Turn on thread page Beta

Is my new housemate taking advantage? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I should say I'm his new housemate since he has lived at property 2 years and I moved into the spare room in house.

LL warned me he was a really messy person but he is to extremes, the living room table was coated in tobacco, coffee stains, floor hadnt been mopped in months, was cobwebs about.

I spent ages cleaning and that isnt the thing I am coming to but what it was , is that a friend was meant to be coming round but had a problem with his car and I ordered a take away fro us knowing he would pay me back.

I decided to share it with the new housemate and put down a £7 take away in front of him and told him to have a bit and he ended up taking so much over like a hour that I had one bite!

Then the next day he knew I still had a chicken tikka kebab and asked me if he could have some! and I said it was all I had to last me for that day since I was skint and he said ok.

When we were sitting down on sofa playing PS3 he went into kitchen to get some coffee and I asked if he could bring me my Coca Cola bottle and he brought it in, then poured out a glass!

And he keeps making roll ups on living room table and not clearing up the mess.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't tolerate this kind of behaviour and uncleanliness in the house. I think you need to confront him and tell him what's on your mind instead of bottling it up and posting it here. Get it out in the open and make it clear you're unhappy with his behaviour and the general state of the house etc.

People can only 'take advantage of you' IF YOU LET them, so put a stop to it now before it goes too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    I couldn't tolerate this kind of behaviour and uncleanliness in the house. I think you need to confront him and tell him what's on your mind instead of bottling it up and posting it here. Get it out in the open and make it clear you're unhappy with his behaviour and the general state of the house etc.
    Well have only lived there 2 days so maybe it will get better but considering landlord said how messy guy is I doubt it will, and went into guys room(with his permission to ask him something) and his entire possessions were just chucked on ground so much so that there was no visable carpet and loads of dust around yet his massive wardrobe(it goes from each side of bed to ceiling and over the bed was empty!

He seems like a friendly guy just really bone idle.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should shoot him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryouga)
    Well have only lived there 2 days so maybe it will get better but considering landlord said how messy guy is I doubt it will, and went into guys room(with his permission to ask him something) and his entire possessions were just chucked on ground so much so that there was no visable carpet and loads of dust around yet his massive wardrobe(it goes from each side of bed to ceiling and over the bed was empty!
    Why not just keep the communal areas such as living room, kitchen, bathroom etc clean then and tell him you would prefer these areas to be clean and tidy? If he wants to keep his bedroom a mess then that's his choice; the rest of the house can still be kept tidy.

What kind of impression is it going to make if you invite girls back to the house, if it's dirty and messy? Tell him this if he gets funny with you!

I've living in shared accommodation before with messy people so I know what it's like and I've had to confront people before; fortunately now I have my own place.

(Original post by Ryouga)
    He seems like a friendly guy just really bone idle.
    Typical student/young lad then?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thats messed up. Confront him about it, he obviously can't read your mind, so its better if you tell him that and make actions already instead of waiting for him to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    Why not just keep the communal areas such as living room, kitchen, bathroom etc clean then and tell him you would prefer these areas to be clean and tidy? If he wants to keep his bedroom a mess then that's his choice; the rest of the house can still be kept tidy.
    Typical student/young lad then?
    Well I have lived in a few student places over the years so yes students/young lads are lazy but even some of the laziest and messiest have done things like wash their cups or plates sometimes, this guy when he drinks a coffee or eats food just takes the crockery back in his room still dirty and brings it out dirty again and puts more food or drink on.

Its only a 2 bedroom house in a housing estate so relatively small so easy to clean in fact my bedroom is bigger than the living room and kitchen combined and the living room is pretty standard sized.

I mean this guy is bone idle in the fact he just spends hours in his room just pretty much staring at walls, doesnt leave the house bar to go to uni then straight back, doesnt even like walking to the corner shop and just does nothing, also in fact on the 3rd night I have been here he hasnt even washed or had a shower or changed his clothes!

ReputationRep:
    As much as I hate mess, you were forewarned. Eating most of your food and helping himself to Coke was a bit out of order though. Should've probably said something about that.

ReputationRep:
    Haha sounds like you got a right catch there, have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Love Dog)
    As much as I hate mess, you were forewarned. Eating most of your food and helping himself to Coke was a bit out of order though. Should've probably said something about that.
    Yeah it was my fault for wanting somewhere that is dirt cheap(like 1/3 cheaper than other local properties) and being a large room quite close to transport links than paying for quality.

I did say to him when I did the cleaning as he admitted he was a messy person that I wouldnt pester him about the mess but it would be nice to just do some basic things like put his plates in the sink when he is finished and I will clean them and put his ashtray on the fireplace when he goes to his room.

Yet he doesnt even do that.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him that then, all we can do is tell you to tell him.

I'm surprised that the landlord knows how dirty the house was and they didn't tell him to clean up, at least for a new tenant moving in.

ReputationRep:
    This guys a LAD he can't help it, he's just a womanizing, beer drinking young scallywag, who thinks its a womens duty to clean up... just talk to him about it, he'll probably really enjoy the banter

ReputationRep:
    Well, can't do much about the mess and such and you did move into his place (at least, he was there first).

Could always have a friendly chat and just say you'd love to share your food and stuff and you don't mean to be unfriendly but you don't have much money and the moment so he shouldn't take offense if you don't offer him stuff.

That way you've not accused him of stealing your food or taking advantage but you have said you don't want him taking it. And seriously, don't offer him stuff. Poor lad will probably get confused.

ReputationRep:
    Nah he's just being friendly and relaxed with you. He clearly has instantly warmed to you and just wants to be a flatmate you are comfortable with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.