Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment!

So I have just started uni, moved into my house (did't get halls !) on the 19th September, and at first I was really homesick, just wanted to be back home with family, friends and my girlfriend! But since then I have adjusted to uni life and am enjoying going out and meeting new people!

Problem is my course; I have already had a week of lessons and to be honest, it is feeling like both a waste of time and money! My lecturer seems unfocused and goes on about stuff which has NOTHING to do with my course and the course itself doesn't seem right to me, it's not what I expected, nor want to do. At the end of the day, I have come to uni to get a degree and if it isn't going well or not what I want, I don't see much point in spending alot of money and time on it!

In addition a couple of my friends, both at this uni and others, have told me they feel the same, one of my friends is already dropping out this Saturday as he hates it so much! I also think that by going back home I could get myself a decent job with good money and promotion prospects, without all the debt!

I am gunna give it another two weeks before I make a decision, but are there other people out there who feel the same? What do people think as well?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Give it time, if you feel the same in two weeks then see a course supervisor.

ReputationRep:
    At least give it a couple more weeks. Out of curiosity what happens in terms of the financial side of it if you drop out of uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhiscock)

So I have just started uni, moved into my house (did't get halls !) on the 19th September, and at first I was really homesick, just wanted to be back home with family, friends and my girlfriend! But since then I have adjusted to uni life and am enjoying going out and meeting new people!

Problem is my course; I have already had a week of lessons and to be honest, it is feeling like both a waste of time and money! My lecturer seems unfocused and goes on about stuff which has NOTHING to do with my course and the course itself doesn't seem right to me, it's not what I expected, nor want to do. At the end of the day, I have come to uni to get a degree and if it isn't going well or not what I want, I don't see much point in spending alot of money and time on it!

In addition a couple of my friends, both at this uni and others, have told me they feel the same, one of my friends is already dropping out this Saturday as he hates it so much! I also think that by going back home I could get myself a decent job with good money and promotion prospects, without all the debt!

I am gunna give it another two weeks before I make a decision, but are there other people out there who feel the same? What do people think as well?

Cheers!
    You knew this well already.

ReputationRep:
    If you are all settled in now and it's just the course that is bothering you then why not see if there are any other courses that appeal to you and see if you can switch? However if you don't find one I'd advise talking to your course leader and to the uni's finance team to see what happens when you drop out.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that I am properly settled in, I still would much prefer to be at home, but it is better than the first few days. Do you think there will be much problems in terms of finance? I have the first term of rent due on 18th Oct, but as long as I'm out by then I can't see there being too many issues?

ReputationRep:
    You still need to pay tuition fees up until at least Christmas, and whatever you agreed in your rent contract; you may have to pay rent for a bit even when you are not there. However, I have dropped out before, and do not believe all of the promises of 'jobs with good prospects' and all of that, without a degree you will never get as far, and certainly not as fast. My advice would be to see a course rep asap, and see what your options are re: switching courses. Perhaps ask them to see the whole years modules too, and what the assignments will be, it could just be that it is getting off to a slow and boring start! There may be other courses you can transfer to at this point, or at the end of the first year. It will not be as easy next time to get settled and choose a course you like and feel settled. Seriously, I would do EVERYTHING you can not to drop out, join some clubs too to keep you busy, and you will see that the course itself (in first year anyway), although important- is really just a small snippet of Uni life. Where are you studying, and what is your course?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me that you're just trying to find an excuse to go back home, but don't have the guts to admit to yourself that you're feeling homesick.

Either way, talk to a course counsellor / advisor presto, see what he thinks. He's probably dealt with people like you more than a message board on TSR has.

ReputationRep:
    Course/University? Someone might be able to say what happens.

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out last year due to the course. First of all i would suggest speaking to your personal tutor for some advice. It maybe as it is still early on that you could swap to a different course still at the uni. If you feel this isnt for you and you really dont want to stay then drop out.
    Ive just started at another uni again this year, from the start things feel so much more positive on the course!
    People think it is so easy dropping out but it is actually just as hard to admit you chose to do the wrong thing than to just carry on and be miserable, doing something you don't enjoy. I think it is important to enjoy the social aspect of uni, but if you don't wanna do the course i dont believe you will do as well as you could- therefore it is a waste of time!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Only *****es quit early. Are you a *****?

Stick it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhiscock)

Cheers!
    It's so refreshing to see somebody that wants to drop out of uni because of their course instead of a ****** Fresher's Week!

I'd go with your instinct. If you can already see that the course isn't panning out as you thought it would then it would be best to duck out now and make alternative arrangements than stay longer and have to pay various fees for the inconvenience!

ReputationRep:
    Hello I was once in a similar predicament back when I was in university.
    Hated my course and wasn't really enjoying the experience so I dropped out and it was the best thing I ever did.
    It is much harder to admit that you made a mistake in your course and to leave than to stick at something you don't enjoy just to please your parents / lecturers / people on TSR.
    Saying that I think you should give it time - maybe another day or two.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.