiate between ELAT and BMAT for some reason.

But yes, I can sympathise with your lack of time! I managed to complete a rather rough conclusion, but there were so many points I had been planning to make but had to miss out due to lack of time. Still I'm sure they'll take all that into consideration. Good luck!
Reply 367
Ahh, everyone has been talking about such amazing points they have written! I can't really remember what I wrote about now! I remember making a point about Dickinson using an iambic rhythym in order to mimic a nursery rhyme and walking out the exam wondering why on earth I wrote that! I liked the Oswald poem though. :smile:
fever skin
Wow that sounds really very good indeed. Interview for you then :smile:

I'm not great at remembering what I wrote about in exams, so it's all a bit blurry to me now, haha. I think I wrote more about Conrad's novel's extract than Dickenson's poem though and compared tone, imagery and build-up of tension... perhaps more.

sounds similar, hopefully be seeing you there :wink:

haha, when do we actualy start to find out? i am ******** myself, too scared to book time off work in case i don't get one
Reply 369
Sister Grimm
Whoa, I didn't even know this message board existed until I accidentally googled it, so although it's late in the discussion, I'll hop in.

So... I compared the Milton and Shakespeare pieces, focusing on the significance they put on Time: Milton seeing it as temporary, an instrument devouring the bad in this world, personifying it as sinful (he had a lot of gluttony and greed going on there), and Ulysses seeing Time as the frame of the world. Then I went on to how they each deal with Time: Milton putting his faith in God who has triumphed over Time, and Ulysses talking about an endless struggle to remain relevant (to win the battle against Time is still within it), and how they both conceived Time as a destructive force, but the conflict between their perceptions stems from their different approaches towards Time: Milton seeing himself out of Time, and Ulysses seeing himself in it.

I didn't find anyone who compared the same texts, so I can't say I'm reassured by the thread, but it's so cool to read everyone's answers!

OMG I wrote about the same passages as you...no one else seems to have done that, I wonder if that should tell us something! I wrote similar points to you I think, destruction vs preservation of qualities.
What college are you applying to?
Reply 370
Hi everyone, just discovered tsr and found this thread so interesting.

its very late to join this discussion i know but did anyone do a )the oswald poem and b) the conrad extract? my combination seems obscure now after reading everyones very articulate, intelligent responses.

I wish I had have found this site before the exam, my college gave me no help whatsoever for the elat as I was the only person sitting the exam in my college and applying for Oxbridge too. Oh well.

Good luck guys, hope everyone gets an interview.
AllyG
OMG I wrote about the same passages as you...no one else seems to have done that, I wonder if that should tell us something! I wrote similar points to you I think, destruction vs preservation of qualities.
What college are you applying to?

I don't know if it should be telling us anything; in my obsession I've read a thread from 2007/8 (can't recall) where people shared their ELAT results. Some with remarkable grades got rejections, some with 30-something grades received offers... So who knows, really?

I made an open application and was allocated St. Hilda's. How 'bout you? :smile:
Prince-Myshkin
sounds similar, hopefully be seeing you there :wink:

haha, when do we actualy start to find out? i am ******** myself, too scared to book time off work in case i don't get one

You'll have received an email with the provisional dates for interview. They're doing English lit. in two blocks (or maybe that's just the college I applied to, I'm not sure...) and I think the first block begins Monday 7th December. You can find out whether you're invited to interview anything up to as close as a week before that date.

But yeah, haha I'm the same. Don't want to jynx it, and setting myself up for failure, just incase!
Reply 373
Sister Grimm
I don't know if it should be telling us anything; in my obsession I've read a thread from 2007/8 (can't recall) where people shared their ELAT results. Some with remarkable grades got rejections, some with 30-something grades received offers... So who knows, really?

I made an open application and was allocated St. Hilda's. How 'bout you? :smile:

I am officially terrified. Ah well, nothing I can do about it now, just got to cross my fingers!
Exeter college, absolutely love it.
AllyG

Exeter college, absolutely love it.

Well, I haven't had a chance to really get sentimental about any of the colleges, being my ignorant self. :wink:

Good luck though!
I wrote about Milton and Shakespeare and personification of time. Was going to end on very intelligent point about whether Shakespeare was censuring time or the transcience of human nature but ran out of time. Babbled lots. Definitely did not display any genius!
Oh and said the Shakespeare wasn't iambic pentameter. Was I right...?
Reply 377
Going away from the Elat...did anyone get the email on Permanent Private Halls, and if so, which one did you opt for?
I opted for 2. It was the easy option: I could choose without really making a decision!
I took the ELAT in the United States, my test didn't have Dickons or Milton- we had a sonnet by Shakespeare and a Virginia Woolf excerpt-along with a passage from Silus Marner does the ELAT vary according to what country you take it in?!

Quick Reply

Latest