Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When was the last timeyou went on a 'date'? Do people still go on 'dates' these days? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    I got to know my boyfriend over the internet.
    How can you get to know someone over the internet? That's ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    if we weren't on the same campus, then maybe you can be all skeptical about it.

Anyway, I only date friends ... so usually I'd know a bunch about the person already by the time they come under consideration as a potential partner.

ReputationRep:
    You talk to them, the same way you'd get to know someone in real life.

ReputationRep:
    I'd 'go at it' with her any day, she's ******* sexy.
    Jeezzz I stand corrected OP.... She really is ******* sexy...!!

Just had a look at her profile pic... Now lets oggle s'more eh?

ReputationRep:
    I think cinema dates are the WORST kind of dates because you can't talk and get to know each other. I can't believe that people actually think 'taking a girl to the cinema' is a good date or that it will get them laid. Are people that brainwashed that they think the cinema is a good place for a date?
    Nothing wrong with cinema; it's actually a good "first date" idea BECAUSE you don't get much chance to talk. You meet up before the film, maybe have some dinner or something so you can talk; but many people find it hard to keep a conversation going for several hours with somebody new, so the film after dinner lets you continue the date without the potential awkward silence when you don't have anything else to talk about. You can always pick up the conversation again after the film, and the film also allows for further conversation topics.

Also, scary films have added benefits. Obvious free contact in the form of fear cuddles, for one, and it also gives you the excuse to walk them home or whatever, which makes you look dead nice. It's also not very expensive, easy to get to, and there's not an awful lot that can go wrong...

Don't knock cinema, it is a good idea, especially for a first date, or if you simply want something laid back and easy. Also, it's not all about getting laid straight away; relationships are good too.

As for your original question - as you've probably already guessed - yes, I, and many other people, go on "dates." Also, yes, everyone I know calls them dates.

ReputationRep:
    I was curious, in this day and age who goes on a 'date'? For me, I think the concept of 'going on a date' with someone is just so formal and forced, almost like a ******** ritual we go through or something.

Personally, I MEET UP with girls and 'get to know them' (maybe over a cup of coffee), I never refer to it as a 'date'....though it's quite clear why we're both there....I just think referring to it as a 'date' seems cheesy and Americanised.

So when was the last time you went on 'date', where was it to, and how did it go?
    so true. the last one i went on was with my first proper gf when i first asked her out. 2 years ago. that was the only ever "date" i've actually been on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Who the **** cares
    Better a thread on the diminishing values of formal courtship than something about how tall men are, hm?

Coffee's the closest thing I've done to a date. And that was in... hmm, about mid-2008, I think.

I suppose you might say I'm so rubbish with women that I never get as far as a real date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ck88)
    Personally, a date means dinner with someone or someone inviting me for an activity. Coffee or lunch is too informal for it to mean anything to me because I do that with close friends but don't really do one-on-one dinners with guy friends.
    I've never been on a proper date and as cheesy and 'American' as it may seem I would love to actually be asked out on one!

loads of dudes date me. just carry yourself a bit classy and look like your gonna make a dude pay for it, then he will take you to all kinds of nice things. it helps if your out of uni age though, at uni, you just hook up nastily in peoples dorms and in clubs and parties. but after uni more dudes take you for dinner, to the theatre, to the cinema, to ornamental gardens. if a dude spends money it means he wants to buy it.
    most dudes think they can buy a woman. so i say milk it. enjoy the poems, songs, jewellery, perfume and chocolate. but dont shag him. until he marries you. if he dumps you you have a load more stuff you didnt have to buy for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    this is a silly thread.

yeah, date is americanised etc. etc.
    there's no ritual, just take a girl out, eg 'hey do you wanna go out to eat saturday night?'
    not 'hey lets go on a date'
    same principle, just different words imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Who the **** cares
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Never been on a date, but I'd like to go on one. It seems like a really good way to be with the girl you like, not to mention it can be fun.

