Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i understand, for example, Fe (pure) has Fe positive ions, but do ALL the electrons on the outer shell move out?

and do these electrons that move out (delocalised) attract to the positive Fe ions?

thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ilyking)
    i understand, for example, Fe (pure) has Fe positive ions, but do ALL the electrons on the outer shell move out?

and do these electrons that move out (delocalised) attract to the positive Fe ions?

thanks
    only the valence electrons...

ReputationRep:
    To clarify, only the electrons in the outermost shell become delocalised. For example, with aluminium, which has the electron configuration [Ne] 3s2 3p1, the three electrons in the outer shell of each Al atom will become delocalised. There are electrostatic forces of attraction between the Al3+ ions and the 'sea' of delocalised electrons.

Generally, the greater the ratio of electrons to ions, the stronger the attraction and thus the higher the boiling point for metals in the same period of the periodic table.

If you have to draw out a diagram in an exam question, which you should always do if given the opportunity, make sure that the number of electrons you draw is correct for the number of metal ions you draw. For example, if you draw 6 aluminium ions, you will have to draw 3x6=18 electrons, as each aluminium ion gives 3 electrons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)

thanks
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the simplest definition of metallic bonding is:

A (giant) lattice of positively charged ions, in a pool/sea of delocalised electrons!

Sorry if this was not what you need

ReputationRep:
    If you still don't understand there are a load of videos on youtube that are very useful i,e:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 6, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.