Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is going on and off the pill really that bad? watch

My boyfriend visiting next month doesn't want me to go on the pill just for that (next visit may be a while away) as he consulted someone who said going on and off it a lot can muck up your body etc. Apparently most people, once you start, stay on it for quite a while?

Is it really that bad to do this one-off pill thing...?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say yes, it takes most people's bodies the first packet at least to get used to it and get over the side effects- took mine 6 weeks, im on microgynon- so every time you go on it to skip your period you'd risk the (high) chance of mood swings, weight gain and breakthrough bleeding, the latter of which would negate the point of you going on it in the first place!!

The periods of time when you're off it your cycle will be mucked up, as will your hormones. I personally don't think it's worth it but then I took 3 packets in a row last summer and then had breakthrough bleeding every day for the next three months, so I'm a big believer in it mucking up your body!

Maybe go get it for this time and maybe ask the nurse while you're there if it's a medical risk, but I think you'd definitely have crappy side effects a lot of the time...

ReputationRep:
    Also I'm still on it after last summer, but definitely taking it completely regularly. That's why a lot of people stay on it once they're used to it- there's no point switching if your body's finally used to it!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just get an implant fitted? It's there for 3 years and you don't have to do anything or remember to take a pill. It's constant for 3 years so surely that would be a better idea than starting and stopping the pill?

(Original post by dumbus_blondus)
    Also I'm still on it after last summer, but definitely taking it completely regularly. That's why a lot of people stay on it once they're used to it- there's no point switching if your body's finally used to it!
    Oh I see... thank you so much for your response it really helped!

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Why don't you just get an implant fitted? It's there for 3 years and you don't have to do anything or remember to take a pill. It's constant for 3 years so surely that would be a better idea than starting and stopping the pill?
    The idea of that makes me really squirmish... I think it's going to be around a year before he next visits, but thank you for replying!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.