Turn on thread page Beta

Scrap A-Levels and keep GCSE subjects? Good or bad? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I am planning on spending 4 years in college, maybe just 2/3 years if I don't bother with a-levels.

I'm retaking English and doing basic maths (Level 1 and 2), Graffics and journalism level 2 course and photography. Next year - Chem GCSE, Maths GCSE and Fine Art GCSE, then maybe if I don't bother with A-Levels, third year, Radio Production Course at my college and Art and Design Diploma.

Is this okay, I'm doing subjects I enjoy, but first year is all the sort of things I need for my dream career; A Motoring Journalist. :yes:

Do I honestly need A-Levels if I don't go to uni?

ReputationRep:
    it's competitive, they're are most likely going to be people applying with 3-4 a levels and you're spending a year doing 3 GCSE's.

and what is maths level 1 and 2? is that pre-gcse? in that case I would aim for something else. Not journalism.

Just to let you know, it's not Graffics, it's Graphics

And I would advise you to take A levels, it is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm asking because I've been told by staff at my college.. "ohh don't do A-Levels you'll find it hard." I'm in doubt really.

I got an E in Maths so I can't retake GCSE; I have to go through with pre-GCSE, which pisses me off tbh.

So A-levels are that important? So I can't get throught with just GCSEs, which is what most eplyers first look for which is GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamsterdanceX)
    Well I'm asking because I've been told by staff at my college.. "ohh don't do A-Levels you'll find it hard." I'm in doubt really.

I got an E in Maths so I can't retake GCSE; I have to go through with pre-GCSE, which pisses me off tbh.

So A-levels are that important? So I can't get throught with just GCSEs, which is what most eplyers first look for which is GCSEs.
    How can they actually say that to you? What kind of people are they? I got a D in maths which I did a year early, and I am forced to retake it this Novemeber and my teacher expects and A*. You see...this clearly shows how demeaning your college is. No offense but I am actually devastated with what they have 'advised' you.

I would advise you to got to your local Connexions site and I am sure they will provide you with some much needed educational/career advise!

Oh and if you live in or around London, this event at the ExCel centre might be useful: http://www.skillslondon2010.co.uk/site/1/:

Oh and apologies about my earlier reply, I was really high during my lunch break!
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    employers would look primarily at your english and maths GCSE's but you need decent A levels to back that up.

I doubt you will ever become a motoring journalist, it may be hard but drop your ambition and try to be a bit more in your own league. Sorry if that sounds harsh.
    OP don't let this guy put you down! If you want to be a motoriing journalist and have the ambition to succeed, then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    OP don't let this guy put you down! If you want to be a motoriing journalist and have the ambition to succeed, then go for it!
    Cars and anything motoring is my key talent, I have no other career interests, than that. So thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to these clueless people. Retake your English and Maths, and then assess your options from there. It will be hard though to break into the journalism industry without a degree. You'll have to start from the bottom. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid16)
    Don't listen to these clueless people. Retake your English and Maths, and then assess your options from there. It will be hard though to break into the journalism industry without a degree. You'll have to start from the bottom. Good luck
    Okay - thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamsterdanceX)
    Okay - thanks
    Your written english seems good, what went wrong in the exam? you should try and get some experience with your local paper aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid16)
    Your written english seems good, what went wrong in the exam? you should try and get some experience with your local paper aswell
    I don't know tbh; I did come out with bad GCSEs, the highest was 2 Cs, in Science and RE, I think it may of been a mixture of problems going on in year 11 and the fact half the teachers wasn't teaching my properly and their excuse was that I was apperently 'un teachable' because I'm borderline Autistic, but I wasn't any problem in lessons, I behaved so school failed me. Everyone I knew was shocked as well as me that I got Es and Ds.

ReputationRep:
    Start looking at a few courses now, maybe e-mail a few admissions departments outlining your current situation. They might accept you based on some journalism work you've done before (try and find some work experience if you can) so you won't have to go through A-Levels if you really don't want to.

Btw - the people in your college sound like idiots.

Good luck

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.