Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I went in to pay the deposit on my RTW flights yesterday. We'd spoken to a travel consultant before and she'd drawn us up an itenary. When we paid our £20 deposit she let me use a £50 discount voucher I got off the website. THEN after we left the shop she emailed so say actually I couldn't use it as I hadn't shown it to her when I started my booking. This has really irritated me for two reasons - first because I don't see how making an enquiry can count as actually starting the booking (they also want us to pay the full 2 grand for our flights by thursday because apparently our booking started 10 days ago with our enqiry???) and secondly it's misrepresentation because she's suddenly added £50 to the price.

Sorry for the rant and if it's confusing. Has anyone else had a bad experience with STA? This obvs isnt too bad in itself but I'm worried it's an example of STA being money hungry and not being honest.

Did everyone else have to pay money within 10 days of starting their booking? I understand paying a deposit but I really don't want to pay in full - we're not going until the end of march.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like she's putting pressure on you to pay, be careful because I'm sure a lot of representatives are on commision. That's a lot to ask I feel. I personally don't like these companies prefer to do it myself and it's often cheaper to do so.

ReputationRep:
    STA are a bit temperamental imo.
    Their service is great if you want to amend flights, but a frikkin nightmare if you try and change accomadation plans.
    Try speaking to a different representative, they might be able to give you some better help.

ReputationRep:
    STA are a nightmare. I had a massive problem with my flights, basically where they tried to charge me £500 extra. Customer service is terrible as tbh they are all travellers so just try and get the job done quick.

Im not using them again.

ReputationRep:
    I used them and was pleased with the service. However, I wouldn't have been pleased if I had received the service you did! Go in and complain. Complain and complain and keep complaining till you get your way!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses guys! Have used Flight Centre who seem to be nice and sensible and boring (unlike the too-cool-for-you STA hippies) and quoted us less than STA!

You can practically see the comission building up in the STA consultants eyes as your flights add up! So glad my ***** of a travel agent there is gonna lose ours. HA HA

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.