Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have my work experience next week at my old secondary school and I am massively nervous! Can anyone tell me what to expect or how I should prepare? I am applying for secondary history 2011

Thanks !!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was quite nervous as well but it was fine, I just observed quietly, asked the odd question, spoke to the odd student etc. It's obviously very strange being in the Teahcers lounge and stuff like that but you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine. Easily.
    Ive just completed work experience at a primary school and have been asked to go back whenever im free!
    Make sure you are eager. ALWAYS offer to do stuff for the teacher such as photocopying for lessons etc. Talk to the students and encourage them to work if they are just messing around and talking. Try to get to know the staff as they will probably make useful contacts for you. Dress fairly smartly and be carful with makeup etc. Its preferable to only wear mascara and keep your hair neat and tidy.

ReputationRep:
    hey, I'm doing my work experience this week for secondary maths. It's going really well so far and the staff are very friendly. I asked to be in classes across all the year groups and ability sets, however I've found that I have learned a lot more from ks3 classes and found 6th form quite dull. Make sure you ask the teachers lots of questions, they like to be knowlegable and brush up on the curriculum so when the kids ask you questions you know what you're talking about!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing work experience this week. and also hoping to do secondary history.
    I am really really enjoying it so far. don't be nervous, im doing it at my old secondary school and I was nervous at first but it's been such a good experience and really nice to see old teachers etc.

Just get involved and talk to the staff as much as possible to get an idea of it.
    I've gone to a few other subjects too and that's been really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosief18)
    Hi guys,

I have my work experience next week at my old secondary school and I am massively nervous! Can anyone tell me what to expect or how I should prepare? I am applying for secondary history 2011

Thanks !!!!
    Personally, I would not have chosen to do work experience at an old school; it makes some things easier, but there are a lot of hidden traps, and you are unlikely to work there in future so it is rather unrealistic to be honest. Nevertheless, I think it is important to: accept that staff will either like and support you unconditionally or dislike you irrespective of what you actually do in the classroom; acknowledge your boundaries - it is a school and children are only there (approximately) 10% of their time in each year so do not expect everyone to reciprocate your enthusiasm for your subject, and do not expect to make a positive impact on everyone; develop a way of talking to pupils in all situations that feels natural to you (if you do have discipline someone it should not come as a surprise to the pupil, or make you look ridiculous); and in reference to the previous point, do not take yourself too seriously - comfortable honest communication will make your life so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    When i have work experience in my department, it is good when they ask lots of questions, seem eager and go around and speak to the pupils (helping them with tasks when possible.

ReputationRep:
    I've ot work experience this week. What should I look out for? Is there anything specific that I should take note off?

ReputationRep:
    depends what subject/age group you are looking at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline_p3)
    depends what subject/age group you are looking at?
    Secondary Maths.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.