Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm a third year student studying Computer Science. I've done the assessment and they have concluded I have dyslexia. I went to a DSA centre and after a couple of days I have received my recommendations.
    The report of my dyslexia exam concludes that I have dyslexia. The report after my meeting with the DSA advisor states that I have been recommended a PC HDD and 17" LCD colour monitor, keyboard, mouse.
    Although I am extremely grateful for the equipment recommended, I was just wondering is there any chance I can possibly appeal and try to get a laptop.

The reasons for me wanting one is because (although the provided dictaphone will enable me to record lectures) I think it will be extremely useful in lectures (final year) and believe it will mean I can easily travel with with the device. As mentioned to my DSA adviser my handwriting is not always legible, and sometimes I come home, not knowing what my own notes say.
    Also as there are a lot of applications including cisco virtualisation applications? I would like to get something with a bit of processing power. I also need applications for designing as I intend to do modules including movie editing, photo editing etc...That way I can use the application as well as record the results. If I get a laptop then I will be able to work in all of my free periods more effectively, as the general queues for the computers during free periods are quite large. Also, by having a laptop all of my notes will be able for me to use whenever I want, should I need to refer back.

I personally believe a laptop is going to be more beneficial. I understand that say their budget is £500 you can get a more powerful PC, but I would rather have something I can use whenever I want, and mainly because of portability issues I believe a laptop is more beneficial.

Please can you advice me on whether I should appeal, and if so how? Any advise will be much appreciated. Also is there any chance an OSX appliance can be recommended as opposed to Windows or am I just pushing my luck a little too much here?? Oh and I just thought I'd point out, no note taker has been recommended.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to appeal. You are perfectly at liberty to specify a lap top and pay the difference in cost yourself. You can forget OSX though. That's chancing your arm too far.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.