Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by HamsterdanceX)
    Because teenagers/young adults at top unis care more about their education than themselves, or family or friends.
    Excuse you? Do you have ANY idea what you're talking about?

What a ridiculous statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeffy91)
    Aston is perfect.

You get the people who are smart but like to have a bit of fun too and are a cool bunch, which makes sense that they're at a top 20 instead of a top 10 or top 3.

The top top unis are full of social retards who put too much effort into school work and are very sad. You get a few normal people there though, just not many.
    You're well cool :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I've got nothing against people at top uni's, you should all be proud of yourselves and will probably go on to be quite rich.

But I have tbh..

(Original post by Jeffy91)
    The top top unis are full of social retards who put too much effort into school work and are very sad. You get a few normal people there though, just not many.
    This quote does stand true with the majority of people at top uni's from what I HAVE EXPERIENCED. Hard to communicate with because there so insecure, socially ignorant and lack the life experiences which other students probably have experienced (probaably because they went to private schools).

Obviously there are exceptions though.

Edit: I should add I think this applies to guys more than girls.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know at top unis are fairly cool, nice people.

They aren't 'wasters' (I use the term as descriptive rather than derogatory), but they are generally people who can have fun in all sorts of ways.

Alot of those I know at 'lesser' unis tend to think that alcohol/drugs is the only way one can be properly sociable. Which makes a fairly crappy atmosphere most of the time, imo.

Obviously neither sample is really large enough to say for sure, and I'm sure there are a lot of counter-examples, but that is my experience.

Tbh its a matter of the whole 'delayed vs instant gratification' debate--people at top flight unis are generally working hard in the expectation of greater pleasure later while those at lower flight unis will get more enjoyment in the short run but perhaps less in the long run. Though of course none of the participants have perfect information so no one knows what they'll get in the long run.

Plus, of course, some people just like learning

ReputationRep:
    I have been reliably informed that during job interviews for graduate level positions, the interviewer will ask you about how many parties you attended, how many ****s you bagged, and how drunk you were throughout your course on a scale of 1-10.

I'm at Oxford, and am sad to say a lot of us are disappointingly normal...

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the person above. Cool stops existing once you leave school, and seriously? It's perfectly possible to be nerdy and social and funny while liking books. Amazing, huh?

(Original post by d0mz)
    Yes.

I've said it before in different threads and I'll say it again. I don't go to a good university at all, but I'm glad I don't, because the people that I go to uni with and live with have all lived a bit and experienced life a bit more, in comparison to the higher tier universities. I live in halls which are shared between the met and the red-brick uni of, and I've seen it first hand.
    That doesn't work for everywhere as it only reflects your experience of university. My flatmates last year were single-handedly the most well-rounded, interesting and adventurous group of individuals I have ever met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    "Cool" is just some stupid ideal that teenagers have. Doesn't apply to university students beyond freshers.

i agree. people who worry about being cool are usually terrified to fit in. much better to be who you are.
    you try to be cool, hang out on the beach, drink beer. then 5 years later you end up walking down said beach with a can of tenant's extra strong lager and a scraggy dog on the end of a leash.
    whereas the uncool kid is making big bucks in the city and going off to the bahamas on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)

They aren't 'wasters' (I use the term as descriptive rather than derogatory), but they are generally people who can have fun in all sorts of ways.

Alot of those I know at 'lesser' unis tend to think that alcohol/drugs is the only way one can be properly sociable. Which makes a fairly crappy atmosphere most of the time, imo.

Obviously neither sample is really large enough to say for sure, and I'm sure there are a lot of counter-examples, but that is my experience.

Tbh its a matter of the whole 'delayed vs instant gratification' debate--people at top flight unis are generally working hard in the expectation of greater pleasure later while those at lower flight unis will get more enjoyment in the short run but perhaps less in the long run. Though of course none of the participants have perfect information so no one knows what they'll get in the long run.

Alan Sugar.

Where's my cookie?

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    No, I just think they're clever, and people at lesser universities are jealous of them and make up rubbish like 'they're not cool'.
    I actually agree with you, Bubbles. :mute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the-general)
    aston is perfect, what made you say that?

in what way is aston perfect, i live in birmingham and have been to aston several times for masterclasses and events and most of the students are chavs who don't have much hope of doing well in their degrees
    One of my friends is at Aston and although yes, he's turning into a bit of a chav, he said that the reason he and his contemporaries did well and got firsts/upper second class marks is because the course is a "******* doss".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    Alan Sugar.

Where's my cookie?
    Wut? No cookie. You are WRONG.

As long as you get shagged, your as 'cool' as anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamsterdanceX)
    Because teenagers/young adults at top unis care more about their education than themselves, or family or friends.

surely getting to a top university shows that you care for yourself, you want to be successful. it also shows that you care for your family, you want to allow them to be proud of you. and friends, if you define what you do in relation to the demands of your friends, you'll end up just another mediocre kid going nowhere.

ReputationRep:

You're one funny guy, seriously the dude in your sig is called joseph stiglitz:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I have been reliably informed that during job interviews for graduate level positions, the interviewer will ask you about how many parties you attended, how many ****s you bagged, and how drunk you were throughout your course on a scale of 1-10.
    Positive rep for this haha

ReputationRep:
    Wut? No cookie. You are WRONG.

I am never wrong. Cookie now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    You're one funny guy, seriously the dude in your sig is called joseph stiglitz:awesome:

Cookie for this man here!
    :sly:

I am never wrong. Cookie now.
    Look at that cookie there. Nice isn't it. Nice melted chocolate chips, and dough that melts in your mouth. Bet you wish you won that don't you? Well you didn't. You were wrong.

ReputationRep:
    In general, it is very true. All the people I know people who go/went to uclan, cumbria and other low rank unis who are cool. Cool is generally being outgoing, confident, funny, nice and good socially. People I know who went Cambridge, Warwick etc. were nerds who talk about WoW and are obsessed with work and socially inept. Not cool (execpt on TSR).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.