Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to start 3 A-levels in Biology, History, and English Literaure all fast-track via Oxford Distance Learning.

I'm not very sure about ODL. I've heard they are not as good as NEC, but it seems only ODL offers fast-track A-level courses.

Can someone tell me if this is doable and I'm not biting off more than I can chew? I have a full-time job as well.

Thanks in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing fast track biology, psychology and classical civilisations and working full time... except i can study at work which is a massive help. ive only been going for two weeks and it's quite difficult so far (esp biology) but doable. ive been doing 6 hours on a bad day, about 16 hours on a good day (although lots of it is reading fun books so that doesnt really count as studying lol). im about 1/3 of the way though my AS levels so it's looking good so far

so yeah it is doable but not easy. also you should understand that if you sign up now, you're not necessarily going to be taking your exams in june. i mean, you can but you get 12 months tutor support from the time you sign up. you have to get all your coursework in within those 12 months, you can enter the exam whenever you like. so for example you would sign up now, you might try for the july 11 exams but if you find it too difficult you can just get all your coursework in by this time next year, then do your exams jan 12 so you have a few months just pure revision.

im with ODL for my a levels, and im doing a couple of gcses with distance learning, there is a massive difference between the two companies. ODL is basically a website with links to course material and an email address for your tutor. distance learning has it's tutors contact you as soon as you start the course, they help you book exam dates, set yourself targets and chase up outstanding work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahinco)
    I am doing fast track biology, psychology and classical civilisations and working full time... except i can study at work which is a massive help. ive only been going for two weeks and it's quite difficult so far (esp biology) but doable. ive been doing 6 hours on a bad day, about 16 hours on a good day (although lots of it is reading fun books so that doesnt really count as studying lol). im about 1/3 of the way though my AS levels so it's looking good so far

so yeah it is doable but not easy. also you should understand that if you sign up now, you're not necessarily going to be taking your exams in june. i mean, you can but you get 12 months tutor support from the time you sign up. you have to get all your coursework in within those 12 months, you can enter the exam whenever you like. so for example you would sign up now, you might try for the july 11 exams but if you find it too difficult you can just get all your coursework in by this time next year, then do your exams jan 12 so you have a few months just pure revision.

im with ODL for my a levels, and im doing a couple of gcses with distance learning, there is a massive difference between the two companies. ODL is basically a website with links to course material and an email address for your tutor. distance learning has it's tutors contact you as soon as you start the course, they help you book exam dates, set yourself targets and chase up outstanding work.
    When you say "distance learning has its tutors contact you as soon as you star thte course" what company are you referring to?

ODL is also a distance learning company isn't it? Afterall "DL" stands for distance learning!

ReputationRep:
    distance learning is the name of the company, i cant remember the website but just google it

odl = ool its like 1 am and im very tired, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahinco)
    distance learning is the name of the company, i cant remember the website but just google it

odl = ool its like 1 am and im very tired, sorry
    I'm still not getting it. You were comparing OOL with ODL?

ODL = www.oxfordcollege.ac
    OOL = http://www.ool.co.uk/ (which has A-level Distance Learning in its title - is that what you mean by "distance learning is the name of the company"?)

Are ODL and OOL the very same company!?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused honestly. Why are there two companies with such similar names?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunchbox)
    I'm so confused honestly. Why are there two companies with such similar names?
    not sure why, ive never thought about it. it doesnt really make a difference though because many of the tutors work with both companies. one of my tutors is doing 4 of my courses across three different companies. its just a matter of deciding how much tutor involvement you want and choosing a company that provides the right level

ReputationRep:
    I am doing three fast-track A-levels (I actually purchased four and maybe will do the AS of the fourth in June) in one year, with the NEC. I'm happy so far.

ReputationRep:
    OOL (Oxford Open Learning)
    ODL (Oxford Distance learning)

They are both seperate companies and in no way affiliated with eachother.
    I got 6 GCSE's with OOL last year and have bought A level Maths and History from them. I have also bought Biology A level from ODL, however, I chose normal, not fast track. You should be able to do it, but you'll have to work hard. :yep:

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    distance-learning-centre.co.uk
    ool.co.uk
    and oxfordcollege.ac

are the companies i was talking about

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.