Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kuntimagee)
    You look remarkably like Anne Hathaway.
    Are there even any existing portraits of her? I'm not aware of any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominicokey)
    What I mean is: I hope that the link that is given at the start is something that is workable. Something that is good to write about, and isn't so difficult that it makes me try and find new themes in the texts.
    As I said in my big post above, they are not trying to catch you out.

(Original post by hobnob)
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I'm definitely doing this now, I hope it's on sex (of sorts). Even if it's not I'm sure I can turn each text into some form of an allegorical sex scene.

ReputationRep:
    Just bumping this...
    We will do for the A2 exam, but we're still doing coursework right now so it's not of much use for the ELAT.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You look remarkably like Anne Hathaway.
    Mm, this is something I get told on a regular basis.

I don't think they meant Shakespeare's wife.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Reverie.)
    I don't think they meant Shakespeare's wife.
    Who else? Or am I missing something obvious here?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Who else? Or am I missing something obvious here?:confused:
    I gave a picture above. Anne Hathaway is an actress.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, hobnob is officially an English geek.

Do we do pract. crit. at A level? My unit 6 had a question where we had to compare two war poemre s, one written before WW1 and one written during or after. We weren't really taught what to do, it just just "meh, compare a list of techniques or something". I didn't do any practise questions before the exam.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MSB)
    I gave a picture above. Anne Hathaway is an actress.
    Oh, right. I missed the picture because I read your post before you edited it. Oh well. Popular culture fail, I suppose...:o:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, right. I missed the picture because I read your post before you edited it. Oh well. Popular culture fail, I suppose...:o:
    :console:

I usually fail at popular culture and even I knew who she is. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AisAis)
    :console:

I usually fail at popular culture and even I knew who she is. :p:
    I've vaguely heard of her, she's just not the first person I associate with that name.:dontknow:
    Edit: By the way, there are no known portraits of her, in case anyone else was wondering (apparently not).

ReputationRep:
    For the introduction, should I say the personal pronoun 'I', in terms of 'I am going to bla bla bla' ? I know there isn't a correct way, but adivce would be greatly appreciated.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd probably say something more broad Dom, like 'this essay will discuss...' or something along those lines, rather than actually saying 'I', but I doubt it makes thaaat much difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostHorizons)
    I'd probably say something more broad Dom, like 'this essay will discuss...' or something along those lines, rather than actually saying 'I', but I doubt it makes thaaat much difference.
    Yeah I don't like using 'I' ; I feel as if I haven't earnt the write to seem so egotistical and self important in an essay...
    My introduction will be "this essay will explore texts X and Y in reference to..." I think. I'm currently writing a response to the sample paper! Fun fun fun

ReputationRep:
    I obviously have a huge ego as I like to occasionally slip 'I's into conclusions. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AisAis)
    I obviously have a huge ego as I like to occasionally slip 'I's into conclusions. :teeth:
    I've often done it in conclusions, but never until then!! What about "For me..."
    Is that worse? hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been taught never to say "I" or "us" or "we" in an essay, but to make it impersonal, so "reader", "audience" and "it can be argued" etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    I've always been taught never to say "I" or "us" or "we" in an essay, but to make it impersonal, so "reader", "audience" and "it can be argued" etc.
    This is even more arrogent as it assumes your view is representative of most readers/audiences. :p:

I alway feel a little bit guilty when I use them, but it's probably a guilty pleasure.

I'd rather use 'I' in the introduction than 'this essay'.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I always say 'reader' or 'audience' but I always say that they MAY interpret it is in this, or that the piece SUGGESTS. So I'm giving my views, but then not being too assertive in arrogance

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. I always avoid the didactic tense.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.