Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Don't have work experience YET but need to write my PS... What should I do? watch

ReputationRep:
    I won't have any work experience at the time of UCAS application, but I have contacted several hospital's asking for a placement. I am confident that by next September, I will have had some work experience.

How do I go about this when writing my personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    Hey , im in exactly the same situation. hang on do you mean your applying to medicine now and your hoping that by the time you get an interview you would of already had work experience placement. ??

Put in your PS that you are actively seeking work experience but haven't had any as yet due to blahblah (being too young, too busy studying, etc.).

It's best to be honest in PS' as admissions tutors can see right through all the crap.

Not everyone who wants to be a medic will ahve had hands on experience in a hospital so just tell them it's a possibility and convey that you're really eager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MG.GULED)
    Hey , im in exactly the same situation. hang on do you mean your applying to medicine now and your hoping that by the time you get an interview you would of already had work experience placement. ??

Yes, and I'm applying as a mature student to Medicine with a foundation year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    Put in your PS that you are actively seeking work experience but haven't had any as yet due to blahblah (being too young, too busy studying, etc.).

It's best to be honest in PS' as admissions tutors can see right through all the crap.

Not everyone who wants to be a medic will ahve had hands on experience in a hospital so just tell them it's a possibility and convey that you're really eager.
    Cool, that's helped a bit thank you

ReputationRep:
    Really you need to be doing more than just trying to get into hospitals, as you may find it won't happen and come interview time, you have nothing.
    Volunteer, get a job as a care assistant, hospices, St John ambulance etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    Lmfao. Do not write this in your PS. ESPECIALLY the 'too busy studying' one.

There are hundreds of students out there doing a-levels and degrees who have managed to arrange and attend multiple shadowing placements. Stating that you were 'too busy studying' implies that you are incapable of organising your time well.

OP, you should have organised this sooner. It's your own fault.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Lmfao. Do not write this in your PS. ESPECIALLY the 'too busy studying' one.

There are hundreds of students out there doing a-levels and degrees who have managed to arrange and attend multiple shadowing placements. Stating that you were 'too busy studying' implies that you are incapable of organising your time well.

OP, you should have organised this sooner. It's your own fault.
    This is pretty much on the ball.

I would suggest saying that you have some planned/are planning it and saying what you'd hope to learn, and then applying to universities that don't put so much emphasis on the PS. Places like SGUL (who will only ask you about work experience at interview, so gives you a few months to get it done), but avoid places like Soton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    This is pretty much on the ball.

I would suggest saying that you have some planned/are planning it and saying what you'd hope to learn, and then applying to universities that don't put so much emphasis on the PS. Places like SGUL (who will only ask you about work experience at interview, so gives you a few months to get it done), but avoid places like Soton.
    Right in my situation, I have done two years volunteering as a ward assistant and GP work experience but I do have planned the job as a HCA, volunteering at a special needs school, volunteering at a carehome, more GP work experience and work experience programme at hospital. So as I am planning to apply to SOTON, would this be a bad choice as I have lots of things planned? They are gap year plans. Or have I just got the wrong end of the stick and it only applies to OP..
    -panic-

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point in writing about 'what you are going to do'. The whole point of work experience is so you can learn about the career in order to make an informed and aware decision. If it is done after the application, it doesn't really work.

In addition, anyone can say what they 'are going to do'. It doesn't really mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    GOdSPEEDgehena i strongly disagree !!!! ......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MG.GULED)
    GOdSPEEDgehena i strongly disagree !!!! ......
    Of course you do. You're in the same position as OP.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of work experience is to help you make an informed decision of whether the career is right for YOU!

What is the point of doing it after you submit your application, to me it just shows you are lazy and haven't done much to get to know the career, the 'too busy' thing won't cut since you are only doing your A-Levels, I know people who are doing degrees and some with 2/3 jobs have managed to get some WE under their belt. It didn't have to be GP/hospital experience even though it is preferred, but admission tutors understand it is difficult to get a hold of those opportunities. Any sort of primary/social care or charitable organization would've sufficed.

