Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    On your thread it says that your a medicine re-app. Have you done the UKCAT? How are/did you find(ing) the prep?
    yep I have my UKCAT on monday ... preparing for it has been ok just doing loads of practice atm ... my worst section is QR .. hate the timing but its easier in the actual test ... DA is dodgy since getting one wrong can lose you loads of marks ... AR is just practice and remembering loads of patterns so that if they come up in the ukcat your sorted ... VR is really learning how to scan efficiently
    have you done yours ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    yep I have my UKCAT on monday ... preparing for it has been ok just doing loads of practice atm ... my worst section is QR .. hate the timing but its easier in the actual test ... DA is dodgy since getting one wrong can lose you loads of marks ... AR is just practice and remembering loads of patterns so that if they come up in the ukcat your sorted ... VR is really learning how to scan efficiently
    have you done yours ?
    I've been practising here and there but nothing big. I keep procrastinating so i'm very worried. I'm a re-app too. Mine's on the 7th OCT..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    I've been practising here and there but nothing big. I keep procrastinating so i'm very worried. I'm a re-app too. Mine's on the 7th OCT..
    you got agesss .. lol i kept procrastinating so i do a whole test then watch The IT crowd ... works so far .. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carter BSc)
    Well if you were as much of a smart arse as you believe you are, then reading the books would tell you that you must avoid becoming an over-rehearsed robot
    Whatever, equate well prepared for 'over-rehearsed' if it makes you feel less insecure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Whatever, equate well prepared for 'over-rehearsed' if it makes you feel less insecure.
    GodspeedGhenna, out of interest, are you a hopeful medic?

ReputationRep:
    Just trying to head up some advice for you, there's some things you can't be prepared for, I had a question last year "What do you think of nuclear power." I just thought WTF??!! If you go in so prepared and there's a question thrown up that you haven't rehearsed for, it is going to knock you back more so. I mean yeah fail to prepare, prepare to fail, I get that, but even in the profession we're all seeking you can't prepare for everything. Just don't go in being able to rehearse every answer off the top of your head in one long stream of pre-scripted (albeit maybe great) words, when they ask a question take a few seconds, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Just trying to head up some advice for you, there's some things you can't be prepared for, I had a question last year "What do you think of nuclear power." I just thought WTF??!! If you go in so prepared and there's a question thrown up that you haven't rehearsed for, it is going to knock you back more so. I mean yeah fail to prepare, prepare to fail, I get that, but even in the profession we're all seeking you can't prepare for everything. Just don't go in being able to rehearse every answer off the top of your head in one long stream of pre-scripted (albeit maybe great) words, when they ask a question take a few seconds, then go for it.
    did u nail it?? what did u say? did u get the offer?

ReputationRep:
    lool. i'd do almost anything to meet u in real life.

it's just so cute how u [almost] never have anything positive say on ur posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    did u nail it?? what did u say? did u get the offer?
    For starters alarm bells rang in my head like "Oh crap."

No didn't approach it too well, my preparation for interviews in the months previous were all medicine related, or related to my Biomedicine degree which I was doing at the time, or work experience, you know all the typical answers to questions you think will come up... So i basically started commenting by saying it's dangerous yes, but it is useful, it can be used in medicine for targeting cancer so it's useful but dangerous etc., all this medicine related stuff. So in perfect honesty I would have looked at me as an interviewer thinking he's a bit one dimensional.

But the interviewers were very nice and things and pressed me for answers they wanted, and asked "would you live near a nuclear power plant?" I was like "no, as Chernobyl springs to mind, and look what happened there, although I do see the uses of it."

So I didn't answer too well in my opinion, just tried to balance the arguments for and against it, which is what the books I had advised to do with similar questions to that.

Nope didn't get an offer, so applications to uni's will be going out again soon...

ReputationRep:
    Talk to doctors. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    lool. i'd do almost anything to meet u in real life.

it's just so cute how u [almost] never have anything positive say on ur posts
    :perv:

ReputationRep:
    :perv:
    :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    I'm reapplying as well. are you on a gap year now? what have you got planned for this year? are you doing any volunteering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    GodspeedGhenna, out of interest, are you a hopeful medic?
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    nice conversation above...but what books do you recommend to help with interview preparation?????
    ISC Medical School Interviews Book I bought it and its GOOD

ReputationRep:
    Why are people so surprised at the prospect of preparing for interviews ahead of time? To be honest, even completing your work experience/volunteering and UCAS should have triggered your thoughts about the types of skills you should be trying to build and display. This, and researching what type of student the particular medical school is looking to attract, thinking about the skills required of a medical doctor/how you would apply your experiences to try and demonstrate that you have that sort of potential, etc. Note that none of this equates to rote learning 'desirable' answers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reapplying as well. are you on a gap year now? what have you got planned for this year? are you doing any volunteering?
    Yay we can do this together

I've been stressing out, and it's unnecessary :/
    Yeah i'm taking a gap year, i'll be jetting off to the big apple in the next few weeks so i'm excited about that; I need to clear my head for a while.

These are the things I hope to do:
    1) Resit chemisty mods so I can hopefully obtain an A/B grade. I got ACC :/
    2) Work as a care assistant/work in retail or something. I
    it will be good on the CV/PS and I'll be earning money to drive and to save up for uni
    3) Continue pursuing my interests in drama and art (keep sketching/film auditions) and see where that take me
    4) Volunteer at a special needs school (whenever i'm not working)
    5) Travel to America and Nigeria and experience life there..

You? don't freat, this time next year you'll be thinking 'why was I so worried'

I had a question last year "What do you think of nuclear power." I just thought WTF??!!
    That would have been a gift for me. I used to live near Sellafield and had a part-time job in the visitor's centre :p: I think I got lucky in my interviews - they were uniform in their predictability. I would still advise preparation though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Yay we can do this together

I've been stressing out, and it's unnecessary :/
    Yeah i'm taking a gap year, i'll be jetting off to the big apple in the next few weeks so i'm excited about that; I need to clear my head for a while.

These are the things I hope to do:
    1) Resit chemisty mods so I can hopefully obtain an A/B grade. I got ACC :/
    2) Work as a care assistant/work in retail or something. I
    it will be good on the CV/PS and I'll be earning money to drive and to save up for uni
    3) Continue pursuing my interests in drama and art (keep sketching/film auditions) and see where that take me
    4) Volunteer at a special needs school (whenever i'm not working)
    5) Travel to America and Nigeria and experience life there..

You? don't freat, this time next year you'll be thinking 'why was I so worried'
    wow impressive list! New York! Are you going travelling or getting some work experience there? Nigeria would be so cool as well.

I am going to:

1) volunteering in a day centre for the elderly
    2) volunteering in a care home
    3) volunteering in a hospital
    4) volunteering as a helper in rainbows (girlguiding)
    5) volunteering in a residential place for diabled people

6) looking for part time jobs to save up for uni
    7) maybe start streetdancing again which I used to do
    8) go to the gym!
    9) learn to drive

ReputationRep:
    wow impressive list! New York! Are you going travelling or getting some work experience there? Nigeria would be so cool as well.

I am going to:

1) volunteering in a day centre for the elderly
    2) volunteering in a care home
    3) volunteering in a hospital
    4) volunteering as a helper in rainbows (girlguiding)
    5) volunteering in a residential place for diabled people

6) looking for part time jobs to save up for uni
    7) maybe start streetdancing again which I used to do
    8) go to the gym!
    9) learn to drive
    wow that's an awesome list. With that much experience medical schools would be stupid not to let you on. Keep to it yeah! I'd like to travel, relax and experience the culture. I might also volunteer there, I have family over there so they could give me connections.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.