Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi PGCE applicants,

I'm hoping to begin my PGCE in Secondary English next year. I'm working currently as a TA to gain experience as teaching is a bit of a career change (I've had a few jobs since I graduated, & I've just turned 25).

I know that the GTTR Apply has been experiencing technical difficulties, but just want thoughts on this: I've been able to complete my whole application, and I've requested references. But I don't know if the reference request email has gone out at all- there's no "reference history" tab to track the status of my reference, and it's still allowing me to click "request a reference", although the rest of the application is frozen. I've clicked the reference request button twice but don't want to click any more as I don't want to inundate my old tutor with 100s of automated emails! Is anyone else having a similar problem?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am concerned about the same problem and like you I hit the request email twice. U have however received an email to say that my referee has accepted the reference request. From reading the email there should be a part where we can now keep track of our reference! Hmm I might ring up and double check as my referee is very efficient and has probably sent it by now )

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondered if you could help....im really getting worried!!

I filled in my application and references etc, but don't recall seeing a request reference button???!!!! I got an email asking me to verify my email address so they can send me emails, does this mean that my reference has been requested or not????

Also do you know if I can make changes to my application once reference has been requested/accepted? I may have messed it up during the tech probs!!!!!

Thanks for any help xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got by GTTR not to request references yet. I have no reference request button either but I think that's because I havent managed to totally complete the form yet due to the degree end date glitch. I think as soon as everything is complete there should be a button at the bottom of the 'check form' screen. Then when that's complete (i.e. after 5th Oct) you should be able to start sending stuff off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephie1985)
    Hi, just wondered if you could help....im really getting worried!!

I filled in my application and references etc, but don't recall seeing a request reference button???!!!! I got an email asking me to verify my email address so they can send me emails, does this mean that my reference has been requested or not????

Also do you know if I can make changes to my application once reference has been requested/accepted? I may have messed it up during the tech probs!!!!!

Thanks for any help xx
    I'm also wondering if I can alter my application once my reference has been accepted. I noticed a teeny tiny mistake ('too' instead of 'to') in my personal statement which is bugging the life out of me. Hopefully I can change it.

I didn't realise that applications were not sent to universities until October 5th. Do you think this is because of all the confusion/crashing of the GTTR website?

ReputationRep:
    I phoned and got through to gttr earlier and the guy told me the request reference button is on the references page, which I must have missed earlier!! I forgot to ask him though if changes can be made to the application once the request has been sent!!!!

So now I am keen to send my reference request but don't want to until the changes to my application have been made and saved, i'm hoping the glitches have been sorted out now?!!

I'm not sure why they're not being sent till the 5th, it's better though knowing that even though there are tech faults, no-one can send their application till then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephie1985)
    I phoned and got through to gttr earlier and the guy told me the request reference button is on the references page, which I must have missed earlier!! I forgot to ask him though if changes can be made to the application once the request has been sent!!!!

So now I am keen to send my reference request but don't want to until the changes to my application have been made and saved, i'm hoping the glitches have been sorted out now?!!

I'm not sure why they're not being sent till the 5th, it's better though knowing that even though there are tech faults, no-one can send their application till then!
    You won't be able to make any changes to your application on-line once your reference request is sent; however, if you do decide you wish to make changes to your choice after you submit your application, you may ring GTTR to have them make the changes as long as your application is not with the provider you're making changes to.

You may refer to their FAQs: http://www.gttr.ac.uk/students/afteryouapply/faqs/

ReputationRep:
    I rang GTTR today to ask what was happening with my references. They said my request was sent (even though I could still click the "request reference" button), but that my referee hadn't agreed/done the reference. I was planning to ask the Deputy Head of English in my new job as a TA as my original referee is my old tutor, and he sometimes doesn't get back unless you bug him, which I didn't want to do. But to my delight today, I came home from school to find that my old tutor had both agreed to do the reference and had written it too. I felt very happy with this, but I can't pay and send it off until the 5th October, so my application is just frozen until then.

