Turn on thread page Beta

Professor fined £155 for disembarking one train stop early watch

ReputationRep:
    I get off the train early all the time - just nip out to have a fag. I've never had a problem, nor when getting off at earlier stops to meet mates before carrying on - I thought it was fine as if I went one stop and it cost me £1, and to go from there to the next stop it cost another £1, then by paying £2 from stop 1 I have effectively bought both tickets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    What's morality got to do with it? They're a private business (or a PPP or whatever). That means they naturally will use revenue management if possible. It's not in their financial interests to permit people to get off the train early, like this professor did, and so they will prevent him from doing so.
    I don't see how it is in their financial interests. Even if that weird logic concerning longer train journies costing less held, Birmingham to Darlington costs less than Birmingham to Durham. Getting off early gave them the full fee and made the trains a little crowded.

As for morality not having anything to do with it, when you're given state sanctioned monopoly power and subsidies, at least attempting to be an ethical (and remotely competent) business does seem rather like a good thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...top-early.html

Ridiculous. Petty. Jobsworths.
    Ok I do have a hatred for most things related to British public transport, but if you had ever worked with customers you would totally understand why this happened :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Right for all of you that are going on about the fares and shorter distances should mean paying less...

Just gone onto the National Rail Website. Picked the 25th October so I could see advance fares.

The Great Western train that will arrive in London Paddington at 15:32 (no railcard).
    From Cardiff Central it will cost £21.
    From Swansea it will cost £19.50
    Journey from Cardiff takes 2 hours and 7 minutes.
    Journey from Swansea takes 3 hours and 4 minutes.

And a journey from London to Cardiff or Swansea on the same day as above:
    Departing London Paddington at 13:45 :
    2 hours and 1 minute to Cardiff Central costs £21.
    2 hours and 58 minutes to Swansea is £19.50

It's exactly the same train. There are 3 other stops between Cardiff and Swansea.

Just because it's a shorter train journey to get to London from Cardiff, does not mean they charge less (as above proves.) Cardiff is a larger, and more important city, than Swansea. There's going to be more commuters etc going from Cardiff than from Swansea. Cardiff has a higher demand hence why they charge more even though it's a shorter journey.

I agree that a £155 fine is a bit ridiculous but then again he had brought a first-class ticket and the fines are based on twice the value of your ticket (or something) so that explains why it's so high. But with the above situation, say you got off at Cardiff with a London-Swansea ticket you would be fined at least £20 (I think.)

Although what I really want to know is why is the fact he's a professor made out to be so bloody important?. If something like this had happened to me I would be burnt alive by the Daily Fail...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joker370)
    I get off the train early all the time - just nip out to have a fag.
    For a smoke? Expect to face a fine yourself sooner or later.

Not actually allowed to smoke in many public areas, particularly railway stations. Maybe a second fine for littering (as I'm assuming you don't have a portable ashtray).

ReputationRep:
    The ticket regulations are just crazy. In many countries public transport is very flexible, and a lot cheaper than the UK. He should never have been fined.

ReputationRep:
    Capitalism, it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as stupid as his fine was it is in the regulations for buying advanced tickets that you must stay to the specific train stated and stay to the stops, yes it does seem unfair because he didnt use the product he bought in its entirity but there are clear terms and conditions on the website.
    To make it short, yes its stupid but its the rules

ReputationRep:
    Daily Fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    I don't care what it said on the terms and conditions, they aren't justified by any sane reasoning. And it wasn't made that clear if it was a part of the small print.
    This, can't believe people are saying it's HIS fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    What's morality got to do with it? They're a private business (or a PPP or whatever). That means they naturally will use revenue management if possible. It's not in their financial interests to permit people to get off the train early, like this professor did, and so they will prevent him from doing so.

So why was the fine waived?

You can't go around pissing consumers off - they will vote with their feet.

ReputationRep:
    I hope this Professor has friends in his University's Department of Law. It would give me great joy if he was able to make fools of the company that treated him in this way by outwitting them in court. Railways should be there to attract passengers, not humiliate them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    I hope this Professor has friends in his University's Department of Law. It would give me great joy if he was able to make fools of the company that treated him in this way by outwitting them in court. Railways should be there to attract passengers, not humiliate them.
    It's not going to court. The fine had been waived (even before the Daily Mail wrote that article).

Rail companies are there to make money. They are private companies.

What is needed is a far more transparent system and greater flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    For a smoke? Expect to face a fine yourself sooner or later.

Not actually allowed to smoke in many public areas, particularly railway stations. Maybe a second fine for littering (as I'm assuming you don't have a portable ashtray).
    Oh don't worry I know I have to leave the station and stand away from all the no smoking signs near the doors they don't make it easy these days. You're right about being careful of the littering thing though! I know someone whose mum was fined £200!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, on one hand I think he should have been more precise as to where he was going and then bought the ticket accordingly, however on the other hand I think a fine such as that is over the top and unncessary.

ReputationRep:
    On my train line I always do this. Example.
    Stations A - B - C -D - E

I'll buy a return ticket from D to A, then often get off at C, as it's much cheaper than two singles and is a shorter journey anyway, can't see why they'd care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    On my train line I always do this. Example.
    Stations A - B - C -D - E

I'll buy a return ticket from D to A, then often get off at C, as it's much cheaper than two singles and is a shorter journey anyway, can't see why they'd care.
    because you are travelling short, its against their terms and therefore illegal.

People get their tickets checked when they leave train stations?

ReputationRep:
    I remember 2 years ago on the train from Liverpool to Scarborough, train left 3 minutes early and so station staff wrote me a note on their headed paper and stamped it and put the stations number to ring if there was a problem, and the transport police did the same thing.

Got on train and conductor was very rude and said I was travelling with an invalid ticket and refused to look at letters and said such things dont exist and I was trying forgeries! I had to pay like £50 for a standard ticket which was a lot as I was on benefits at the time, I remember going to Scarborough station and explaining to staff and they apologised and admitted the conductor must of been having a bad day as they could of just charged me the difference in a standard price which was about £20 not for a new ticket.

Then about 2 months later got on at a unmanned station and the conductor walked past me as it was a busy train ignoring me saying excuse me etc, then about 10 minutes later inspector came round and was deliberatly speaking loud and saying I could get fined and arrested for travelling without a ticket, demanded to know my name and address and was a right """" trying to say the conductor asked everyone for their tickets and I didnt try to stop him, and I even said to him why doesnt he check CCTV and he started to shout quite loudly at me saying I as scum etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I ******* hate the train companies and their employees in this country.

Shame, because trains SHOULD be such a brilliant way to travel.
    Indeed! I love travelling by train in France and Germany; in the UK I'd rather take the car than deal with bolshy guards, late, rubbish trains and a ridiculous ticket pricing structure (perhaps structure is not the best word, rather "ticket pricing chaos").

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.