Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I am currently a second-year undergrad economics student, and am choosing my elective courses. I am also planning to apply to LSE's MSc Economics and Cambridge's MPhil Economics.

I have one elective course left to choose, and I am debating between taking a course in Principles of Finance or a course in Labour Economics. I understand that Finance is very different from "mainstream" economics, so I'm wondering if my chances of admission to LSE and Cambridge's masters programmes would be affected if I took Principles of Finance, instead of Labour Economics. Both courses aren't heavy on maths, and I'm not worried because my core micro/macro courses are mathematical.

Any advice, especially from those who've applied to LSE or Cambridge Masters in Economics? Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I didn't apply to LSE or Cambridge, but I suggest doing the one you think you will enjoy most (or the easiest one!) as you are likely to get a better score, thus a better classification, thus a better chance

ReputationRep:
    thanks! anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passthepython)
    Dear all,

I am currently a second-year undergrad economics student, and am choosing my elective courses. I am also planning to apply to LSE's MSc Economics and Cambridge's MPhil Economics.

I have one elective course left to choose, and I am debating between taking a course in Principles of Finance or a course in Labour Economics. I understand that Finance is very different from "mainstream" economics, so I'm wondering if my chances of admission to LSE and Cambridge's masters programmes would be affected if I took Principles of Finance, instead of Labour Economics. Both courses aren't heavy on maths, and I'm not worried because my core micro/macro courses are mathematical.

Any advice, especially from those who've applied to LSE or Cambridge Masters in Economics? Thanks!
    Tbh I don't think they really care.

What matters is the standard of the course, so therefore what university you are doing it at. Principles of Finance would probably be fine if you're at a decent university.

Having said that you really can't go wrong with modules like maths for economics and extra econometrics.

You must remember that economics isn't all about maths though: in first year at Cambridge you do a module which isn't at all mathematical, there are also political economy options in the MPhil. UCL does an Msc in economic policymaking which is basically applied economics and is not particularly mathematical, but is still a masters in economics in its own right and it charges the same as for its Msc in economics.

So go for it if you think you'll enjoy the module and don't worry about it not being mathematical enough. If you really want to increase your chances then take maths for economics and modules like it. They're actually fairly easy.

So good luck and don't worry. Principles of Finance shouldn't disadvantage you at all.

ReputationRep:
    Take the most technical courses you can (even if you say you're not worried about mathematical content, you really can never have enough for these admissions people - academic economics has a huge mathematical inferiority complex), otherwise take the one you think you'll do better in.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.