Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just did the ELAT.
    The clock's battery was dead in the room but the invigilator only noticed half way through!! So when I thought I have fifty minutes to write my essay, I had thirty! I almost cried. :P So I didn't finish, I didn't do my last paragraphs or a conclusion, I had to stop mid sentence. Does that mean I can't get anything more than 17/30?
    So gutted, I saved my best points for the conclusion and didn't get there. I would have finished with those extra minutes!! Stupid clock.
    Do the examiners give you marks for points made in your plan/annotations???

Ps. I did the Auden and the last text. I compared how nature was portrayed as innocent without the influence of language whereas humanity was presented as being worsened due to the development of language. (Although I didn't do it very well!!) :P

ReputationRep:
    I used (a) and (c) as well, and found it okay. I actually managed to check through it at the end which was reassuring! What did everybody discuss? Fingers crossed it went well, I just wish there wasn't such a wait to discover our fates!

ReputationRep:
    Well that's that done. I try not to try and judge how exams go because I always over or underestimate and then get disappointed. Was a little freaked out when I saw the question, but it wasn't too hard in the end. I compared the two poems. I had plenty enough ideas to write for the whole time, so that's okay.

It was SO WEIRD being back in my school after two years!

ReputationRep:
    I used (a) as well, but my second one was (b), the Orton extract. I wrote about how they both display where we develop our language from i.e our parents and our surroudings...anyone do anything remotely similar?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, remember there are rules about discussing the ELAT on here - be careful what you say!

ReputationRep:
    i focused mainly on extracts (a) and (c) and briefly mentioned (b). i managed to finish but my points were quite shallow :/ i wish i hadn't picked all three 20th century extracts too. i want to try again
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As with the other admission test threads, I think it'll be better to keep this locked until it's OK for you to discuss the questions. Sorry about the inconvenience.

ReputationRep:
    My test went fairly well. I know the rules for discussing ELAT on this forum are strict, but I am authorised to say that the ********* was *******, and the ****** was ***** than expected. There was a ******** poem, by ***** ***** *****. My seat was fairly ***** and I had to keep shifting ****** ****** ***** **** prevent ******* uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    How come? Surely no one else is doing it after today?

ReputationRep:
    sometimes overseas people sit it a few days later.

One of my friends was on his gap year, and he had to sit it at the British Embassy in Santiago... and he did it a few days after the UK people because of logistics and stuff

ReputationRep:
    Are we allowed to discuss it now, seeing as the thread's been unlocked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darcied)
    I have no idea, but I'd be really curious to know the percentage of English applicants they interview. It would be pretty gutting to be screened out based on results in tomorrow's exam. Good luck to you as well.
    I think on their website it says they interview 75%!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliin)
    I think on their website it says they interview 75%!
    That's what I saw...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orwell)
    That went terribly, I'm hoping that's only my perception, but really it isn't, I mean, looking back at my answers, it was really poor. What extracts did people do? I did (a) and (c)
    I did (a) and (c). I think everyone did (a) and (c).

ReputationRep:
    I did a and f, but I don't want to say anymore cause I'm not sure we're allowed to discuss it yet? (Does anyone know?!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great Lord Xenu)
    I did (a) and (c). I think everyone did (a) and (c).
    Lols, I did (a) and (c) too...

ReputationRep:
    What one was (c)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SelfishGiant)
    What one was (c)?
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. For some reason we're not allowed to talk about specific details of the paper on this forum yet, even though everyone's done it. It's super-secret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great Lord Xenu)
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. For some reason we're not allowed to talk about specific details of the paper on this forum yet, even though everyone's done it. It's super-secret.
    Oh, yeah, oops, I just said that as well :pinch:

ReputationRep:
    I did C and F. But like most people I was also considering A and C... I wonder if anyone went for B?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.