Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been to around 7, and im not a freaky little loner so i actually sit near other people, thus.. there are no seats i have to move for.
    Plus end seats are the best, unless you in rush to get out after.

Some people can;t help being late.
    I've been late, wanna know why?
    I had the time of my life at clubs the night before.
    Do you even go out? granted during the later months and years then it doesnt matter.. but i don't care if im late because i had a late night out, i'd prefer to have the night out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    oh get over yourself. if you hadn't left spaces when you sat down then there wouldn't be a space that they'd have to push past for.

and if you cant handle a 30 second disruption to a lecture. you have no hope at university let alone life
    If you can't turn up on time for a job then you have no hope of a career.

Not to mention that you could not get that job in the first place because you turn up late for your exams get no degree and would be late for the job interview anyway.

I'm sorry that was exaggerated but that is your logic from the other side of the coin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaken_earth)
    I agree, it's not cool, but some people can't help being late... It's not because they don't care enough or are lazy, it's just time management skills.. Some people don't 'feel' time passing as much as others
    How are they going to learn for their jobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora.)
    You're either going to have to get over the 'must sit at end of row' thing or the 'pissed off with people for wanting past me' thing. They cannot coesxist without you losing your mind by the end of the year.

And the person who spoke aggressively - maybe they're just as annoyed with people who sit on the end of rows as you are with people who show up late. And you're both overreacting.
    So you think because maybe I pissed them off, that automatically means they shouldn't be polite? Bus drivers irritate me quite a bit, either they are rude to me, or other people. Doesn't stop me saying thank you when they give me my ticket or when I get off the bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Either troll, or, you shouldn't sit on the end when there's seats in the middle, it's called common courtesy. Get some.

You sound like an awfully selfish individual. It's only distracting because you've sat in the most awkward place blocking off the rest of the seats. Use your brain next time.
    Jesus ******* christ. Not wanting to be rude, but can you read? I've already explained around 4 times why I sit on the end.

Your right, of course, i'm such a selfish person. All because I decide to sit on the end of a row TO AVOID BEING ANXIOUS AND HAVING PANIC ATTACKS.

Your right, I must be selfish, for wanting people to use their damn manners when they ask if they can get past. How disrespectful of me. The people that continuously turn up late and disrupt others and refuse to say please or thank you, are the selfish ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    I've been to around 7, and im not a freaky little loner so i actually sit near other people, thus.. there are no seats i have to move for.
    Plus end seats are the best, unless you in rush to get out after.

Some people can;t help being late.
    I've been late, wanna know why?
    I had the time of my life at clubs the night before.
    Do you even go out? granted during the later months and years then it doesnt matter.. but i don't care if im late because i had a late night out, i'd prefer to have the night out.
    I do go out actually. But I also know how to set an alarm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    I do go out actually. But I also know how to set an alarm.
    I wish at was in your lectures and knew who you are. Would love to see the look on your face if/when you turn up late...

you know and everyone knows, you will turn up late a few times. Heck, you even will miss a few lectures... It's just part of being at uni - chill out

ReputationRep:
    I was late this morning for my first lecture of the year :o:. There's still freshers who haven't had the pain of 9am lectures yet so still think they can run around screaming and shouting and keeping everybody up so I didn't get to sleep until 5:30am. So I was just under 5 minutes late for my 9am lecture this morning. So embarrassing especially as it was a massive lecture with about 400 students as it was a college-wide lecture rather than just a school or even just a subject one :sigh:

Yeah, the only lectures I might be a few minutes late to are the 9am ones. But I only have one 9am a week so I just need to hope that the freshers will calm down soon (yes I do have earplugs but they don't block out all the noise or have any effect when there's people running about upstairs because that thumping actually moves my bed)

ReputationRep:
    Jesus ******* christ. Not wanting to be rude, but can you read? I've already explained around 4 times why I sit on the end.

Your right, of course, i'm such a selfish person. All because I decide to sit on the end of a row TO AVOID BEING ANXIOUS AND HAVING PANIC ATTACKS.

Your right, I must be selfish, for wanting people to use their damn manners when they ask if they can get past. How disrespectful of me. The people that continuously turn up late and disrupt others and refuse to say please or thank you, are the selfish ones.
    Have you considered seeing someone, possibly trying on medication if panic attacks are such a major issue for you?

