Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would It Be Disrespectful To Wear A Comical Cow Costume To The Indian? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my 2 friends are going to a fancy dress party and were going to have a meal at the indian beforehand but the problem is that our costume is of a comical cow and i've just remembered that the cow is sacred in india. Would they find me and my friends wearing comical cow costumes really offensive? Bonus points if you are indian and you answer this!

ReputationRep:
    ?????

ReputationRep:
    You're probably going to get an odd look, and may (this is a big MAY) not be allowed in the restaurant.

Tbh it really depends upon the people in the restaurant at that time

ReputationRep:
    Do It!!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol im Indian, i am also wearing the cow suit RIGHT NOW

Im not sure hiow they would take it, everyones different, i guess its not so appropriate....You could always cover up most of it with a jacket or something?

ReputationRep:
    well...you won't get eaten, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Ring up and ask beforehand, common sign of courtesy, explain your situation. Could you not get changed afterwards or perhaps wear something over it?

ReputationRep:
    Just do it. Don't worry, it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain you're not doing it to offend.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the answers. So cows aren't really that special in India, just special enough not to be eaten?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RKShereni)
    Lol im Indian, i am also wearing the cow suit RIGHT NOW

Im not sure hiow they would take it, everyones different, i guess its not so appropriate....You could always cover up most of it with a jacket or something?

LOL.. a big cow costume with a cow head wearing a dinner jacket?

That would look even weirder!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just take the costume off while you're in the restaurant - put it in a big bag or something? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Cows are not sacred in India, they are just not eaten. If the owners of the restaurant are first-gen Indians then they may find any unusual costume quite unsightly but even then I doubt you'd get kicked out. It's always safe to ring up beforehand or just take the costume off for the meal. Have fun, it sounds like a laugh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    Thanks for all the answers. So cows aren't really that special in India, just special enough not to be eaten?
    In Nepal (Hindu like India) killing a cow carries the same penalty as killing a human! Its a big thing for them, but i think Indians care less, and hindus living in the UK are going to be used to used to the TV flaunting burgers in their face all day anyway.

EDIT: at least it used to be the same sentence - my source may be out of date. Certainly, its socially unacceptable and illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    In Nepal (Hindu like India) killing a cow carries the same penalty as killing a human! Its a big thing for them, but i think Indians care less, and hindus living in the UK are going to be used to used to the TV flaunting burgers in their face all day anyway.
    Ok thanks.. I don't have a clue lol! What about Islam? I think the people who work there are Muslims.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok thanks.. I don't have a clue lol! What about Islam? I think the people who work there are Muslims.
    :facepalm:

Muslims have nothing against eating cows - they avoid pigs!

ReputationRep:
    Me and my 2 friends are going to a fancy dress party and were going to have a meal at the indian beforehand but the problem is that our costume is of a comical cow and i've just remembered that the cow is sacred in india. Would they find me and my friends wearing comical cow costumes really offensive? Bonus points if you are indian and you answer this!
    na he'll see the funny side which is you dressing up as a comic cow, however dressing up as a pig and going to a Muslim party is not ideal

ReputationRep:
    the restaurant is probably run by muslims, so it wouldnt matter anyway

ReputationRep:

i've lived in india. and hindus, unlike muslims, are not super-sensitive mad religious nutters. they will see that you impersonating a cow is nothing more than a bit of nonsense. will probably laugh.
    and besides, this is england. if you wanna be a cow, be a cow. it's a free country.
    mooooo!!!!

ReputationRep:
    so is it a yay or nay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redreynard)
    i've lived in india. and hindus, unlike muslims, are not super-sensitive mad religious nutters. they will see that you impersonating a cow is nothing more than a bit of nonsense. will probably laugh.
    and besides, this is england. if you wanna be a cow, be a cow. it's a free country.
    mooooo!!!!
    This. And I'm Indian Cows are important but we won't mind it as long as ur not killing/harming them.

I cant really see them kicking u out for that as long as its not combined with any other wrong doing (not that this is)...so yeah go for it!

EDIT: I live in Dubai though, am not yet in UK! Dunno if that changes anything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.