Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello, i love you.)
    Hi! Erm, well I would feel confined if I had to stick to rigid themes, or theory instead of language and vice-versa, so I might go for a healthy mix. I'm just taking this exam as an opportunity to write freely, I think that's what they should want to see. However, I have no idea if that actually is what they want, probably not. I will not conform Oxford!
    Hehe, I know, but when I did the practice one I really felt the time constraint, definitely a mix is needed, but to really show off your mad skillz weighting it on one side or the other seems necessary. I'm just not sure if they want musings or technique to come through more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanoid1)
    Well i'm hoping my raw talent shines through! (that sounds arrogant....)
    what colleges have people applied to? There seems to be a lot of Hertford-ers!
    I myself am a Brasenoser.
    Merton. I know I know. I'm a crazy lady. It just looks so calm and pretty. And the people are nice and the food is good. Hmmmmmmm...

ReputationRep:
    I suppose close reading does imply technique, which would be safer for me as I tend to wander off a bit and my musings can be somewhat unclear, but I haven't the will to stop myself. This is nightmarish. As is the given reading list on another thread, and the literary theory people keep dropping in. All credit to those who are prepared anyway, may your sleep be far less restless than mine.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose close reading does imply technique, which would be safer for me as I tend to wander off a bit and my musings can be somewhat unclear, but I haven't the will to stop myself. This is nightmarish. As is the given reading list on another thread, and the literary theory people keep dropping in. All credit to those who are prepared anyway, may your sleep be far less restless than mine.
    Exactly, I'm the same, I'll blither for ages about what certain things could imply without once mentioning stuff like periphrasis or syntax or whatever else. Allegories are beautiful but I think they might want more...arg... sleep, what sleep...

ReputationRep:
    All credit to those who are prepared anyway, may your sleep be far less restless than mine.
    I concur.

ReputationRep:
    is it advisable to just go over and make sure you're up to date on literary terms?

I'm really stuck for how to prepare for this!

ReputationRep:
    is it advisable to just go over and make sure you're up to date on literary terms?

If you're like me and can somehow write several paragraphs about a poem while failing to mention any proper literary terms, yes! Apart from reading up on practical criticism, my main preparation for the ELAT was revising literary terms, because I'm a bit hopeless at using them. It can't hurt, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of Hertford types, worryingly. I was so so so close to applying to Brasenose, purely based on the fact that when I was on the Sutton Trust one of the tutors spoke to us and was AMAZING. Not really sure why I opted for Hertford. Nice bridge, all hours library, supposed Northern contingent?
    I was going to apply to Merton, but then I decided on Hertford for some strange reason. =S I don't think it will be bad though. ^_^

But oooh, were you there for the first week of the Sutton Trust or the second? Because I was there for the first week. =)

I've gone over the literary terms - I forgot about them today. Ooops. I don't that I even mentioned simile or metaphor. O_O Ack, I need to remember them. But yes, I think going over literary terms does help.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone's ELAT already arrived at their school?
    I'm a little stressed, as the papers have not arrived, the test is on Wednesday, no information has apparently been forthcoming and the website is down... :stress:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry Lee)

But oooh, were you there for the first week of the Sutton Trust or the second? Because I was there for the first week. =)
    First week! I think I remember you, and even stranger, I think I have you on facebook...XD Were you at LMH?

ReputationRep:

Haaaaaa. Prior to reading this, I was on Wiki (not the brightest idea) looking up literary definitions. I now know what Mioses is. =l I will have forgotten in all of 5 minutes.

Bless us. =)

ReputationRep:
    Haaaaaa. Prior to reading this, I was on Wiki (not the brightest idea) looking up literary definitions. I now know what Mioses is. =l I will have forgotten in all of 5 minutes.

Bless us. =)
    well, to test you, what IS mioses??

*turns into proper geek and runs to get penguin literary term dictionary*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuntimagee)
    Has anyone's ELAT already arrived at their school?
    I'm a little stressed, as the papers have not arrived, the test is on Wednesday, no information has apparently been forthcoming and the website is down... :stress:
    Apparently, it is supposed to come about a week to 10 days prior to the exam...it should have arrived...although the postal strike?! don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Would this be my reading list?

And, as for something you said elsewhere, don't worry about the 'mock answer'. I thought it was silly.

ReputationRep:
    How long do you get for the entire test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodgycupcake)
    How long do you get for the entire test?
    90 minutes...recommened 30 mins reading 1 hour writing...arrrgh so not long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Would this be my reading list?
    Sorry sorry sorry, I thought your list was perfick, just rather frightening. I certainly haven't a lot of them, but when I recognised those that I had it was very satisfying! And I am glad you agree about the mock answer!

ReputationRep:
    well, to test you, what IS mioses??

*turns into proper geek and runs to get penguin literary term dictionary*
    Well for starters it is actually MEIOSIS. Come on Oxford, you know you want me and my ridiculous spelling.

ReputationRep:
    Well for starters it is actually MEIOSIS. Come on Oxford, you know you want me and my ridiculous spelling.
    I have never heard of this and I can't be bothered to google. What is it?

ReputationRep:
    my ELAT prep has consisted of reading about 4 pages of eagletons 'literary theory', browsing a past paper, and having copious cups of tea.

i am a gap year student though, would surely be cheating if i revised as well :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.