Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guess so, considering mine (England) was Dickens, Dickenson, Milton, Shakespeare etc. Maybe you got predominately American authors...?

ReputationRep:
    it varies because of time differences, i don't think the nationality of the authors is taken into account...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren Teneriello)
    I took the ELAT in the United States, my test didn't have Dickons or Milton- we had a sonnet by Shakespeare and a Virginia Woolf excerpt-along with a passage from Silus Marner does the ELAT vary according to what country you take it in?!
    Someone who got the same texts as I did! I did Louis MacNeice and the extract from Murder in the Cathedral - what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    lol ok good cause i was scared how my test seemed to be different from everyone's -im really supprised they didnt' give us all the same text
    but the time zone idea deff makes sense. I did Shakespeare's sonnet and virginia woolf the waves- i luved that one so much i just had to write about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuntimagee)
    Someone who got the same texts as I did! I did Louis MacNeice and the extract from Murder in the Cathedral - what did you do?
    I wrote about 'Murder in the Cathedral' and 'The Waves'. I talked about how figurative language (simile and metaphor) was used to convey certain feelings towards mortality, i.e. in 'Cathedral', Eliot talks about the foolishness of 'trying to turn the wheel on which one turns', i.e. controlling death, while Woolf's character talks about his approaching death like a rider on a horse, raging against it. Second paragraph talked about sentence length, how Eliot's were long and winding, giving a sense of timelessness and perpetuity, as opposed to the curt and brief phrases in Woolf's piece, which conveys the idea that death is final and swift. The last paragraph was about the concept of cycles in both pieces, which was my attempt at comparing them. Good to see another American applicant out there.

S2

ReputationRep:
    Oh umm.. I'm not actually American - I'm English, but I'm in New Zealand for academic purposes, so still a home student. Guess they just wanted to control time zones? :dontknow: Can't really remember what I put at all, though I do vaguely remember writing and crossing out asceticism at least three times :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuntimagee)
    Oh umm.. I'm not actually American - I'm English, but I'm in New Zealand for academic purposes, so still a home student. Guess they just wanted to control time zones? :dontknow: Can't really remember what I put at all, though I do vaguely remember writing and crossing out asceticism at least three times :P:
    Oh, you did have the same documents though, right? It was why I responded you your post, in any case. Well, it's nice to encounter someone who read and responded to the same documents then.

ReputationRep:
    hey has anyone heard from Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    doubt we will before the end of next week. they did say a week before scheduled interviews
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think the ELAT must take quite a while to mark because my friend who applied last year only received an invitation 5 or 6 days before her interview. I imagine those whose subjects that don't require an entrance exam will hear first.

ReputationRep:
    The English Literature Aptitude Test is the admissions test for English at the University of Oxford.

Who else needs to sit it?

How are you comparing?

Have you done the sample paper? What did you do? How did you feel about it?

ReputationRep:
    Have you read this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting the ELAT - arghh!!!

ReputationRep:
    As a result of several misfortunate communication errors, it appears that my only option for the ELAT is to travel down to Oxford on the 3rd of November to sit it. It's about a 6 hour train journey from Glasgow, but I'm hoping to get a good look around St. John's while I'm there.

Is anyone else sitting the ELAT in Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you sitting it in Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    This is a great idea - moral support for everyone :/ Just over a week left!

I've tried to prepare. I won't do the sample paper until a couple of days before because there's only one after all. I've looked over advice though and tried to brush up on some literary terms etc, practising my close reading.

It's scary though.

ReputationRep:
    Me! I'm going to do the practice paper later this week,apart from that I can't really think of much else to do...any kind of English exam seems to be down to luck just as much as knowing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    HI, me. I'm doing the ELAT. Can't wait... until it's over. Ah well. I hope I'm okay at close reading, so just got to crank up my literary knowhow.

ReputationRep:
    I did the sample paper yesterday. It doesn't seem too bad- the openness of the question is reassuring. If it was like "Discuss x and y about a, b and c" it would be a lot harder, but as it is we have the freedom to go for whatever seems interesting. I am a bit worried because I tend to waffle, so I'm going to make sure I have a bone fide point before I start and not scrimp on planning time. Other than that it's just making sure I've gone over terminology and such before I go in, not much else you can do really.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is a great idea My teachers, as usual, are being hopeless... I asked my two English teachers to mark the sample paper I'd done and both said it was fine and didn't give me any advice But yeah, I'm also liking how open the question is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.