ReputationRep:
    I think being in a position where you haven't had any work experience in a profession you're supposed to be dedicated to by the age of 21 is going to be a big black mark on your application.

Most Medical tutors are understanding when it comes to 16-18 year olds not having work experience, because they can only apply through college and there are limited places, but you could've applied at any point during your 3 degree years and easilly gotten a placement, even for a week.

I've only managed to have 2 weeks of Work experience doing relatively similiar stuff to what I do when volunteering, but I organised that myself when I turned 18, and it took like 3-4 weeks to go through.

Do you volunteer? If you're an active volunteer, it's very easy to go into a hospital and tell them that you're a volunteer and you need to get some work experience. They'll 'prioritise' you, and you should be dandy.

My advice, if you're absolutely CERTAIN you will have a work placement, is to say "I have organised a work placement at ##### for @@@@. I hope this will be an enlightening experience, and an opportunity for me to learn more about the intricacies of patient care".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    I think being in a position where you haven't had any work experience in a profession you're supposed to be dedicated to by the age of 21 is going to be a big black mark on your application.

Most Medical tutors are understanding when it comes to 16-18 year olds not having work experience, because they can only apply through college and there are limited places, but you could've applied at any point during your 3 degree years and easilly gotten a placement, even for a week.

I've only managed to have 2 weeks of Work experience doing relatively similiar stuff to what I do when volunteering, but I organised that myself when I turned 18, and it took like 3-4 weeks to go through.

Do you volunteer? If you're an active volunteer, it's very easy to go into a hospital and tell them that you're a volunteer and you need to get some work experience. They'll 'prioritise' you, and you should be dandy.

My advice, if you're absolutely CERTAIN you will have a work placement, is to say "I have organised a work placement at ##### for @@@@. I hope this will be an enlightening experience, and an opportunity for me to learn more about the intricacies of patient care".
    THIS.

Good luck OP
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aiboz)
    Right in my situation, I have done two years volunteering as a ward assistant and GP work experience but I do have planned the job as a HCA, volunteering at a special needs school, volunteering at a carehome, more GP work experience and work experience programme at hospital. So as I am planning to apply to SOTON, would this be a bad choice as I have lots of things planned? They are gap year plans. Or have I just got the wrong end of the stick and it only applies to OP..
    -panic-
    Wrong end of the stick!

I was talking about a school leaver applicant with zero work experience just saying "I know I haven't done any yet but I promise I will!!" You've done loads already, and then gap year plans on top. That's exactly what I'm doing and I'm planning on applying to Soton.

OP: I think you might as well apply this year (but make sure you apply very, very carefully) but plan lots of work experience. Then if you get four rejections, you will have an assload of work experience to reapply with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Wrong end of the stick!

I was talking about a school leaver applicant with zero work experience just saying "I know I haven't done any yet but I promise I will!!" You've done loads already, and then gap year plans on top. That's exactly what I'm doing and I'm planning on applying to Soton.

OP: I think you might as well apply this year (but make sure you apply very, very carefully) but plan lots of work experience. Then if you get four rejections, you will have an assload of work experience to reapply with.
    Ah thanks for clearing that up. Good Luck.

With regard to OP, what Beska said. ^

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned that I had arranged work exp on my PS and when I had my interviews it hadn't come round yet >_< so they were just like "oh okay.. what do you think you'll learn once you get there?"

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think that someone with a higher number of volunteering/work exp on their PS is favored as opposed to someone who has done one or two things but committed to those things long term? Especially if the person is studying a degree, is doing one or two voluntary things and one or two work exp acceptable?

Does this apply to soton too? do they prefer people who apply intending to take a gap year and giving their gap year plans? I mean most people applying as a graduate probably don't want to take a gap year as well unless they are forced to due to 4 rejections.

Any advice appreciated

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.