Just to say, I really recommend ringing GTTR if you're having problems, they're very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I have not been able to email my referees so far because there is no reference request button. As I am from Germany, I obviously have no GCSE but equivalent qualifications (checked that beforehand with the uni I'd like to apply to). However, in the "check form" section the system keeps on telling me that I do not meet the English and Maths requirements. Everything else is completed. I rang the GTTR on Friday and they told me that apparently due to the technical problems only the actual GCSE is accepted at the moment. :rant:

I wonder why it takes them that long to fix it but if there are so many different issues, I suppose one that hits the few international applicants won't be the first on their agenda :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have had the same reference problems as yourself, I have already sent it but the option is still there to send it again. This led to me clicking perhaps a few too many times but better safe than sorry! I phoned GTTR and they told me it had been sent although they didnt explain why the option remained. Its a bit annoying as i'm sure many people can't keep bothering their referee to find out if they have received it and its very tempting to click on it again!

ReputationRep:
    OK... so my 'Request Reference' button finally appeared today after going through each tab and saving everything (AGAIN!) as I went.
    Now I've clicked it, everything has frozen on my application apart from the References section, somewhat confusingly (why don't they just freeze that as well??!!).
    So was wondering 'what happens now?' I assume my Referee will be contacted to provide a reference! %-) BUT then what!?

**When am I able to click the 'Pay/send' tab button? I'd never have thought I'd be so keen on paying for something in my life!

I just want it all to be over :'( for better or for worse!!

ReputationRep:
    When you click the reference request button your primary referee will be contact by email to provide a reference online. Your application has frozen because you can no longer update or change any choices/personal statement. When you receive your reference back from your referee the pay/send button should appear at which point you can send to GTTR, and let them do the rest!

ReputationRep:
    I've finally finished my form after all the glitches, and clicked the 'request reference' button. It's still clickable, but from what I've read here it seems that it doesn't mean my request hasn't gone through. I have an extremely efficient referee, so I'm sure I'll know quite quickly if it has worked!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if you can change the personal statement after the reference has come back? Or is it just the pay and send button that you can click on.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be able to change anything after you have requested/received a reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanBrook)
    You won't be able to change anything after you have requested/received a reference.
    thanks, enter expletive here { }

So does anyone have any advice for my friend who needs to change parts of his personal statement but unfortunately has requested for a reference which means he can't change anything in his form even after the reference has come through. :eek3:

I wouldn't like to be him!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried phoning them? I read somewhere you can make changes but you have to phone them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velovelo)
    thanks, enter expletive here { }

So does anyone have any advice for my friend who needs to change parts of his personal statement but unfortunately has requested for a reference which means he can't change anything in his form even after the reference has come through. :eek3:

I wouldn't like to be him!:woo:
    Please see my post above with a link. According to that link, there is no chance of changing your personal statement with GTTR (it's not something they can change, and they won't give you access to it again). The thing with the personal statement can be seen by your tutor, so it can be taken into consideration when s/he is writing the recommendation.

The only option would be to contact the school the application is with in hopes that they may let your friend submit a fresh personal statement directly to the tutors there; however, I'm not sure how good that will look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1tsun3)
    Please see my post above with a link. According to that link, there is no chance of changing your personal statement with GTTR (it's not something they can change, and they won't give you access to it again). The thing with the personal statement can be seen by your tutor, so it can be taken into consideration when s/he is writing the recommendation.

The only option would be to contact the school the application is with in hopes that they may let your friend submit a fresh personal statement directly to the tutors there; however, I'm not sure how good that will look.
    Thanks for the info,

It is only to change the grammar in it so it flows better. The content is exactly the same as before just the odd work here or there.

I'll give the GTTR a ring as they seem a little slow in replying to emails and see what they have to say.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just wondered, is it a must to use a university lecturer as your number one referee? Because although it has only been two years since my graduation, I have been volunteering at a Primary school since February this year one day a week, occasionally Monday to Friday and the headmistress has offered to write my reference. I just think she knows me better, and most importantly knows what I am like in a professional manner in the industry I want to work in. But I don’t want to put her first in case that’s wrong; it’s just I heard that generally the training provider only looks at the first reference.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.