Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Would you be able to let me know your opinions on the New Residences at Aston, A block or B Block, I work for the residences and would be very interested to know what you think!
    Thank you for your time!
    Claire

ReputationRep:
    Identify yourself and say what you're going to do with this information. Spy!

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to know students opinions on the new residences and how they are finding living here...

ReputationRep:
    Too hot. Turn the heating down.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Claire.

They are not bad all things considered. I live in A1 flat 19, and am reasonably happy with it so far - the kitchen in particular is well thought out and takes into consideration the needs of 7 people sharing. However, the rooms are rather small. at 5mx2.5m, once you factor in the ensuite, desk and wardrobe, there is little actual space in the rooms. At the nearby Jennens' court, you can get a 23.8 Sqm room for £105 per week, so that is a slight gripe about value for money, but you have to weigh this against the convenience of living on campus.

My other concern is the overall price of accommodation once the towers are gone. I believe I am right in thinking that once the whole project is completed, that Lakeside will be the lowest cost halls at Aston, and the current price of these is still well above the standard maintenance loan amount. Does Aston have any plans to offer lower cost on-campus rooms? Admittedly as a final year this doesn't really impact me, but I am concerned that the uni may end up forcing people off campus with ever higher prices.

ReputationRep:
    OH and btw, I apologise for being the idiot in a1 flr3 rm19 who locked himself out of his room earlier. won't happen again I promise!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Thanks for your comment! Does anybody have anything to add, I would like to know what you think of our New Build!

ReputationRep:
    Hello Claire,

The new builds seem very nice so far. However I agree with the comment above that it'd be good if the heating could be turned down a notch, atleast until it is a little colder outside!

Is it true that after this week there will be a fee if you lock yourself out of your room? So far I haven't forgotten it but I no doubt will do before the end of the year so it'd be nice if everyone got their rooms unlocked for free a few times before being charged!

Also is there any information anywhere about the telephones in the rooms? How do you dial other rooms? Is it possible to dial external numbers? Can people from outside call into my room?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Also your staff are *****es. We had some crazy menopausal wench shouting at us because we had a massive party in the kitchen and left a bit of a mess.

ReputationRep:
    Block B1 floor 9 none of our extracters above the ovens work on our floor And one of my flatmates has holes in her ceiling..! Apart from that, not bad
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It would be nice if the phones in the rooms actually worked. We were told Wednesday, Thursday or Friday but they still don't work. Also I find it a bit annoying/wasteful that I can't have the desk light on independently of the main light. Also, the we don't have wifi working in our kitchen and the flat next door seems to.

ReputationRep:
    Since my previous post I found the webpage for the telephones http://voip/ (obviously this only works from the university :P). The instructions there obviously don't work as the phones themselves are still broken. Additionally they provide you with an 0844 premium rate number rather than an 01/02/03 number which many can call for free!

The wireless in our kitchen is also broken. When we arrived its light was on but it didn't appear on a network scan. Now it isn't even on at all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We don't even seem to have a wireless in our kitchen :s

ReputationRep:
    Kitchen heating needs to be turned off - but please leave the room heating as it is.

ReputationRep:
    We just turned the radiator off in our kitchen, have you tried that already blatchcorn?

ReputationRep:
    - No wifi module, next doors one hasen't worked at all
    - it's hot enough to cook eggs in the lift areas,
    - cleaning staff ***** like hell at times (they are cleaning uni student accomodation, did they really think they aren't gonna have to clean up after atleast one party).
    - Also it would have been nice for the desks to have a cable hole so desktops don't have to sit on top, but it's no biggie.
    - Kitcken layout's alright save the lack of space for dirty dishes.
    - Also no information provided on how to work the phones.

also when one lift in A2 is "out of service" (VIP'd by the cleaning staff?), the other lift will not come to any floor near where the vip'd lift is. Yeah, running down 5 flights of stairs so as not to miss lectures is fun.

ReputationRep:
    Minor things...

- the heat isn't very consistent in B2... I roast in some corridors, cold in others, roast in my room (until I got a fan)
    - a wiring hole in the desks would definitely help
    - Agreed with the phones but I use my mobile/skype all the time anyways
    - the laundry machines are pricey and the dryers aren't very effective (even after cleaning the lint filter)
    - the doors seem to bang shut quite often, can be loud late at night
    - why is there no ashtrays outside the new build or litter bins for that matter? Its quite messy outside... some additional seating would be nice (smoker over here)

ReputationRep:
    - It's SO hot, all the time!

- Absolutely zero wireless so far (dying because I can't use my iPad)

- No drawers in the 7-bedroom flats at all, just shelves. There's shelves within the wardrobe, but I'd prefer a drawer for my drawers :p:

- The postcodes are all a mess. Trying to order Tesco/Pizza Hut/Dominos home delivery is a nightmare EVERY time.

- The security gates AND front doors to the buildings are broken. Strangers can't actually get into the flats, but it doesn't stop them from putting 6000 flyers under the door!

- On the other hand, the flats, and individual rooms are OVER-secure. It is TOO easy to lock yourself out of your bedroom. AND when you do so, you've got to walk all the way over to lakeside (who bearing in mind, cannot lock themselves out, would make sense to put an office in the new build), and often suffer abuse at the hands of the staff, who clearly don't agree with the touch-card system either!

- Some fire doors slam, some don't.

- The cleaning staff have SERIOUS mental health issues.

- The bathrooms are the closest I'm going to get to being in a space shuttle.

I'm done
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pinkforpresident)

- No drawers in the 7-bedroom flats at all, just shelves. There's shelves within the wardrobe, but I'd prefer a drawer for my drawers :p:

- The security gates AND front doors to the buildings are broken. Strangers can't actually get into the flats, but it doesn't stop them from putting 6000 flyers under the door!

- On the other hand, the flats, and individual rooms are OVER-secure. It is TOO easy to lock yourself out of your bedroom. AND when you do so, you've got to walk all the way over to lakeside (who bearing in mind, cannot lock themselves out, would make sense to put an office in the new build), and often suffer abuse at the hands of the staff, who clearly don't agree with the touch-card system either!
    Yeah, the lack of drawers is a bit annoying. Was expecting drawers as part of the desk rather than shelves. I agree about everything being in Lakeside. Laundry cards/parcels/keys are all over there and there's least people in Lakeside.

I can't believe the number of flyers. There's enough of them clogging up the letter boxes without them coming under the door as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkforpresident)
    - It's SO hot, all the time!

- The bathrooms are the closest I'm going to get to being in a space shuttle.
    Agreed. Its a little odd when your taller than 6ft and you need to sit on an angle

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.