Turn on thread page Beta

Can you trust a girl who has a close male friend? watch

• View Poll Results: The girl you fancy has a best friend who is male. Is she -
    Marriage material
    57.69%
    Pump and dump
    42.31%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twl)
    Have you ****** any of them? Anything sexual ever? I read plenty of posts here where a girl talks about having sex with a guy who was her friend so you can't deny it happens.
    Definitely not. Nothing sexual, nothing anywhere close. The odd hug when we're going home or breaking up for holidays.

I'm not going to deny that it doesn't happen, because it obviously does. But I haven't, nor would I ever.

I don't believe an intelligent woman can be so niave that her male friends have never fantasised about doing anything sexual with her. If you are 6/10 and upwards you've been mentally undressed.
    Well I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent woman, and whilst I doubt that has ever happened in regards to me, it will happen. Just because they may think it doesn't mean that I would indulge it.

As I said, guys with females for best friends are usually gay, unless they are trying to **** them or are ******* them. Notice it is the opposite side of this question.
    Maybe. That said I know plenty of perfectly straight guys that have close female friends and don't want to screw them.

Your inability to understand that women can have friends of the opposite sex and that this relationship can stay firmly in the friend-zone tells me that you're insecure with yourself.

I'm perfectly content to have male friends and to have best friends who are male. Any boyfriend that doubts my commitment to him just because I have guy friends will be shown firmly where the door is. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Its nothing to do with the girl; sort your own insecurities out.
    Nobody is secure. I think I have a realistic idea of risks. If you are asking for husband, male best friend and 'exes' on tap for sex, if I'm not being insensitive, I'm being eviscerated by a ******* slut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar_and_spice)
    It's a good thing I'm not your girlfriend then I agree with what the person above me said, its about your insecurities, not the fact that all girls who talk to guys are tramps
    No saying they are unattractive... they may be attractive, they might be the ideal pump and dumps. Just not marriage material for any guy who wants an LTR.

(Original post by twl)
    Hypothetical situation: Girl you fancy has a close friend... a male best friend. She says he and her are best buddies in the world, he's really funny and friendly but it's "not like that".

Can you trust a girl like that?

- Does it depend on how attractive her male friend is?

- Would you trust her more or less if she had multiple male friends?

- Does the fact she has only one male best friend creep you out, or would more best friends make you more suspicious of her chastity?

- If he best friend was her 'ex' would you like that?

Are girls like that marriage material or a pump and dump?
    I would trust her, for one simple reason - I am a close male friend. Similarly, I hope any future girlfriends I have don't have any problems with the girl whose close male friend I am.

ReputationRep:
    I can trust a girl like that. Maybe you can't, but that would be because you're stupid, not because you're untrustworth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbusterbunny)
    Definitely not. Nothing sexual, nothing anywhere close. The odd hug when we're going home or breaking up for holidays.
    Hug, eh? A hug is a euphemism for "chest mediated breast fondle"

I'm not going to deny that it doesn't happen, because it obviously does. But I haven't, nor would I ever.
    You're still young. While you maintain contact with your male friends, there's always a chance. Men know this... to them, it's an unattractive "red flag" to dating you seriously, as opposed to PAD.

Maybe. That said I know plenty of perfectly straight guys that have close female friends and don't want to screw them.
    I'm not saying it's impossible but I bet at least some of the non-gay ones are lying.

Your inability to understand that women can have friends of the opposite sex and that this relationship can stay firmly in the friend-zone tells me that you're insecure with yourself.

I'm perfectly content to have male friends and to have best friends who are male. Any boyfriend that doubts my commitment to him just because I have guy friends will be shown firmly where the door is. Simple as.
    Not true. Women love jealous men. What could you want that you can't get here baby?
    Etc.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I have one really good close male friend and I have a boyfriend. Never have I considered my guy friend as anything more than my friend. I look atmy boyfriend in a totally different way to my friend and wuldn't go there My boyfriend trusts me and I trust myself too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twl)
    Hug, eh? A hug is a euphemism for "chest mediated breast fondle"
    Oh PLEASE.

You're still young. While you maintain contact with your male friends, there's always a chance. Men know this... to them, it's an unattractive "red flag" to dating you seriously, as opposed to PAD.
    Do I care? Not really, no.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I bet at least some of the non-gay ones are lying.
    Probably are. Again, I wouldn't indulge them anyway.

Not true. Women love jealous men. What could you want that you can't get here baby?
    Etc.
    Ugh. Jealousy in a man is one of the most unattractive things I've ever come across.

You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I would trust her, for one simple reason - I am a close male friend. Similarly, I hope any future girlfriends I have don't have any problems with the girl whose close male friend I am.
    That's just ******* complicated, and it relies on various people trusting each other. Throw in a bit of alcohol, horny situation and oops, something's happened. Complete accident, didn't mean to but you have committed adultery. Or your wife has betrayed you.

The point I'm making: the more men your girl knows the more likely it is she will betray you. If only because there are more opportunities for accidental **** ups.

So, in preference, date seriously only girls that prefer girl friends. Anyway, what's up with women who can't get on with other girls/have no girl friends? What does that say about them?

ReputationRep:
    haha pump and dump lmao

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as opposite sexes being best friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_night)
    I have one really good close male friend and I have a boyfriend. Never have I considered my guy friend as anything more than my friend. I look atmy boyfriend in a totally different way to my friend and wuldn't go there My boyfriend trusts me and I trust myself too.
    Easy to say now but it only takes a rough patch with your boyfriend, a shoulder to cry on, one night of emotional passion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoLoco)
    There is no such thing as opposite sexes being best friends.
    Can you explain in more depth please, for our education.

ReputationRep:
    In the words of the great Biz Markie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twl)
    Can you explain in more depth please, for our education.
    Either the girl likes the boy, or the boy likes the girl. One of them is responsible for keeping the friendship going and is clueless whilst the other is in love and is scared to tell her/him. Trust me, no good comes from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    No.
    Succinct and to the point.

I notice the poll is running 9/11 in favour of pumping and dumping girls who have boy best friends. I kind of have the feeling that the majority of the 11 are votes from men.

This subject polarises the sexes!

ReputationRep:
    I'm "one of the boys" and have loads of guy friends and get along a heck of a lot better with guys. one of my best friends is a guy, and he has been my best friend for about 6 years now. his first girlfriend had an issue with me being around, but I always say to whatever girlfriend he has ... if I wanted to be with him, she wouldn't even be in the picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoLoco)
    Either the girl likes the boy, or the boy likes the girl. One of them is responsible for keeping the friendship going and is clueless whilst the other is in love and is scared to tell her/him. Trust me, no good comes from it.
    That's my feeling.

All these girls with boys for friends... they just have a lot of "hangers on" who are desperate to get in their knickers.

******** they don't realise it. These guys are their man harems, to **** as and when they please.

(Original post by twl)
    That's just ******* complicated, and it relies on various people trusting each other. Throw in a bit of alcohol, horny situation and oops, something's happened. Complete accident, didn't mean to but you have committed adultery. Or your wife has betrayed you.
    There has been alcohol involved. Nothing happened. I doubt anything ever will.
    The point I'm making: the more men your girl knows the more likely it is she will betray you. If only because there are more opportunities for accidental **** ups.
    This relies on the girl not being trustworthy to begin with. There's a difference between a girl who's got herself drunk and can't say no because she's not in a fit state for anything and a girl who has an affair.
    So, in preference, date seriously only girls that prefer girl friends. Anyway, what's up with women who can't get on with other girls/have no girl friends? What does that say about them?
    It says that she, like me, is socially awkward.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.