Turn on thread page Beta

People turning up late to lectures..... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by </Tom>)
    :rolleyes:
    I can't really see the point in you rolling your eyes tbh. I think it was appropriate that I said I moved, considering I wrote what my thoughts were at that particular time :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    I can't really see the point in you rolling your eyes tbh. I think it was appropriate that I said I moved, considering I wrote what my thoughts were at that particular time :confused:
    You shouldn't have moved. Be a **** to people you deem to be dicks. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by </Tom>)
    You shouldn't have moved. Be a **** to people you deem to be dicks. :woo:
    That's not the British way!!!11

You think prick, say tut.

ReputationRep:
    Do they piss you off as much as they do me?

I've had a few lectures so far, and already it is really pissing me off.
    I was in a lecture this morning when people were turning up like 20 minutes late. Some lassie said to me "can I get in" (meaning to a seat, I was on the end), I thought no you bloody well can't, you turn up late, make a racket, and then ask me to move, all because you can't be bothered to get your arse in on time. But I moved for her.

This mornings lecture wasn't exactly important, just an introduction but that's not the point. What if it had of been and I had been distracted because some muppet couldn't get in on time? I understand that sometimes it can't be helped that people arrive late but still, it irritates me.

It's ridiculous that some people turn up 20 to 30 minutes late. IMO people should only be allowed in late 5 minutes after the start time. After that, tough luck.

Anybody else with me on this?

I hate people that insist upon sitting at the end of an isle when there's plenty spare seats further down about as much as I hate people turning up late to lectures. Whether it's on public transport, in the cinema or in a lecture theatre, it's immature and just leads to more disruption.

And yeah, those people that take it upon themselves to ask millions of questions in lectures are pretty ******* annoying too.

Goddamn ******* humans.

ReputationRep:
    Only just started so not had that problem yet. As someone before me said, our lecture theatres are only half full so they wouldn't really disrupt much anyway.

I do think your reaction is a bit OTT. Surely getting worked up over a latecomer is going to distract you more than just moving aside quietly. As for not wanting be boxed in, maybe you can do something to help that problem. Is it claustrophobia? Or a fear of being squashed if there was a fire or something? If you can get over your own inner fears then people arriving in late for lectures and asking you to move over won't bother you as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I hate people that insist upon sitting at the end of an isle when there's plenty spare seats further down about as much as I hate people turning up late to lectures. Whether it's on public transport, in the cinema or in a lecture theatre, it's immature and just leads to more disruption.

And yeah, those people that take it upon themselves to ask millions of questions in lectures are pretty ******* annoying too.
    I've already explained why I sit on the end. I don't like being boxed in, i'm prone to panic attacks and being boxed in makes me feel anxious. Nothing would disrupt a lecture more than someone having a panic attack. So it's easier all round for me to sit on the end. Other people for all your know may have the same problem.

I don't really see how sitting on the end of a row is immature tbh. In the cinema, lecture or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. I have to admit that I have been late a few times, but not 20/30 mins, and have to say it is embarrassing if you gain attention off of some students and lecturers - gives off a few glances, not to mention the wrong impression. Sometimes it could be down to feasible excuses, or sheer laziness, but it does get a bit annoying when you are trying to observe everything your lecturer is saying. I'm the same with closed areas. I either sit at the end of a row, or sometimes the first seat into a row. I hate being in the centre, as it makes me feel a little claustrophoebic, and is a little uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inseriousity.)
    Only just started so not had that problem yet. As someone before me said, our lecture theatres are only half full so they wouldn't really disrupt much anyway.

I do think your reaction is a bit OTT. Surely getting worked up over a latecomer is going to distract you more than just moving aside quietly. As for not wanting be boxed in, maybe you can do something to help that problem. Is it claustrophobia? Or a fear of being squashed if there was a fire or something? If you can get over your own inner fears then people arriving in late for lectures and asking you to move over won't bother you as much.
    I don't get worked over the first one or two people. But there were like 15-20 people late. I do understand people can't always be on time.

I'm not sure what it is. I feel panicky if I don't have direct access to an exit if I wanted one. I don't mind in say the cinema because the rows are fairly wide. But in lectures, you really are boxed in. I can't really explain why I don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inseriousity.)
    I do think your reaction is a bit OTT. Surely getting worked up over a latecomer is going to distract you more than just moving aside quietly.
    It's never just one latecomer though. There is always a constant trickle of people coming in for a good half hour after the lecture started.

