Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Don't expect anything amazing.
    I'm going to disobey you.

I am worried, but not to the point of making checklists. I'm reading a book called The Poem And The Journey by Ruth Padel which has a bunch of contemporary poems that she'll analyse, so that'll probably help me out a bit. For some reason, I tell myself to remember "what is presented/how does it change along the poem/compare" and I calm down a little, though I probably shouldn't as that is a pretty epically **** way of condensing prac crit.

obligatory :dontknow: to illustrate "its just oxford guise"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    I'm going to disobey you.
    Disobey me and expect me to produce an amazing post in this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Disobey me and expect me to produce an amazing post in this thread?

Anti-climax. Money back, please.

ReputationRep:
    I am confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I am confused.
    I saw you'd replied to the thread and expected pearls of wisdom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AisAis)
    I saw you'd replied to the thread and expected pearls of wisdom.
    Look: post #20. Glistening pearls of wisdom right there, straight from the oyster bed.

ReputationRep:
    Do we get called for interview based on the results of our Elat or before?
    I'm really worried too! What's the best book to use for literary criticism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayel)
    Do we get called for interview based on the results of our Elat or before?
    I'm really worried too! What's the best book to use for literary criticism?
    The ELAT is one of a number of factors that decide whether they call you to interview or not, but it's a very good opportunity to show your skill with subject, and a better opportunity than your personal statement, grades and written work (i.e., everything before the ELAT). I personally know people who didn't do that well in the ELAT, but still had interviews and got offers (although, admittedly, this was two years ago when the ELAT was only being 'tested'), which suggests that the other factors aren't completely useless.

What do you mean by "to use for literary criticism"? Do you mean a book to help with your close reading (that is, the skill which the ELAT is testing)?

ReputationRep:
    If it's any consolation everyone, I got 33/60 ie band 4/4 last year and was still interviewed despite having a statement so bad it got me rejected from Leeds and only 3.5A*s at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    The ELAT is one of a number of factors that decide whether they call you to interview or not, but it's a very good opportunity to show your skill with subject, and a better opportunity than your personal statement, grades and written work (i.e., everything before the ELAT). I personally know people who didn't do that well in the ELAT, but still had interviews and got offers (although, admittedly, this was two years ago when the ELAT was only being 'tested'), which suggests that the other factors aren't completely useless.

What do you mean by "to use for literary criticism"? Do you mean a book to help with your close reading (that is, the skill which the ELAT is testing)?
    That's the doo-dah! Close reading! I just want to nab an interview because I think that will be my strongest point - I'm not exactly the most confident of exam sitters - although i get the grades in the end I'm more the class discussion guy. :P

So yeah any top recommendations I can look into over the half term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayel)
    That's the doo-dah! Close reading! I just want to nab an interview because I think that will be my strongest point - I'm not exactly the most confident of exam sitters - although i get the grades in the end I'm more the class discussion guy. :P

So yeah any top recommendations I can look into over the half term?
    Well, you only have two weeks in which to read in, but I'm sure some of the books mentioned in this thread will serve you well. In honesty, I can't think of much that will help outside of the dusty, out-dated New Criticism tomes that I like to read. I don't really know any books that will talk you through the process of close reading (without getting too caught up in theoretical frameworks).

(As I said before, I intend on writing something useful here later on this week.)

ReputationRep:
    the original practical criticism book by i.a. richards is quite good at showing you what not to do. plus, it's fun. well, i think so, anyway.

<oblig 'my elat score was fairly mediocre and i got in but that was 2 years ago now' bit of the post>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigrrmilk)
    the original practical criticism book by i.a. richards is quite good at showing you what not to do. plus, it's fun. well, i think so, anyway.

<oblig 'my elat score was fairly mediocre and i got in but that was 2 years ago now' bit of the post>
    I'm reading that at the moment, actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I'm reading that at the moment, actually.
    it's kind of like, my favourite book of literary criticism. which is quite bad because it's v outdated by now, but it's both funny and interesting, plus i just like practical criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigrrmilk)
    it's kind of like, my favourite book of literary criticism. which is quite bad because it's v outdated by now, but it's both funny and interesting, plus i just like practical criticism.
    I read Principles of Literary Criticism over the summer, which, being more theoretical rather than practical, is more open to being out-dated and, frankly, was a bit silly in places because of it, but I'm really enjoying PC so far.

(With Seven Types of Ambiguity, The Well Wrought Urn and The Verbal Icon, I think my personal approach is to pretend that nothing has happened since about 1960.)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the practise paper on Fathers? If so can anyone share what they have written?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to whoever sheff-student who sent me this

No Oxford for you *****!! HAHA dumb cow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Thanks to whoever sent me this
    Ouch. What do you mean sent? Can't have been a PM or you'd know who it was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by English_Applicant)
    Ouch. What do you mean sent? Can't have been a PM or you'd know who it was?
    Nah, rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Nah, rep.
    If, hypothetically, you were to subscribe (by using riches, for instance), you could find out who it was.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.