Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm about to apply to university, after an education that was slightly different to how I imagined it - I sat As levels in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Geography after getting As and Bs in all of them at GCSE. I ended up failing everything except Geography which I actually enjoyed and got a B in. I then left school and went to college at which I started a two year A level equivalent course - an extended diploma in ICT - from which I will get 240 points. So overall, I've got an As in Geography (50 points) and by next summer 240 points in pure ICT. Basically, I'm worried about how my application will be looked at by universities - I emailed a few places over the weekend for some opinions. Kent (requires 280 for the course I'm looking at) replied earlier today saying "...So on that basis we would be pleased to receive your application." Seems pretty hopeful and I probably will apply, however I don't know whether to pitch my other choices high or low as if places ignore my As I'm stuck at 240 and will have to lower my options considerably, otherwise I could end up with nothing! I just have no idea what to think really, and the scare of ending up with zero offers would be pretty horrific as I'm already a year behind. I should add that I don't mind lowering my choices either, I'd just rather know before applying!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'd email all the universities you'd consider going to (over 240 or not) and see what they say as there's no point in wasting a choice on soemwhere that won't accept you so you may as well 'test the water' first.

There's no way we can tell you where will accept you so I reckon emailing is your best bet Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I thought of doing that, and I have already sent three out, but to be honest I get the feeling they'll just all say "We'll consider you", which could really mean that I do meet the requirements but really they don't give two sh!ts about me haha! :P Thanks though, good point - I'll email the other few I'm looking at tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    How realistic you are being could depend a lot upon the popularity of the course you are applying for; if there is a lot of competition it could really stifle your chances, particularly if people apply with higher A-level grades.

What course is it? Do you know the applicants to places ratio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    How realistic you are being could depend a lot upon the popularity of the course you are applying for; if there is a lot of competition it could really stifle your chances, particularly if people apply with higher A-level grades.

What course is it? Do you know the applicants to places ratio?
    I'm hoping to do Information Technology, essentially the less popular version of Computer Science but its perfect for me. I have no idea about the applicants to places ratio, nor where to find that kind of information? I didn't notice it on the websites or anything... maybe I'll find it through the timesonline page. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Hi all,

I'm about to apply to university, after an education that was slightly different to how I imagined it - I sat As levels in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Geography after getting As and Bs in all of them at GCSE. I ended up failing everything except Geography which I actually enjoyed and got a B in. I then left school and went to college at which I started a two year A level equivalent course - an extended diploma in ICT - from which I will get 240 points. So overall, I've got an As in Geography (50 points) and by next summer 240 points in pure ICT. Basically, I'm worried about how my application will be looked at by universities - I emailed a few places over the weekend for some opinions. Kent (requires 280 for the course I'm looking at) replied earlier today saying "...So on that basis we would be pleased to receive your application." Seems pretty hopeful and I probably will apply, however I don't know whether to pitch my other choices high or low as if places ignore my As I'm stuck at 240 and will have to lower my options considerably, otherwise I could end up with nothing! I just have no idea what to think really, and the scare of ending up with zero offers would be pretty horrific as I'm already a year behind. I should add that I don't mind lowering my choices either, I'd just rather know before applying!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    The course descriptions on UCAS and the uni websites should state whether they make tariff based offers and if so what proportion of the points requirement must be met from A level or equivalent qualifications. I've looked at the Kent entry for ICT on UCAS and it states 260 points including a minimum of 3 A levels (I assume your current course is equivalent to this) - which is consistent with their response to your email. You'll have the 240 from your diploma plus the 50 from the AS, exceeding their minimum requirements comfortably. Essentially you are looking for courses with a points requirement of 290 or less, or which 240 or less can come from A level equivalent study. Plenty of those around!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.