If I was a lecturer, I would lock the door. Anyone who is late can **** off.

ReputationRep:
    My sixth-form College works on a no tolerance basis. Which means that if you are late, you don't get in, full stop. I know there are different circumstances at university but from experience here, I think people will learn to show up on time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    It's never just one latecomer though. There is always a constant trickle of people coming in for a good half hour after the lecture started.

If I was a lecturer, I would lock the door. Anyone who is late can **** off.
    That's what one of my lecturers used to do. And if they dared knock on the door after it was locked he'd fly into a rage :woo:

Very scary guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    That's what one of my lecturers used to do. And if they dared knock on the door after it was locked he'd fly into a rage :woo:

Very scary guy.
    I used to know one that would put an open bin full of rubbish infront of the door that would be knocked over by the latecomers who then would have to pick it all up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwamiOdoom)
    My sixth-form College works on a no tolerance basis. Which means that if you are late, you don't get in, full stop. I know there are different circumstances at university but from experience here, I think people will learn to show up on time.
    That would be good if it was initiated into universities as well. One of my lecturers done that once when a group emerged the hall about 20 minutes into his lecture, so sometimes it's not tolerated when people aren't taking their work seriously. I guess some people are more laid back about their learning because there is a lot of flexibility in uni and terms of education, but those who take it more seriously tend to gain better results, so look at it that way .

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it's not cool, but some people can't help being late... It's not because they don't care enough or are lazy, it's just time management skills.. Some people don't 'feel' time passing as much as others

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bother me at all when people show up late, they tend to just shuffle in without bothering anyone, grab a seat and get on with it. There's no point in somebody missing out on every bit of the information in the lecture because their train was a few minutes late, just so the person they have to squeeze past to get in a seat doesn't miss about ten seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I used to know one that would put an open bin full of rubbish infront of the door that would be knocked over by the latecomers who then would have to pick it all up.
    That's a good idea which should be implemented everywhere :yep:

ReputationRep:
    For me it's only a fuss if 1) I was one of those people to arrive very late, which I find really embarrassing and 2) if the person who arrives late is like 20/30 minutes late, because it's normally disruptive as opposed to those who quietly get on with it. It's just really pointless as they've missed out more than half of the lecture. If it's only 5/10 minutes, I think that's more of an exception, as people normally are just settling into the lecture and so there's no real distractions any way.

ReputationRep:
    Your right. It might well happen to me one day. But if I turned up late, i'd just sit on the steps rather than disturb people. I also wouldn't make a racket. Even if i did decide to ask someone to move, I would say please, followed by a thank you.

This is something that pisses me off so much. Nobody has any manners. I'd be embarrassed to say "I need to get in", or "Can I get in" (this one said in an aggressive manner), without saying please, or a thank you.
    You're either going to have to get over the 'must sit at end of row' thing or the 'pissed off with people for wanting past me' thing. They cannot coesxist without you losing your mind by the end of the year.

And the person who spoke aggressively - maybe they're just as annoyed with people who sit on the end of rows as you are with people who show up late. And you're both overreacting.

ReputationRep:
    Do they piss you off as much as they do me?

I've had a few lectures so far, and already it is really pissing me off.
    I was in a lecture this morning when people were turning up like 20 minutes late. Some lassie said to me "can I get in" (meaning to a seat, I was on the end), I thought no you bloody well can't, you turn up late, make a racket, and then ask me to move, all because you can't be bothered to get your arse in on time. But I moved for her.

This mornings lecture wasn't exactly important, just an introduction but that's not the point. What if it had of been and I had been distracted because some muppet couldn't get in on time? I understand that sometimes it can't be helped that people arrive late but still, it irritates me.

It's ridiculous that some people turn up 20 to 30 minutes late. IMO people should only be allowed in late 5 minutes after the start time. After that, tough luck.

Anybody else with me on this?
    Either troll, or, you shouldn't sit on the end when there's seats in the middle, it's called common courtesy. Get some.

You sound like an awfully selfish individual. It's only distracting because you've sat in the most awkward place blocking off the rest of the seats. Use your brain next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    Well maybe if you turned up earlier then you could have bagged yourself a seat in the middle.
    But it's not the cinema. Seats on the end are better.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.