Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When was the last timeyou went on a 'date'? Do people still go on 'dates' these days? watch

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's just a matter of what you call it? I'd never ask someone out on 'a date' but if I met up with one for dinner, drinks or whatever - someone I didn't know well, and there were clearly some romantic undertones - then I'd happily acknowledge I'd been on a date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Surely it's just a matter of what you call it? I'd never ask someone out on 'a date' but if I met up with one for dinner, drinks or whatever - someone I didn't know well, and there were clearly some romantic undertones - then I'd happily acknowledge I'd been on a date.
    You speekz da truf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Despite you being a Tory, I'll rep this xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    You don't like getting to know a guy...

Guess you get messed around a lot then.
    Not really. Why? Not really sure what you mean by 'messed around'!
    I like getting to know people if I find them interesting! I meant, if someone I don't really care about asks me out, I'm not going to be that bothered about finding out all about them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Not really. Why? Not really sure what you mean by 'messed around'!
    I like getting to know people if I find them interesting! I meant, if someone I don't really care about asks me out, I'm not going to be that bothered about finding out all about them...
    How do you ever meet anyone then...

You can only go on a date with them when you've known them for ages? Is that what you're saying?

You'd rule out getting to know someone on a date even if you'd met them briefly and they seemed interesting and attractive? No wonder you haven't been on many dates but I guess you have a lot of friends at least...

ReputationRep:
    I suppose when my boyfriend and I first started seeing each other we went on "dates"- to Pizza Express, the theatre, castles (we're cool :cool:) etc. We still do all that sort of stuff but I never really think of it as a date- it's just hanging out with my boyfriend.
    Ohhh, except for our anniversary we got all dressed up and went somewhere nice, which was definitely a date.
    I never went on a date with my ex-girlfriend though. We were fairly young and broke so we just went to the park xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    How do you ever meet anyone then...

You can only go on a date with them when you've known them for ages? Is that what you're saying?

You'd rule out getting to know someone on a date even if you'd met them briefly and they seemed interesting and attractive? No wonder you haven't been on many dates but I guess you have a lot of friends at least...

No, usually I like to know the person a little first before going out on my own with them. If a random person comes up to me in the street and starts talking to me and then asks me out then I'd say no. I'd say yes to being friends though.

I could go on dates...but I'm not interested in having a boyfriend at the moment, I'd rather have more friends. Must be strange for some people to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    now i could never imagine doing it that way. Showing with flowers and in full formal wear, id feel like i was taking her to a prom rather than a date.
    who said anything about full formal wear? I wore a day dress and he put a shirt on over jeans.

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my girlfriend almost 5 months and I've never turned up with flowers... it just seems a bit excessive and cliched. That's not to say I don't take her out and treat her lots though. Maybe get flowers for 6 months

ReputationRep:
    I never know what is a date and what isn't :sigh: I wish people would make it clearer!
    I did get set up on a double date recently, though. I thought it was just gunna be me and my friend, but she brought along her boyfriend AND a guy for me. I was NOT happy at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    I never went on a date with my ex-girlfriend though. We were fairly young and broke so we just went to the park xD
    Hang on, you're telling me that the park doesn't count as a date?!?!?

Damn, I need to up my game =p

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    So if you were single, how would you get to know somebody if you don't do the whole "first date, get to know each other" thing? You've contradicted yourself there! You can't get to know someone if you 'refuse to go on a date and get to know them'.

:rofl: what?

I met my boyfriend at a uni party, then I met up with him in between classes to chat etc, then he asked me out, then we went to the cinema for our 'first date' as it were. but we'd already known each other for a couple of weeks having met up between classes and talked online

ReputationRep:
    I've never done the classic "date" of going for a drink or meal with someone, would just find it boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    loads of dudes date me. just carry yourself a bit classy and look like your gonna make a dude pay for it, then he will take you to all kinds of nice things. it helps if your out of uni age though, at uni, you just hook up nastily in peoples dorms and in clubs and parties. but after uni more dudes take you for dinner, to the theatre, to the cinema, to ornamental gardens. if a dude spends money it means he wants to buy it.
    most dudes think they can buy a woman. so i say milk it. enjoy the poems, songs, jewellery, perfume and chocolate. but dont shag him. until he marries you. if he dumps you you have a load more stuff you didnt have to buy for yourself!
    None of those games or manipulative tactics would work on me. I never spend money on a girl BEFORE I've had sex with her or BEFORE I've got to know her. I meet up with girls for coffee so that if it doesn't work out, I don't lose any money on the whole thing.

There are a lot of girls who try to take advantage of men in the way you just talked about. But a woman can only do this stuff to a man if he is naive and doesn't know what's going on.

Personally, I'm upfront with all women and I tell them that their games don't work on me. I tell them what I'm looking for, and if they don't want the same thing as I do then I cut them loose before wasting my time and money.

Manipulating men for your own advantage by trying to get as many gifts/favours/incentives etc without putting out is just plain wrong.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of days ago, but would hardly class it as a 'date'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    Are you bi-sexual then?

ReputationRep:
    I hate dates!

ReputationRep:
    Who cares really?

I'm not sure whether I've been on a date or not. If you go out with someone who's already your boyfriend... is it still a "date"?
    I wouldn't say I went on dates when I was just getting to know my boyfriend either. We met up and spent time together, but never called anything a date. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people really date anymore? Like before me and my boyfriend got together, we went out to christmas shopping in Manchester which I guess is a date, but we didn't do the traditional going out for tea date or anything. He took me out for Valentines day though

ReputationRep:
    I used to go out places with my (now ex) boyfriend back in 2007/2008, where we went cinema, shopping and restaurants usually. I dunno if they really counted as "dates" though, since I did already know him as a good friend a year before we got together. I guess maybe most people would just call it hanging with your boyfriend, I dunno :dontknow:. I've never had any other dates though :sigh:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.