Germany Watch

King_Blumpkins
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
My dad is going to Germany soonish and he asked me if I would like any gifts brought back. What are some coolish presents that I should ask for? Was going to go with the usual stuff: German sausage, German Chocolate, etc. But I figured that would be plain.
BillyM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cheap smokes
dbmag9
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bavarian sweet mustard (bayerischer süßer Senf) is pretty good, if you like tasty (non-spicy) mustard. He can probably buy it in the airport on the way back if he forgets, too.
King_Blumpkins
Rep:
?
I don't smoke
King_Blumpkins
Rep:
?
And as a fan of Languages, any good German books I should ask him for?
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dickmanns and a stain
Deutsch_Beth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
See if he can get you any current German films there, cheaper than getting them off amazon.
dbmag9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DayneD89)
Dickmanns and a stain
I assume you mean a Stein? Not as funny a recommendation that way, though.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mercedes Benz
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you like sweets, get some Brocken. They're a bit like Werther's Originals but with an absolutely gorgeous chewy/liquid centre. Some of the most delicious sweets I've ever had in my entire life! :sogood: :sogood: :sogood:
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Jaeger sauce to go with the German sausage .You get it in packets from either Lidl or Aldi over there, sadly the instructions are all in German and I"m not fluent.
TheRealDarthVader
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lewis Holtby.
SatanIsAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by King_Blumpkins)
And as a fan of Languages, any good German books I should ask him for?
Mein Kampf
mightyduck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
Lewis Holtby.
He´s smart enough not to play under Capello, I think.
abbii
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
mozartkugeln
chocolate sweet things
TheRealDarthVader
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mightyduck)
He´s smart enough not to play under Capello, I think.

You would certainly think so, but we can only hope. Personally, as much as he loves his English heritage, I believe he owes it to Germany. He went to German schools and has played for German clubs under German coaches. It wouldn't be fair for England to reap the benefits of the finished article after all that simply because his dad is English and served in the army.
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I second the comment about brocken. They're absolutely heavenly, providing you like toffee flavour of course.
King_Blumpkins
Rep:
?
(Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
Mein Kampf

My dad would probably get VERY strange looks, and isn't it banned in Germany? IIRC?

I was thinking along the lines of decent translation book or something by a classic German Author.
King_Blumpkins
Rep:
?
(Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
I second the comment about brocken. They're absolutely heavenly, providing you like toffee flavour of course.

I'll need a picture, my dad will probably have absoloutely no idea what he's looking for and will be thinking i've accidently spelled broken wrong.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by King_Blumpkins)
I'll need a picture, my dad will probably have absoloutely no idea what he's looking for and will be thinking i've accidently spelled broken wrong.
I can't find an image of them unfortunately. They're in big bags (like the big bags of sweets here), found in supermarkets etc., with 'Brocken' written on the packet. Just ask your dad to have a look in some supermarkets or other large shops that might sell sweets, and emphasise that it's 'Brocken' and not 'broken'. Ask him to ask an employee to help, if he can't find them. They're seriously, seriously worth the trouble! Just so incredibly more-ish and delicious. I love the texture inside as well.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (958)
90.63%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (99)
9.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise