Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello people, some general advice needed for a prospective barrister watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickJB1989)
    Surely with a first from Oxford, nothing can really be considered aiming too high?
    Agreed. Point is that even then the odds are against you at certain sets: i.e. the ones that interview only those with that sort of CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickJB1989)
    Surely with a first from Oxford, nothing can really be considered aiming too high?
    Dalian is right on this one. There are sets where every tenant has an Oxford first, or a Cambridge double first, and a huge, accomplished CV on top of that. At Blackstone or Brick Court an Oxbridge first is a necessary, not a sufficient, condition. (There are tenants at both sets who don't have degrees from Oxbridge, or don't have firsts, but they're few and far between. Their CVs are also astonishing, so unless you happen to be an exceptional case it's unlikely you'll get very far without an Oxbridge first.)

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I have an oxbridge first but would not consider these sets. So I find it odd when people talk as if they can even though they have a 2.1 from a standard uni. The problem is that people are very unrealistic about their options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Dalian is right on this one. There are sets where every tenant has an Oxford first, or a Cambridge double first, and a huge, accomplished CV on top of that. At Blackstone or Brick Court an Oxbridge first is a necessary, not a sufficient, condition. (There are tenants at both sets who don't have degrees from Oxbridge, or don't have firsts, but they're few and far between. Their CVs are also astonishing, so unless you happen to be an exceptional case it's unlikely you'll get very far without an Oxbridge first.)
    Yes I totally agree. I've done some research on the sets you mentioned and they seem rediculously competitive. So much so infact that I know that even if I actually got a tenancy I wouldn't be comfortable in that working environment. Hopefully i'm being a bit more realistic by going for something rather different. I'm just keen to canvas advice on here to get a more balanced perspective, so thanks for replying to the thread, because a lot of my friends at Uni seem to be getting swept along on a tidal wave towards applying to top London sets.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.