Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think for the introduction I'm just going to start off with a sentence about the general theme that the two excerpts or poems have in common, then i'm going to mention obviously the title and author of the excerpts that I'm using and I'm also going to briefly state an example of how they differ from each other. I think it shouldn't be too long, same with the concluding paragraph-im going to the use the main body paragraphs to support my introduction sentence
    does that sound right?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I just hinted at the themes I was going to discuss and illustrated a vague opinion, but at that point you haven't fully worked out what you're going to say, so I think a vague introduction is acceptable, especially given the time limit.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person whose sort of looking forward to it?

-shot- I like unseen text exams.
    My UCAS co-ordinator has booked me in for it, and I think that's all that had to be done to register? Not that it matters now. I'm sitting it on Wednesday regardless of whether Oxford know or not. XD

ReputationRep:
    I am quite looking forward to it all of a sudden.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm quite looking forward to it now. Suddenly I turned from completely terrified to longing for Wednesday to come sooner. That's weird isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just hoping to get it over and done with - sometimes it's the period of waiting and revising which gets too annoying.

Let's hope that it isn't too bad. =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry Lee)
    Hey, I found this sample as well: http://www.ascenduk.org/uploads/samp...tions/ELAT.pdf

Ack, I just wish that there were more so that I would a little more confident with this test. =S A week now. o_O
    Hello folks. I did this exam after some lovely person or other posted it a few days ago, really enjoyed it and came away with a tad more confidence. That was until I looked at the mock up answer. Has anyone else seen it? What do you think? Mine was astoundingly different, and somewhat less intimidating. Great.

P.S. I am applying to Hertford also, did anyone else think it was utter b******s that they disclosed everyones emails?

ReputationRep:
    I am, quite simply, terrified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren Teneriello)
    I think for the introduction I'm just going to start off with a sentence about the general theme that the two excerpts or poems have in common, then i'm going to mention obviously the title and author of the excerpts that I'm using and I'm also going to briefly state an example of how they differ from each other. I think it shouldn't be too long, same with the concluding paragraph-im going to the use the main body paragraphs to support my introduction sentence
    does that sound right?
    Save your examples for the body of your answer, I think (unless you have an example that is both very short and a perfect example of what you intend to look at).

There's no need for anything special in the introduction.

ReputationRep:
    hello folks! this is my very first post, and inevitably it is going to be filled with fear and dread. said fear and dread was borne of my attempt at the elat paper that henry lee (i am also a hertford wannabe) posted, when i thought how passable my response was until reading the mock answer. did it intimidate anyone else?

i have taken to compulsively reading austen to calm myself. proactive, i know.

ReputationRep:
    oh oh oh and were any other hertford applicants really freaked out by the message that had everyone's email addresses on it? silly jacqueline woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello, i love you.)
    oh oh oh and were any other hertford applicants really freaked out by the message that had everyone's email addresses on it? silly jacqueline woman.
    Haha! Yes, surely, they should keep the other applicants' emails confidential? o_O I'm not sure... But yes, it was shocking to see how many people have applied to the college, let alone to English! =D But yes, I am going to say good luck to everyone, I'm sure we'll still enjoy the other universities if we don't get into Hertford. =) (I'm a Hertford applicant, if you didn't know).

And yes, the Ascend example seemed horrific. I doubt I could do something like that. But I guess it really depends on the texts we are given, I just hope that that isn't the kind of detail and complexity we actually need. =S I thought my own was pretty good until I saw that. =S Sorry if I scared you! I scared myself!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, coincidentally also my first post I was wondering, if you feel there are several themes involved in the two or three sources you have chosen (to take some examples from the sample paper - education, life, death, parents living their dreams through children, etc.), should you acknowledge these themes are present but say you will concentrate on one of them in depth, thus allowing for closer reading into the text as far as style, structure, word choice and so on goes? Or is it better to say a bit about several themes and concentrate on bigger ideas rather than specifics? Basically, do we approach it from a philosophical thinker's POV or as a language analyser?

...would be the short and short of it...:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, first post on here.

Am absoutely c******g myself about this. Who else is?
    I'm not really sure of how to prepare for this one; I'm getting mixed messages. Some say don't bother as it's an unseen passage exam and is designed to test raw ability etc....others say revise with as many past papers from AEA etc as you can!! I might just try analyse some poems from an anthology to keep my analytical brain in gear....

Anywhoo, I guess it's too late now....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry Lee)
    Haha! Yes, surely, they should keep the other applicants' emails confidential? o_O I'm not sure... But yes, it was shocking to see how many people have applied to the college, let alone to English! =D But yes, I am going to say good luck to everyone, I'm sure we'll still enjoy the other universities if we don't get into Hertford. =) (I'm a Hertford applicant, if you didn't know).

And yes, the Ascend example seemed horrific. I doubt I could do something like that. But I guess it really depends on the texts we are given, I just hope that that isn't the kind of detail and complexity we actually need. =S I thought my own was pretty good until I saw that. =S Sorry if I scared you! I scared myself!
    Oh I am glad you thought it was scary! I reached the point where I was thinking that everyone must have that much to say and I have been deluding myself that I am any good! But thank you anyway for posting it, just completing a practice paper did me a world o' good. And yes, I have finally come around to the fact that although Hertford has a 24 hour library and a nice bridge, if they don't want me, s'ok. There are lots of other niceuns.

Good Luck Kids!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for raw ability. Sounds better.

"Hey, I am a raw talent, you know you want me."

Ah, self delusion, the joys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squibakou)
    I was wondering, if you feel there are several themes involved in the two or three sources you have chosen (to take some examples from the sample paper - education, life, death, parents living their dreams through children, etc.), should you acknowledge these themes are present but say you will concentrate on one of them in depth, thus allowing for closer reading into the text as far as style, structure, word choice and so on goes? :
    Hi! Erm, well I would feel confined if I had to stick to rigid themes, or theory instead of language and vice-versa, so I might go for a healthy mix. I'm just taking this exam as an opportunity to write freely, I think that's what they should want to see. However, I have no idea if that actually is what they want, probably not. I will not conform Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm hoping my raw talent shines through! (that sounds arrogant....)
    what colleges have people applied to? There seems to be a lot of Hertford-ers!
    I myself am a Brasenoser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello, i love you.)
    I'm going for raw ability. Sounds better.

"Hey, I am a raw talent, you know you want me."

Ah, self delusion, the joys.
    Haha, I agree. Looking around at all these people who seem to have found time to read study guides I'm hoping the 'fresh' approach will work. If not, I'll panic and write them a four line limerick in the hopes of amusing them into giving me an interview.

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of Hertford types, worryingly. I was so so so close to applying to Brasenose, purely based on the fact that when I was on the Sutton Trust one of the tutors spoke to us and was AMAZING. Not really sure why I opted for Hertford. Nice bridge, all hours library, supposed Northern contingent?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.