Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone... would just like some advice on a bit of a predicament.
    I've just started a Sociology degree at Plymouth Uni, but I am absolutely hating it so far. Both the course and the uni were selected through Extra, so were kinda desperate choices. Also I'm feeling that the whole uni experience and student life isn't for me. I've met some really nice people who I get on with, but it doesn't make me want to stay.
    The only problem is that if I drop out, there's not many really good jobs for people without degrees and there aren't many apprenticeships available at the moment... so either way it doesn't look to good!
    Any advice as to what I should maybe do?

(Original post by Gemtern)
    Hey everyone... would just like some advice on a bit of a predicament.
    I've just started a Sociology degree at Plymouth Uni, but I am absolutely hating it so far. Both the course and the uni were selected through Extra, so were kinda desperate choices. Also I'm feeling that the whole uni experience and student life isn't for me. I've met some really nice people who I get on with, but it doesn't make me want to stay.
    The only problem is that if I drop out, there's not many really good jobs for people without degrees and there aren't many apprenticeships available at the moment... so either way it doesn't look to good!
    Any advice as to what I should maybe do?
    Stick at your course for at least 2-3 weeks. Loads of people find freshers strange as everyone goes mad at people away from home for the first time and you're under loads of pressure to have fun whilst retaining a lot of info which is being thrown at you in meetings, handbooks, etc.

After freshers, when the proper routine starts, everyone settles down and then you'll truly be able to tell if the course and uni are for you.

I very nearly droppoed out due to personal circumstances last year but I'm so glad I stayed on and worked through it as uni has made me a more well-rounded and open-minded person and has afforded me the opportunity to meet some incredbile people, be taught by me heroes and study a subject which I adore.

I'm not going to say whether you should stay or go because, utlimately, it's your decision, but I would advise giving it a reasonable amount of time before making such a big decision - if you drop out really early, you might regret it in the future and you want to be able to say (if you decide to leave), 'Uni wasn't for me after all but I gave it my all'.

Don't worry about the jobs thing - sure, the media hypes all that up, especially at the moment but there are jobs out there, particularly for people with flexible schedules and it's better to spend however long job-hunting than doing something you really dislike.

Hope that helps xx

ReputationRep:
    You have a few options. Maybe give it an extra couple of weeks and if you feel its really not for you after that then leave. You could always look into a transfer if you think the same course but different location would help matters.

There may not be amazing jobs for people with no degrees, but everyone has to start somewhere and entry level jobs often don't require much by way of qualifications. If you'd want to be starting a career, by the time your peers leave uni in three years, you could have worked your way up through several promotions in a company or organisation and be in a better position than any graduate.

Then there's always the fun route: temp, save a bit, buy some plane tickets and run away from the problem!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.