I'm always late at my Tuesday and Wednesday comparative lit lectures because I have to run from one side of the campus to the other in 5 minutes. And, yes, it does annoys me when I can't find a seat fast, quietly sit down and stop disturbing the lecture because despite the fact that there are islands of empty seats in the middle, people only sit at the end of the row.

ReputationRep:
    Look you don't know why everyone is late. Some people have things to do before lectures (ie medical appointments or something).. One of my friends who drives to uni every day got stuck for 30mins in a traffic jam due to a crash on the motorway.. and they wouldn't let her in, despite the fact that it wasn't her fault- so she travelled for an hour for absolutely nothing.

ReputationRep:
    So you think because maybe I pissed them off, that automatically means they shouldn't be polite? Bus drivers irritate me quite a bit, either they are rude to me, or other people. Doesn't stop me saying thank you when they give me my ticket or when I get off the bus.
    No, I don't think being pissed off with you means they shouldn't polite, but quite often pissed off people aren't. Especially when they're also wound up and stressed out and embarrassed because they've come in late, and they're just desperate to sit down somewhere so everyone will stop looking at them. It's just another one of those things.

Still haven't been late yet, and I'm not sure I could convince myself to go in if I was, for exactly this reason...

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you got to a proper uni then?

ReputationRep:
    I've got a seminar this year that finishes just as one of my lectures start, so I will always be about 5-10 minutes late...

Don't always assume that it's because of laziness OP.

ReputationRep:
    Don't sit on the end of rows. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Its just a fact that you will always get people coming late to lectures OP, a lot may have legitimate reasons for being late like the bus was late or their alarm didnt go off or they forgot something and had to run back quickly for it, just dont complain about it and try to ignore it, its for what, 30 seconds max someone will walk up sit down and get out paper and pen, how difficult is it for you to get up off your ass and move down a few seats?

ReputationRep:
    I was nearly always late to my lectures. It's OK though, most of the time my lecturers were late as well :p: Lecturer in my last year never turned up until 13 minutes past the hour - no matter if it was in the same building as his office, or cross campus! I never asked people to move if I was late, if there were no seats at the back on the edges of rows I just sat on the stairs...I normally ended up dashing out the house with 20 minutes to get to campus carrying 2 slices of bread to eat on the way as I didn't have time to toast it...how I miss being a student <3

ReputationRep:
    Do they piss you off as much as they do me?

I've had a few lectures so far, and already it is really pissing me off.
    I was in a lecture this morning when people were turning up like 20 minutes late. Some lassie said to me "can I get in" (meaning to a seat, I was on the end), I thought no you bloody well can't, you turn up late, make a racket, and then ask me to move, all because you can't be bothered to get your arse in on time. But I moved for her.

This mornings lecture wasn't exactly important, just an introduction but that's not the point. What if it had of been and I had been distracted because some muppet couldn't get in on time? I understand that sometimes it can't be helped that people arrive late but still, it irritates me.

It's ridiculous that some people turn up 20 to 30 minutes late. IMO people should only be allowed in late 5 minutes after the start time. After that, tough luck.

Anybody else with me on this?
    No what pisses me off more are people who sit on the end and when you walk up just look at you, late or early. Why don't you just sit in the middle? Do you have some irrational fear that the building will collapse and you need an early exit?

I don't mind if people are late as long as they're quiet about it. Some people come in a sit at the nearest seat, that's fine. Others walk around taking their sorry time and picking out some place at the top of the creaky ass stairs.

People who are constantly late do bug me a little, in that if I can get up nearly every day for a lecture surely you can too. Being late a couple of times isn't so bad a thing.

ReputationRep:
    If you would have asked me this yesterday, I would have been with you. But I was late myself today, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    I've got a seminar this year that finishes just as one of my lectures start, so I will always be about 5-10 minutes late...

Don't always assume that it's because of laziness OP.
    I had this last year. Really hoping it doesn't happen this year.
    One of my lectures would finish and I'd then need to sprint across campus, uphill as well. I always managed to get in just as the lecturer dimmed the lights. Thank god, because the light would only have glistened off my shiny, sweaty forehead.

ReputationRep:
    They're not as bad as people who talk all the way through lectures, they should be shot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.