(Original post by Phil2202)
    Nothing wrong with cinema; it's actually a good "first date" idea BECAUSE you don't get much chance to talk. You meet up before the film, maybe have some dinner or something so you can talk; but many people find it hard to keep a conversation going for several hours with somebody new, so the film after dinner lets you continue the date without the potential awkward silence when you don't have anything else to talk about. You can always pick up the conversation again after the film, and the film also allows for further conversation topics.

Also, scary films have added benefits. Obvious free contact in the form of fear cuddles, for one, and it also gives you the excuse to walk them home or whatever, which makes you look dead nice. It's also not very expensive, easy to get to, and there's not an awful lot that can go wrong...

Don't knock cinema, it is a good idea, especially for a first date, or if you simply want something laid back and easy. Also, it's not all about getting laid straight away; relationships are good too.

As for your original question - as you've probably already guessed - yes, I, and many other people, go on "dates." Also, yes, everyone I know calls them dates.
    I agree all of this! The cinema is like the traditional place to take a girl on a first date to. Horror movies work wonders.

(Original post by Tootles)
    Coffee's the closest thing I've done to a date. And that was in... hmm, about mid-2008, I think.

I suppose you might say I'm so rubbish with women that I never get as far as a real date.
    Don't worry about it.

If I ever go on a date, then coffee is mandatory. :P

ReputationRep:
    The last time I accepted one was last year...I don't like them. All this 'getting to know you' stuff.
    The film was good though.

ReputationRep:
    Last date I had was with a woman who was far more intelligent and well-read than me.

She kept making references to authors and psychologists I hadn't heard of. I nodded and smiled.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the word "date"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha5692)
    I went on one last night and the night before. I was asked to the cinema on Saturday night and we went to see Scott Pilgrim which was total rubbish. Last night we went to a Latin dance party!! Last Tuesday I was asked out by a different guy who took me to see Resident Evil! It was wicked because it was the first time I'd seen something in 3D. Yes, I still go on dates.
    I would never class cinema as a date - well not a first date anyway, surely the idea of a date is gauge the other person. This is done best through communication - not sitting in a dark room with lots of other people staring at a giant TV.

A date should be publicaly intimate i.e dinner or slightly more informal i.e coffee. Something that you can sit around, joke, laugh, trade stories, enjoy each others company etc etc. And get to learn the person you are with.

(Original post by strawberry)
    I got to know my boyfriend over the internet. We'd meet up in between classes for lunch or whatever, but it was never dress up, nervous, flowers, date stuff. That was our first date as a couple.
    now i could never imagine doing it that way. Showing with flowers and in full formal wear, id feel like i was taking her to a prom rather than a date.

no its not, with the advent of skype, msn, yahoo chat etc etc getting to know someone over the internet is entirely possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    I would never class cinema as a date - well not a first date anyway, surely the idea of a date is gauge the other person. This is done best through communication - not sitting in a dark room with lots of other people staring at a giant TV.

A date should be publicaly intimate i.e dinner or slightly more informal i.e coffee. Something that you can sit around, joke, laugh, trade stories, enjoy each others company etc etc. And get to learn the person you are with.

yah i agree dude, i dont get why cimas are a good date. you need to TALK and spend TIME. i guess its just the back-row-shag appeal that people like cinema dates in which case i argue, get a room!

ReputationRep:
    I have been on plenty of faux dates in the last 18 months or so. Some because I was accompnying a friend on a double date, and for other reasons too.

But in fact the last time I went on a real genuine date with someone was about two years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I go on dates. It's way better than just 'hanging around in their room' like most of the people I know seem to do. I love eating out and doing stuff and even though I might not call it a date, it is still a date.

Dating is way more fun and exciting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    The last time I accepted one was last year...I don't like them. All this 'getting to know you' stuff.
    The film was good though.
    You don't like getting to know a guy...

Guess you get messed around a lot then.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.