Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi. I'm a third year student studying Computer Science. I've done the assessment and they have concluded I have dyslexia. I went to a DSA centre and after a couple of days I have received my recommendations.
    The report of my dyslexia exam concludes that I have dyslexia. The report after my meeting with the DSA advisor states that I have been recommended a PC HDD and 17" LCD colour monitor, keyboard, mouse.
    Although I am extremely grateful for the equipment recommended, I was just wondering is there any chance I can possibly appeal and try to get a laptop.

The reasons for me wanting one is because (although the provided dictaphone will enable me to record lectures) I think it will be extremely useful in lectures (final year) and believe it will mean I can easily travel with with the device. As mentioned to my DSA adviser my handwriting is not always legible, and sometimes I come home, not knowing what my own notes say.
    Also as there are a lot of applications including cisco virtualisation applications? I would like to get something with a bit of processing power. I also need applications for designing as I intend to do modules including movie editing, photo editing etc...That way I can use the application as well as record the results. If I get a laptop then I will be able to work in all of my free periods more effectively, as the general queues for the computers during free periods are quite large. Also, by having a laptop all of my notes will be able for me to use whenever I want, should I need to refer back.

I personally believe a laptop is going to be more beneficial. I understand that say their budget is £500 you can get a more powerful PC, but I would rather have something I can use whenever I want, and mainly because of portability issues I believe a laptop is more beneficial.

Please can you advice me on whether I should appeal, and if so how? Any advise will be much appreciated. Also is there any chance an OSX appliance can be recommended as opposed to Windows or am I just pushing my luck a little too much here?? Oh and I just thought I'd point out, no note taker has been recommended.

Thank you

You don't need to appeal. You are perfectly at liberty to specify a lap top and pay the difference in cost yourself. You can forget OSX though. That's chancing your arm too far.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.